1.6 Update Refusing the stray pet

RandomlyOnline

Newcomer
Now that you can adopt multiple pets what happens if you refuse to adopt the first pet will you be able to adopt others at Marnie or will it never give you the option as you cant get 10 hearts?

Odyssey

Tiller
Oh ok. I thought it originally was some kind of reward for reaching max friendship points with your dog or cat. Did not realize that was changed.
I think the patch notes said that if you didn't have a pet for any reason by year 2 you could buy one from Marnie. The wording suggested to me that if you did have a pet it had to be at max friendship to get any others but I could be wrong about that. I am fairly sure that maxing pet friendship in year one will still unlock extra pets.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Looks like he changed the reasoning behind it and not having a Pet while initially playing the game could be less distracting for some players. Once they're in their Farming/Chilling groove Year 2 or later then taking care of the Pet could be easier.

ArtifactSpot

Pets at max hearts will occasionally give you gifts in 1.6, so you'd have more chance of that with more pets. I've had a couple of different fish, a snail, and some bat wings from my cat so far. ☺
“gift” being a relative term. Dead animal leftovers are not gifts in my mind, but they are sure proud of themselves when they do share their kill. Where do the in game ones leave presents, your porch? That’s where our family dog left his treasures.

SoftViceMaster

Farmhand
Does having more than 1 pets, benefit the player in any manner?
I imagine that it's just for those who want the multiple pets, because getting a cat/dog is really only for the easy Friendship Points and I don't think the extra pets help with that (haven't checked yet tho as I'm still in Year One on my new file).

VampireCake

Rancher
“gift” being a relative term. Dead animal leftovers are not gifts in my mind, but they are sure proud of themselves when they do share their kill. Where do the in game ones leave presents, your porch? That’s where our family dog left his treasures.
As far as I can tell, they'll drop it when you pet them. Which in my case is in bed at the end of the night. Thanks Mojo, I appreciate the lump of green algae on my pillow.

A pet at full hearts will sometimes (fairly often) drop gifts when you pet them. I've gotten bone fragments, hardwood, driftwood, clay, and stone so far. One of my dogs seems more varied while the other almost exclusively gives bone fragments or a piece of hardwood. These are on two different saves/farms so maybe the farm type plays a role.

LRangerR

Local Legend
A pet at full hearts will sometimes (fairly often) drop gifts when you pet them. I've gotten bone fragments, hardwood, driftwood, clay, and stone so far. One of my dogs seems more varied while the other almost exclusively gives bone fragments or a piece of hardwood. These are on two different saves/farms so maybe the farm type plays a role.
Sounds like the kinda stuff a dog would bring in. Tracking clay all over the floor and leaving bones everywhere.

Quirinea

Farmer
Our family dog brought us a dead rat. He was so proud of himself. Dogs go after plenty too.
A neighbour's dog was chasing lemmings during an invasion (oh, those little rodents are mad! I remember a local scout camp: I went out of the tent to fetch more firewood (it was cold though it was summer and we had a tent stove) and there was a lemming in the woodpile who told me very clearly to bugger off...), and had put them in a row on the porch...

Sounds like a cat, all right. One of mine IRL brought in a duckling that was nearly as big as the cat.
Not bad. I know of a cat who brought in a spider, thank you very much. 🥶

Obviously, my in-game cat eats the bats from the cave. She threw up bat wings several times. Small wonder there's sometimes little to no fruit in the cave.

Last edited: