Question Question - changing mod folders & names?

KCrow-in!

Newcomer
Sorry, I hope I'm posting to the right place.

I'm wondering if I can change the name of a mod folder, or place a mod folder in another folder, and still have the mod work just fine?

For example,
if I moved "BetterFarmAnimalVariety" into a folder called "Functionality", would the other mods that rely on it still be able to find it?
If I changed the name of the folder to "1-BetterFarmAnimalVariety", would that cause other mods to break?

I have some BFAV folders that don't all follow the same naming convention and it's driving me nuts. I recently downloaded a BFAV mod that has many animals in one folder, and I'd like to be able to add my other BFAV folders to that mod's folder, but give them a prefix so I know they weren't originally from that folder...but I don't know if I can do that safely, and I don't really want to cause my save file to become dysfunctional because I don't have a lot of time to play Stardew Valley, and I'd like to make it to the marrying stage this time. (I only have a couple of days to play - mods speed things up for me and make them more fun.)

I hope this isn't too much of a "noob" question for you guys!

On a slightly unrelated note - whats the learning curve for getting into modding like? Is it a nightmare? I have a small amount of coding experience and I'm an artist, and I had thought it might be really fun to make an animal or an outfit.

Anyways, if anyone has time to answer this, that would be great! Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

TildenJack

Tiller
if I moved "BetterFarmAnimalVariety" into a folder called "Functionality", would the other mods that rely on it still be able to find it?
Yes.

If I changed the name of the folder to "1-BetterFarmAnimalVariety", would that cause other mods to break?
No.

All that matters is what's inside those folders. And mods are found by their manifest file, so it doesn't matter where you put them, as long as the structure of the mod itself remains intact.

On a slightly unrelated note - whats the learning curve for getting into modding like? Is it a nightmare?
Depends on what you want to make, but most of it is relatively straightforward. Just have a look at the json files of similar mods to your ideas.
Implementing new NPCs with dialogue and events can be difficult, however, but that's where this tool comes in handy.

KCrow-in!

Newcomer
Yes.

No.

All that matters is what's inside those folders. And mods are found by their manifest file, so it doesn't matter where you put them, as long as the structure of the mod itself remains intact.

Depends on what you want to make, but most of it is relatively straightforward. Just have a look at the json files of similar mods to your ideas.
Implementing new NPCs with dialogue and events can be difficult, however, but that's where this tool comes in handy.
I had a reply written out for this but I think it didn't send. I only just noticed.

Thanks for the response! I appreciate it! I'm also really excited about the tool you sent. It looks awesome!