Rock crabs not going in inventory after being killed???

Tinks

Planter
in beach game I managed to get one but now trying to get a rock crab on another file to get the 3 crab pots and its not going in inventory at all?? I hit it with pickaxe as wiki says while moving until it comes out of shell then hit it to kill it and not getting a crab in my inventory at all even though I've definitely killed it????

Don't understand why it worked in other game first time but won't go in inventory in this one even though there's loads of space in inventory????

Reactions: Tom

Planter
Rock crabs do not automatically go in your inventory after you kill them. You have a 15% chance of getting an actual crab as a drop after the kill. You'll see a crab bouncing around you for a few seconds, it's unmissable. If you didn't see the bouncing crab, then the enemy didn't drop it. Just keep killing foes and you should get it.

More info here :smile:

Lew Zealand

Helper
And in a parallel experience, when you kill Ghosts, they have a small percentage chance of dropping a Ghostfish, which dance around for a few seconds before going into your inventory, just like the Crab drop does. I've only gotten that on my most recent save and never saw it before, it was quite a strange experience being entertained by a dancing fish while trying to fend off other attacking monsters. +1 to binocular vision so you can catch a show while working your job at the same time.

LRangerR

Local Legend
And in a parallel experience, when you kill Ghosts, they have a small percentage chance of dropping a Ghostfish, which dance around for a few seconds before going into your inventory, just like the Crab drop does. I've only gotten that on my most recent save and never saw it before, it was quite a strange experience being entertained by a dancing fish while trying to fend off other attacking monsters. +1 to binocular vision so you can catch a show while working your job at the same time.
The perks of working across the street from the drive-in theater

Tinks

Planter
Rock crabs do not automatically go in your inventory after you kill them. You have a 15% chance of getting an actual crab as a drop after the kill. You'll see a crab bouncing around you for a few seconds, it's unmissable. If you didn't see the bouncing crab, then the enemy didn't drop it. Just keep killing foes and you should get it.

More info here :smile:
yeah I read that page!... it just said getting the shell off it causes it to flee

oh just seen it on the right where it says different things and percentages....I didn't understand what they were referring to! ...had just read the main text trying to see if it said whether you had to kill them a specific way

my maths is terrible.... how many more do I need to try and kill then before getting a chance it will drop one in the other game? ....cos on the beach farm game I got one from the very first time in the mines! (before level 20).

Last edited:

nicodeux

Farmer
my maths is terrible.... how many more do I need to try and kill then before getting a chance it will drop one in the other game? ....cos on the beach farm game I got one from the very first time in the mines! (before level 20).
There is a 15% probability when you kill a Rock Crab that it will drop a Crab. This means that if you kill 100 Rock Crabs, you will get an average (stress on that word) of 15 Crabs, if you kill 1000 Rock Crabs, you'll get an average of 150 Crabs and so on...

The important word here is "average", it means that you are not guaranteed to get 15 Crabs for 100 Rock Crabs killed. It could be more, it could be less. It could be much more, it could be much less. But in the long run, the average value will be 15 for 100 kills.

As the drop chance is the same for all Rock Crabs, I suggest that you do the 29 first levels of the Mines repeatedly, because enemies are not very tough and there are many Rock Crabs down here.

Last edited:

Tinks

Planter
managed to get one and the bait so have 3 crab pots and 5 wild bait from Linus and was coming to ask where is best place to put them (Forest Farm game so no private beach) to catch fish needed for some of the jumino quests.....but now have another problem...... I can't find my watering can in any chest and suspect I've put it in shipping bin by mistake or it was one of the items stolen off me in the mines by thieving villagers pretending to revive you!! :grumpy: ....so can't water my crops or feed the cat!!! ...so ..

1) how do I get another watering can????
2) where's best place to put my 3 crab pots to get some high value fish that can go in a jumino bundle (whichever would be most useful)?

nicodeux

Farmer
1) I don't think you can loose or sell your watering can. At least, I'm sure you cannot sell/ship it. I doubt you can loose it from passing out in the Mines but just to be sure, I suggest that you speak to Marlon in the Adventurer's Guild: he can retrieve one item for you, so if you lost your watering can in the Mines, it should be in the list.

2) Crab posts will give you either trash items (that you can recycle) or fishs/shells that only fit in the Crab Pot bundle from the Fish Tank. Note that crab posts will produce different items depending on the water they are settled in (fresh water/ocean). If you are looking for fishes required for the other Fish Tank bundles (Ocean Fish, River Fish...), you will need to fish them in the corresponding water or try to buy them from the Traveling Cart merchant (Cindersap Forest on Friday and Sunday, random stock).

Lew Zealand

Helper
I typically put my Crab Pots in the River for a few days and then the Ocean for a few more days to get the Community Center Bundles out of the way. Sometimes a few additional things can be found laying out on the Beach.

No, Haley is not part of a Bundle*.

As for the missing Watering Can, I tend to find mine in the Refrigerator when it goes missing. I'm not sure, but if you have an Auto-Grabber, you might be able to put it in there accidentally, I mean... for safekeeping.

* I find in the Summer that Alex has Foraged that particular item before I get there, however.

Tinks

Planter
1) I don't think you can loose or sell your watering can. At least, I'm sure you cannot sell/ship it. I doubt you can loose it from passing out in the Mines but just to be sure, I suggest that you speak to Marlon in the Adventurer's Guild: he can retrieve one item for you, so if you lost your watering can in the Mines, it should be in the list.

2) Crab posts will give you either trash items (that you can recycle) or fishs/shells that only fit in the Crab Pot bundle from the Fish Tank. Note that crab posts will produce different items depending on the water they are settled in (fresh water/ocean). If you are looking for fishes required for the other Fish Tank bundles (Ocean Fish, River Fish...), you will need to fish them in the corresponding water or try to buy them from the Traveling Cart merchant (Cindersap Forest on Friday and Sunday, random stock).
Found it in the fridge!!!! :laugh: ...seems my farmer is just as scatty as me in real life!! ...TV remote in fridge...anyone?...nope just me???

Just wondered if there were any spots where you nearly always can get good fish using the crab pots as I've only got 3 pots and 5 bait. The river fish bundle would be good for the 30 free bait!.... where would I place them to get the river fish? (sunfish, cat fish, shad, tiger trout)

Tinks

Planter
I typically put my Crab Pots in the River for a few days and then the Ocean for a few more days to get the Community Center Bundles out of the way. Sometimes a few additional things can be found laying out on the Beach.

No, Haley is not part of a Bundle*.

As for the missing Watering Can, I tend to find mine in the Refrigerator when it goes missing. I'm not sure, but if you have an Auto-Grabber, you might be able to put it in there accidentally, I mean... for safekeeping.

* I find in the Summer that Alex has Foraged that particular item before I get there, however.

lol yes I found mine in the fridge!

The River fish bundle would be good for the 30 free bait....any tips on best spots on the river? (and which river? ) I'm in my forest farm game so no river on the farm or beach. Haven't unlocked desert or anything else yet in this game just Pelican Town area??

Lew Zealand

Helper
lol yes I found mine in the fridge!

The River fish bundle would be good for the 30 free bait....any tips on best spots on the river? (and which river? ) I'm in my forest farm game so no river on the farm or beach. Haven't unlocked desert or anything else yet in this game just Pelican Town area??
As far as I know, no spot in the same body of water (River, Lake, or Ocean) is any better or worse for what you catch in the Crab Pots, so just put them in a spot you go past frequently. I usually use the few spaces to the East or West of the bridge to the Beach in town. And along the Dock at the Ocean as I head past there to sell stuff to Willy.

And the Fridge will eat up many things in your inventory, always check there when something goes missing! One day I will find the remnants of my Swiss cheese memory smushed to the back next to some old Periwinkles.

imnvs

Local Legend
Just wondered if there were any spots where you nearly always can get good fish using the crab pots as I've only got 3 pots and 5 bait. The river fish bundle would be good for the 30 free bait!.... where would I place them to get the river fish? (sunfish, cat fish, shad, tiger trout)
You can't catch those fish with a crab pot. Crab pots only catch crustaceans. Those are caught with a fishing rod.

Reactions: Tom

Tom

Rancher
To get the fish you are asking about, you must either be a faithful Traveling Cart patron or you must spend about 3 to 5 days (to get to Level 5+) fishing all day (in front of the Fish Shop or east of the Carpenter) to get your green minigame bar long enough to catch harder stuff. With even more fishing (Level 10) and a Trapper Bobber, you can catch almost anything.

It's hard to recommend a procedure that works for everybody, but here's what @Zamiel's guide generally says:
1. Fish with the training rod at the Fish Shop until you are Fishing level 2. This will probably happen in less than a day even if you don't play the minigame (even if you leave the green bar at the bottom, no buttons pushed).
2. As soon as you get to Fishing level 2 and have 2000 gp (by checking your menu skills, or getting a notice overnight, or having the UIInfoSuite2 mod installed to ring when you level up), buy a Fiberglass Rod and many dozens of bait from the Fish Shop. You can do this the instant you reach Fishing level 2 as long as the shop is open.
3. On days after that (in Spring), if it's sunny, go east of the Carpenter's shop. If it's raining and you are level 4 or higher, go 6 tiles west of Leah's door and battle the valuable and mighty Catfish if you can catch some of them.

Last edited:
What you can do with the crab pot catches is build fish ponds. Except for clams, any crab pot fish can go into a fish pond. Just collect the products from the pond to collect fishing XP.

I recommend a crab pond. Willy will be pleased.
Crab ponds are great! Sea Urchin ponds are also nice. I’d recommend a lobster pond though so if and when you do want to give regular fishing a whirl you’re supplied with the lobster to make plenty of lobster bisque! +4 fishing helps quite a bit if you’re struggling after all.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Crab ponds are great! Sea Urchin ponds are also nice. I’d recommend a lobster pond though so if and when you do want to give regular fishing a whirl you’re supplied with the lobster to make plenty of lobster bisque! +4 fishing helps quite a bit if you’re struggling after all.
Ha, funny because I always get Midnight Squid and Midnight Carp Ponds for Seafoam Pudding. I usually have enough leftover Flounder that I don't make a Pond for those. Different strategy, same endpoint. Though Lobster Bisque is only +3 Fishing but is much less resource intensive to make.