Quarry event: Landslides

noobsqoou

Planter
Probably one of my main disappointments when I first started this game back in 1.4.X was that the quarry didn't provide a very abundant source of stone. Items generate there so slowly that it makes more sense to convert the area into a keg battery and instead spam the heck out of the first level of the mines for boulders until unlocking crystalariums and deconstructors for the jade => staircase => (99) stone trick.

I think a fun infrequent event would be to have Joja's "entirely legal" drilling operation periodically cause a landslide at the quarry, causing something like 20-30 boulders to spawn overnight in place of whatever is already there. This could also be a mischievous way to nerf building in that area, too.

Ereo

Helper
I like your idea (and I love random events).

I read that the quarry respawn rates are higher in 1.6 but I don’t know how much and if it makes it more useful.

Probably one of my main disappointments when I first started this game back in 1.4.X was that the quarry didn't provide a very abundant source of stone. Items generate there so slowly that it makes more sense to convert the area into a keg battery and instead spam the heck out of the first level of the mines for boulders until unlocking crystalariums and deconstructors for the jade => staircase => (99) stone trick.

I think a fun infrequent event would be to have Joja's "entirely legal" drilling operation periodically cause a landslide at the quarry, causing something like 20-30 boulders to spawn overnight in place of whatever is already there. This could also be a mischievous way to nerf building in that area, too.
May I ask why you need that much stone?
I never had problems to have enough stone.
Joja's "entirely legal" drilling operation producing a landslide is a funny idea. But it ends when Joja leaves the village...

Lew Zealand

Helper
Joja's "entirely legal" drilling operation producing a landslide is a funny idea. But it ends when Joja leaves the village...
Big Stone Chests will consume a stack of 999 Stone for 4 and many Farm buildings need 100s of Stone as well. If you do a lot of building and organization, you can run through 1000s of Stone pretty quickly.

noobsqoou

Planter
Many machines, buildings, and fertilizers require large amounts of stone (https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Stone). I also generally prefer stone paths over wooden ones.

I always thought the drilling operation had more to do with corporate than the actual store in the village, but tbf it is Morris that sends that letter. On a tangential note, it could be fun to have the abandoned drill site become accessible as a new area, and maybe that could be a means of acquiring large quantities of stone.

Maybe it could be a mix of both. Keep the current area as-is, but expand an area to the east that gets covered with harder stones. where you can't build because everything breaks there with the constant landslides.
This area could be called "The Quarry Pit" or "The Quarry Talus", the area would look like a slope where the hardest and most valuable ores are at the bottom, and you have to make your way from the top to the bottom.

To open up the right side of the quarry, you'd need have all objects cleared off the quarry (including any decorations and machines), and a large stack of Mega Bombs, and interact with a detonator that would appear on the right side of the Quarry after Community/Joja has been completed, or maybe have a new "lost bundle" there that requires mining/dungeon stuff.
Using the detonator would poke a hole in the right wall that would lead to an area where you can't place machines or decorations, and the stones are harder to break. There the stones would take much longer to refresh, but they would refresh in much larger numbers, and enemies like rock crabs and duggies may spawn there. Basically the "Secret Woods" equivalent of the Quarry.