Solved [RESOLVED in 1.5.4] PC - Game Crashes When Interacting With Objects After Warping with Wand

jackharvest

Greenhorn
If you warp with the teleportation wand, and immediately engage with the forge (edit: Or other object, as seen below in examples), the dialogue will successfully come on the screen even though your character has already performed the warping animation, crashing the game.

How to Replicate: I was mashing "A" on my Xbox controller, hooked to PC, using the Wand to warp home at 1:50AM, but I was in front of the forge, which opened the dialogue on accident. (Additionally, and I don't know if this matters, by mashing A, my sword had also become selected, and was hovering over the forge dialogue window). When the screen went dark (to complete the teleportation to the farm animation) the game crashed me to the desktop.

Last edited:
I managed to consistently replicate this bug. Basically, I put myself in front of the forge with the teleportation wand selected, and I click with both mouse buttons. If the left clicks (activating the wand) just before the right (See edit below) (opening the forge dialogue), it crashes reliably. Doesn't look there is any other prerequisites for this.

Here's the crash info (The error message is basically Unable to access discarded object):

Nombre del objeto: 'Texture2D'.
InnerException:
Stack Trace: en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Helpers.CheckDisposed(Object obj, IntPtr pComPtr)
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.TextureCollection.set_Item(Int32 index, Texture value)
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.RenderBatch(Texture2D texture, SpriteInfo[] sprites, Int32 offset, Int32 count)
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.Flush()
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Graphics.SpriteBatch.End()
en StardewValley.Game1._draw(GameTime gameTime, RenderTarget2D target_screen) en C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:línea 19802
en StardewValley.Game1.Draw(GameTime gameTime) en C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Game1.cs:línea 18697
en StardewValley.GameRunner.Draw(GameTime gameTime) en C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\LocalMultiplayer.cs:línea 642
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.DrawFrame()
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
en System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
en System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
en Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
en StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args) en C:\GitlabRunner\builds\Gq5qA5P4\0\ConcernedApe\stardewvalley\Farmer\Farmer\Program.cs:línea 156

Game Version: 1.5.3
SDK Helper: SteamHelper
Game Language: en
GPU: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050 Ti
In-game Date: spring 16 Y5 Time of Day: 730
Game Location: Farm

--------------------------------------------------------------------

EDIT: In fact, you don't need to make it simultaneously at all. Looks like the player is actually there and able to interact with the forge the whole time the animation of the wand is ongoing. I think I got to wait a full second (right before the fade to black starts) and the forge menu can be called still.

Last edited:
Ok, this bug goes beyond the forge. The player is able to interact with lots of things in the time they "disappear" until the fade to black starts. That's a full second, as far as I saw. So far I've found out that:
  • You can pick things from chests while teleporting.
  • You can take and put things from and to your farm fridge after teleporting. Like, in front of your door:
  • fridge.png
  • You can open the kitchen and cook while in front of your farm door.
  • kitchen.png
  • If you use a obelisk during the transition, you activate a second transition, and the final destination is the one of the obelisk. If you open a door, you first go inside the location, and then the teleporting occurs and end up in front of your home.
  • If you use the mini-obelisk, you blink in and out of existence for less of a second when appearing next to the other mini-obelisk.
  • If you use anything that brings up a dialogue box, the screen remains black until you dismiss the box (the box can be seen). Found with scarecrows, the farm computer, the TV (when bringing up a "select option" dialogue box, selecting one just closes the box and you get teleported without following your option. Happened when selecting TV channel).
  • You can pick things from machines and chests during the transition. Doesn't look like this can be used for item duplication, but maybe I just didn't find out how.
  • If you open up a chest in the farm outside, you can "remote pick" things anytime. The inventory stays open even when you are at your farmhouse door.
  • If you try to use the wand in front of a NPC that is walking towards you, it doesn't activate when they're less than two tiles of distance to you.
  • If I interact with a vendor NPC after starting wand teleporting, I can buy and sell from my farm (Pierre finally offers distance buying. Must be because of the pandemic).
  • pierre.png
  • With the telephone, this leads to calling from your door:
  • marnie.png
  • I can rearrange the museum from my home! Except I can't...
  • gunther.png
  • Trying to use Willy's boat has some curious effect. You end up like this:
  • island.png
  • however, I can still move! The map is static like this, I can get out of screen no problem. Teleporting again sets everything back right. Until I go back to Willy's, where the game proceeds with the rest of the cutscene like normal... and when it ends, I'm in the boat screen, not at the island.
  • Mmm... I can buy buildings while I'm at the farm?
  • wizard.png
  • When I try to move buildings, I disappear from the farm while moving things around. Cool! so I'm not present when it happens. Let's cancel then and... go back to the wizard's tower? When I'm no longer there?
  • noone.png
  • At least I can use the wand to get back.

Causes a crash:
  • Using the tailoring machine.
  • Using the dye pots at Emily's.
  • Using the calendar.
  • When using the bug while picking a ticket to the desert, I appeared next to grandpa's shrine, my farmer was moving right constantly, and I cannot make them do anything else. I guess she's stuck trying to get inside the bus. A softlock, actually, the game keeps on, but no ingame time seems to pass.
  • When using the Junimo Kart game, if I don't select mode before end of transition, selecting anything closes box and teleports to farm. If I select a mode before, the game starts. The minigame seems to play normally. But, when escaping back, the player is immobile, only able to select from current inventory bar. If I do not change item from bar, I can use wand again, appear at farmhouse door and everything looks to go well. If I change to any other item, no item in the bar can be used, including wand itself. In-game time continues. You can interact again with the machine, but it won't free your movement to do so. Softlock.
  • Same with Prairie's machine. Note: Both of this with furniture ones you can put at your home.
  • Using the Wizard's Shrine. You get to your farm with the appearance menu open, with no obvious problem. The moment you change something (at least, pet option), though, crashes.
Ok, maybe there probably was no need to be this thorough, but it was fun doing it, and why not share my findings anyway?

TL;DR: Being able to interact with a thing in front of you after using the teleportation wand leads to all kinds of wacky results. Please patch.

Last edited: