Mac [resolved]Sonoma 14.1 GOG launch crash - no user/.config location anymore?

wildandblue

Sodbuster
Update: After restoring my Mac from an older Time Machine backup that included SDV and SMAPI, SDV runs fine with no issues. I have no idea why yesterday's experience was so odd. There's a user/.config folder now too. Something went wonky but I'm not going to spend more time on it.

I'm a bit stumped after upgrading to Sonoma 14.1 and doing a clean install of SDV via the standalone GOG offline backup installer for 15.6.39. I don't use GOG Galaxy.

Here's what's happening:

- The GOG standalone installed version is stardew_valley_enUS_1_5_6_1988831614_53039.
- The game crashes on launch using the normal app icon.
- If I launch using a UNIX executable in the Contents/MacOS folder, I can play and create a save. Same thing happens if I install SMAPI (but no other mods) and launch via the StardewModdingAPI executable.
- Save files are no longer in user/.config, but in a new location at user/Stardew Valley/saves. The .config location isn't created and doesn't exist.
- If I exit the game normally (launched via the executable) and reopen (again via the executable), no saves are found even though they're in the newly-created user/Stardew Valley location.
- I was able to install, play, reload saves, and then install SMAPI and loads of mods just last week prior to the Sonoma 14.1 update.
- Just to be sure, I redownloaded the GOG standalone installer, but got the same results after three install and launch attempts.
- After each SDV uninstall (using https://freemacsoft.net/appcleaner/), I rebooted my Mac. I ran Disk First Aid to see if anything came up, but it's clean.
- In fact, I did a clean OS install today too (for a reason unrelated to SDV) and haven't had issues installing and using other newly-installed apps.

Did the Sonoma 14.1 update break anything for other Mac users? Am I missing something? Are there workarounds I can try? Thanks for all suggestions. I can provide a crash log if needed.

Last edited:

wildandblue

Sodbuster
What was the fix that resolved this, I'm having the same issue? Thanks for any replies.
As I mentioned in the update at the top of my post, what worked for me was restoring from a Time Machine backup. I don't know what caused the behavior.