Coding Help Rainy Dialogue

Hello Everyone!

As you can tell I am obviously new here in the threads but I have been creeping for some time. I decided to build two dialogue mod(s) for characters that I really wanted a more immersive feeling! Now to get to my confusion.

I have downloaded and looked at a lot of dialogue mod(s) that helped me create the ones I have now, but I wanted more. More specifically on rainy days *when* not married! I was sick of seeing almost the same dialogue over and over, but I only found one mod that truly wrote anything for the rainy dialogue, and I read over the stardew wiki like a hawk for anything that I could be missing but this was the example from the mod:

LogName": "Rainy",
"Action": "EditData",
"Target": "Characters/Dialogue/rainy",
"Entries":
{
"Sam": "blah blah blah rain sucks",

But as you can see you can only have one dialogue labeled as "Sam" I wanted more than one dialogue, I kind of wanted maybe 3-6 more but when I tried to search for anything nothing came up. I do not even know how to code it properly if I wanted more than 3-5 lines of rainy dialogue. Unless I have to copy and past the same code as above but with a different sentence obviously, but then how would the game know to go between all of them? I was also thinking of breaking into the XNB dialogue files within the game itself just to see how concernedape did it but I truly am not that confident as I have just been starting building mods, and dialogue mods is far away from programming lol

If anyone can give me some pointers, or help in this that would be greatly appreciated!~

ChristineBowen

Newcomer
Hello Everyone!

As you can tell I am obviously new here in the threads but I have been creeping for some time. I decided to build two dialogue mod(s) for characters that I really wanted a more immersive feeling! Now to get to my confusion.

I have downloaded and looked at a lot of dialogue mod(s) that helped me create the ones I have now, but I wanted more. More specifically on rainy days *when* not married! I was sick of seeing almost the same dialogue over and over, but I only found one mod that truly wrote anything for the rainy dialogue, and I read over the stardew wiki like a hawk for anything that I could be missing but this was the example from the mod:

"Entries":
{

But as you can see you can only have one dialogue labeled as "Sam" I wanted more than one dialogue, I kind of wanted maybe 3-6 more but when I tried to search for anything nothing came up. I do not even know how to code it properly if I wanted more than 3-5 lines of rainy dialogue. Unless I have to copy and past the same code as above but with a different sentence obviously, but then how would the game know to go between all of them? I was also thinking of breaking into the XNB dialogue files within the game itself just to see how concernedape did it but I truly am not that confident as I have just been starting building mods, and dialogue mods is far away from programming lol

If anyone can give me some pointers, or help in this that would be greatly appreciated!~

Hello! It's great to see that you're interested in creating dialogue mods for your favorite characters in the game. Adding more varied dialogue, especially for specific situations like rainy days when the character is not married, can indeed enhance the immersive experience. I was looking for High-Quality Academic Assistance when I found this website: Assistance is available at https://samedaypapers.com/complete-coursework/ site link as you can see that they can help you out to finish your homework on time deadlines, and also save plenty of your time.
Have you resolved it?

Edit: Still waiting :(

Last edited:

Velocityissin

Farmhand
I think you could mess around with the when field that is used by content patcher. It won't be random but you could add a seasonal variant, maybe tie it to the time of the day or the location.
Git hub link so you can see what's possible to use.

"Entries":
{
},
"When": {
"Season": "winter"}
Something like this could work but I'm not 100 % sure. And just a bit of advice when you're using something that has variables true or false you need to add both outcomes. (Idk how to call it.)
{
"Action": "",
"Target": "",
"FromFile": "",
"When":
{
"IsOutDoors": false,
"Season": "winter",
},
},

{
"Action": "",
"Target": "",
"FromFile": "",
"When":
{
"IsOutDoors": true,
"Season": "winter",
},
},

This is from a portraits content pack but it shoud work about the same. Keep in mind that if you use multiple tokens they might cancel each other out. Basically, if you have rainy dialouge that works indoors and out doors and you also make some that works based on season, then one of them won't show up since the two of them are correct so the game will either favor one over the other, or you'll get an error in SMAPI and the default will be used. (Probably the latter will happen, but I didn't check.)
In this case the variables are used in one place so both of the things must be positive for the thing you want to add to show up. If you make a different version for season and if he's indoor or outdoor that would make 8 in total but if you mess around with what you can find in the git hub link you could find probably make more.
You also wrote about the dialouge being different before and after marriage. That shouldn't be a problem at all, since the marriage dialouge and normal dialouge are formated much differently, and are completely seperate ingame files.
I need to add that I never done something like this before but it should work in theory, based on my understanding of how Content Patcher works. I must add that from my expirience the rain dialouge works kind of strange, so you won't be able to add any of the fun stuff like questions or the #$e# breaks since they just won't work as intended. By the way that also applies to the location based dialouge.
I need to add that I never actually done this before so not sure if it will work as intended. Hope this helps.

roggymp3

Newcomer
I've seen this done in other mods, like "Immersive Saloon", using the random token.

documentation: https://github.com/Pathoschild/Star...her/docs/author-guide/tokens.md#randomization

Example:

"Sam ": "{{Random: Blah blah blah 1 && blah blah blah 2 $l && blah blah blah 3 |inputSeparator=&&}}",
i saw this too! i wanted to try it out but once i loaded the mod i did it'd tell me something along the lines of requiring "Format 1.15.0" and just ignored anything with that command??