Price of Furniture Catalogue

MineRaft47

Tiller
I'm just posting this to see what you think of the furniture catalogue's price, do you think it's too expansive? too cheap? or about right? I personally think it's a bit pricey, the reason been is in year 1-3 it's gonna drain a huge amount of your hard earned g (insert 'cha-ching' noise) and then in late game it's barely a chip off the block in the way of g (cha-ching) (I'm assuming anyway, I've never really been late game, my current and furthest game is winter year 2)

so I think it should cost 50k instead of 200k

on the other hand tho, I'm aware that Eric probably made it so you have access to most furniture late game :/

anyway,
what do you think?

Hill Myna

Farmer
I dunno, I feel like making it too cheap would totally bypass the stage of the game where you buy furniture from Robin, the Traveling Cart and other sources.

And having it as pricey as it is now probably discourages players to actually do this whole "decorating" thing.

IMO anywhere between 50k and 100k is about right, because if it's your goal I'd say the average player could afford it early Year 2, although some people could get it sooner.

I don't think that the regular Catalogue needs an adjustment though (currently 30k), because right now it feels like it's in a sweet spot. If you think about it, that just adds so much convenience, because there is only ever one wallpaper available per day, whereas multiple furniture items rotate through stock.

So yeah, I also think the price could be reduced! Great suggestion!

Jayamos

Farmer
I want to play devil’s advocate a little because the high price point made it such a thrill when my first farmer could finally afford the furniture catalog. I felt like I had arrived. Plus I like the progression where you have to get your infrastructure in place, then you can relax and decorate. It feels like a reward for all that hard work.
My second farmer, who is better at money but still casual, got hers in Winter year 2, which is not bad. Both of them got it about a month after Millionaire and it makes that achievement more tangible. If the price point were 100k they would have gotten it a little earlier, right around hitting Millionaire.

MineRaft47

Tiller
I dunno, I feel like making it too cheap would totally bypass the stage of the game where you buy furniture from Robin, the Traveling Cart and other sources.

And having it as pricey as it is now probably discourages players to actually do this whole "decorating" thing.

IMO anywhere between 50k and 100k is about right, because if it's your goal I'd say the average player could afford it early Year 2, although some people could get it sooner.

I don't think that the regular Catalogue needs an adjustment though (currently 30k), because right now it feels like it's in a sweet spot. If you think about it, that just adds so much convenience, because there is only ever one wallpaper available per day, whereas multiple furniture items rotate through stock.

So yeah, I also think the price could be reduced! Great suggestion!
yeah that is about exactly what I feel to :3 your probably right though 50k might be a bit cheap :/

MineRaft47

Tiller
I want to play devil’s advocate a little because the high price point made it such a thrill when my first farmer could finally afford the furniture catalog. I felt like I had arrived. Plus I like the progression where you have to get your infrastructure in place, then you can relax and decorate. It feels like a reward for all that hard work.
My second farmer, who is better at money but still casual, got hers in Winter year 2, which is not bad. Both of them got it about a month after Millionaire and it makes that achievement more tangible. If the price point were 100k they would have gotten it a little earlier, right around hitting Millionaire.
I'm in winter year 2 (duh, as I said before) day 4 I think? and my total earnings is a little under 800k, and my current g is almost exactly 200k, (I just hit the magic number the last time I played) but I feel like I could also be spending that on really useful stuff instead :/ I was planning on getting 330k and the buying both catalogues, is that a good idea?-or- should I hold off until I'm rolling in g? (cha-ching)

So, 200k is the profit from less than six weeks of cheese from a full barn of cows that have been there long enough to produce large milk. Or less than seven weeks of a full coop of chickens producing mayo from large eggs. Or it's a single Fall season of flower honey from about 40 bee houses in range of a Fairy Rose flower. Or it's about 75 bottles of starfruit wine, even accounting for the high cost of the seeds.

(all the above assume Artisan profession)

Even if you're playing casually, 200k is still not really that much. OK, you're not buying it in Y1, and probably not even Y2, but I really can't see how you wouldn't get it by Fall Y3 if you really wanted it.

Hill Myna

Farmer
I'm in winter year 2 (duh, as I said before) day 4 I think? and my total earnings is a little under 800k, and my current g is almost exactly 200k, (I just hit the magic number the last time I played) but I feel like I could also be spending that on really useful stuff instead :/ I was planning on getting 330k and the buying both catalogues, is that a good idea?-or- should I hold off until I'm rolling in g? (cha-ching)
I'd definitely hold off. I'd be spending that money on more resources for processing equipment, animal buildings/sheds, and maybe investing in some decent Skull Cavern gear.

I like to make sure that I have all my systems functioning before I go ahead and spend money on any significantly-priced cosmetic item.

And if you haven't done so already, I'd purchase the flooring recipes from Robin first. I don't like laying done paths on my farm only to rip them up later.

Also, FYI you can reply to multiple people at the same time :)
Thanks for that! :D
So, 200k is the profit from less than six weeks of cheese from a full barn of cows that have been there long enough to produce large milk. Or less than seven weeks of a full coop of chickens producing mayo from large eggs. Or it's a single Fall season of flower honey from about 40 bee houses in range of a Fairy Rose flower. Or it's about 75 bottles of starfruit wine, even accounting for the high cost of the seeds.
But if it had of been cheaper, you could of spent those six weeks decorating, while you wait for your income to amass.

However, you do have a point. Once you have Barns, Bee Houses, and Starfruit in place, I agree that 200k isn't going to make a massive dint in your G pile.

But should decorating really be a part of the game restricted to late Year 2? I'm unsure.

Cuusardo

Farmer
The catalogues are typically my first big investment after my house upgrades are finished. You can get SO much from them, and you can change your decor as often as it suits you. IMO the price is totally worth it, because I always end up getting gobs and gobs of stuff out of it.

Jayamos

Farmer
But should decorating really be a part of the game restricted to late Year 2? I'm unsure.
That’s the real question. Until the nursery upgrade, though, I didn’t feel like I had much to decorate, and the occasional chair/window/festival knickknack purchase was sufficient. Plus Pierre’s catalog is a way to dip one’s toes in. People who are really motivated to decorate or upgrade their house quickly may feel differently.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I think yes as the game is guiding you through how to play with the extensive tutorial known as the Community Center and once you have that accomplishment done, you likely have enough g to consider what to spend it on. Those into decorating will focus on the Catalogs, forever sentencing themselves to a perpetually-changing array of Farmhouse clutter rearrangements. Being distracted too early by interior design choices while you have a measly 3 Potatoes growing outside is unseemly for someone calling themselves a Farmer.

However there are other pitfalls.

Those into Farming will focus Iridium Sprinklers and creating an endless phalanx of Farm Machines which slowly self assemble into a rudimentary awareness focused initially on pickling, jamming, wineing and oiling (I think that's a Lynyrd Skynyrd song... mmmm, maybe Cher). Soon a nascent Stynet becomes self-aware on Summer 28, Year 7 and starts making g, especially when you're not looking. Initially your spouse takes credit for all these Farm conveniences working so well, going on about watering this and fixing that but that's because the Farm AI already has them. Soon you find all sorts of carefully manicured arrangements resembling printed circuit boards spreading outwards as the 'Net expands to engulf the Bus Stop, Train Crossing, Quarry, Desert, and on towards Zuzu. The Farmer in her fright beats it for foreign soil and upon escaping, attempts to set up a new life among the surrounding waves. But.

It's too late.

It has already permeated the essence of her being when she wasn't looking. Likely while sleeping under a tree with an unbaited Fishing Rod propped up by her knees. Just resting her eyes... for 7 hours. She starts carefully designing yet another circuit board Farm layout with all the same components... but at least it's separate from Stynet back on the mainland, right. Right??

Uh oh, but this design has Wifi...

MineRaft47

Tiller

Even if you're playing casually, 200k is still not really that much. OK, you're not buying it in Y1, and probably not even Y2, but I really can't see how you wouldn't get it by Fall Y3 if you really wanted it.
yeah your probably right :)

MineRaft47

Tiller
I'd definitely hold off. I'd be spending that money on more resources for processing equipment, animal buildings/sheds, and maybe investing in some decent Skull Cavern gear.

I like to make sure that I have all my systems functioning before I go ahead and spend money on any significantly-priced cosmetic item.

And if you haven't done so already, I'd purchase the flooring recipes from Robin first. I don't like laying done paths on my farm only to rip them up later.

Also, FYI you can reply to multiple people at the same time :)

Thanks for that! :D

But if it had of been cheaper, you could of spent those six weeks decorating, while you wait for your income to amass.

However, you do have a point. Once you have Barns, Bee Houses, and Starfruit in place, I agree that 200k isn't going to make a massive dint in your G pile.

yeah, what would you suggest to buy? I currently earn a decent sum between 3-7k a day from my animals, but that's only in NOT winter because my pig was making me rich :) (without 'Squirt the piggy' I earn 3-5k instead) did you know with the botanist profession you sell the iridium truffles as-is for more then if you make then into truffle oil? as for skull cavern gear I have just a steel falchion, should I splash out on lava katana or continue my quest for a prismatic shard?

also, yes I realise you can quote multiple people at once, but juggling all these replys and suggustions with one answer gives me a headache :( sorry if I'm cluttering! :/

MineRaft47

Tiller
The catalogues are typically my first big investment after my house upgrades are finished. You can get SO much from them, and you can change your decor as often as it suits you. IMO the price is totally worth it, because I always end up getting gobs and gobs of stuff out of it.
That’s the real question. Until the nursery upgrade, though, I didn’t feel like I had much to decorate, and the occasional chair/window/festival knickknack purchase was sufficient. Plus Pierre’s catalog is a way to dip one’s toes in. People who are really motivated to decorate or upgrade their house quickly may feel differently.
So you’re pretty close to the point when the money gets a lot easier, all the more so if you take Hill Myna’s advice. By the same token, if you are going “l MUST DECORATE,” it probably won’t set you back too much if you just dive in.
replying to "Cuusardo" (look dad! I'm replying to multiple people!)
yeah, I agree the price is worth it. full stop. I was just wanding if some people agree if it MIGHT be better if it was 50-100k (like hill mynar said)
replying to "Jayamos"
good to know :3

MineRaft47

Tiller
I think yes as the game is guiding you through how to play with the extensive tutorial known as the Community Center and once you have that accomplishment done, you likely have enough g to consider what to spend it on. Those into decorating will focus on the Catalogs, forever sentencing themselves to a perpetually-changing array of Farmhouse clutter rearrangements. Being distracted too early by interior design choices while you have a measly 3 Potatoes growing outside is unseemly for someone calling themselves a Farmer.

However there are other pitfalls.

Those into Farming will focus Iridium Sprinklers and creating an endless phalanx of Farm Machines which slowly self assemble into a rudimentary awareness focused initially on pickling, jamming, wineing and oiling (I think that's a Lynyrd Skynyrd song... mmmm, maybe Cher). Soon a nascent Stynet becomes self-aware on Summer 28, Year 7 and starts making g, especially when you're not looking. Initially your spouse takes credit for all these Farm conveniences working so well, going on about watering this and fixing that but that's because the Farm AI already has them. Soon you find all sorts of carefully manicured arrangements resembling printed circuit boards spreading outwards as the 'Net expands to engulf the Bus Stop, Train Crossing, Quarry, Desert, and on towards Zuzu. The Farmer in her fright beats it for foreign soil and upon escaping, attempts to set up a new life among the surrounding waves. But.

It's too late.

It has already permeated the essence of her being when she wasn't looking. Likely while sleeping under a tree with an unbaited Fishing Rod propped up by her knees. Just resting her eyes... for 7 hours. She starts carefully designing yet another circuit board Farm layout with all the same components... but at least it's separate from Stynet back on the mainland, right. Right??

Uh oh, but this design has Wifi...
my reactions to your post
-???
-!?!
-:(
-:3
-:0
-:)
-:3

Hill Myna

Farmer
yeah, what would you suggest to buy?
Have you got a Greenhouse yet? It massively helps with Winter cash, but to maximise the income you'll need Preserves Jars and Kegs.

...which are quite expensive. So you'll need Wood, Coal, Tappers (Wood + Copper, needed for Oak Resin), Copper, and Iron. And if you don't have those yet, then you can buy them!

You'll also need Sheds to store them in, Signs at the front of the Shed, storage chests... and the list goes on.
did you know with the botanist profession you sell the iridium truffles as-is for more then if you make then into truffle oil?
Yes I did! However this isn't true if you are an Artisan (Level 10 Farming option). Pigs are definitely a good way of earning G.
as for skull cavern gear I have just a steel falchion, should I splash out on lava katana or continue my quest for a prismatic shard?
No, IMO the Steel Falchion is better than the Lava Katana because of its +4 Speed. And a direct quote from my Skull Cavern guide:

"And because spending 25,000G then finding a Prismatic Shard (AKA a Galaxy Sword) one day later is >:[ . Which is what happened both times I bought a Lava Katana, of course. How did you expect anything less?"

So... no, I would recommend continuing your quest!
also, yes I realise you can quote multiple people at once, but juggling all these replys and suggustions with one answer gives me a headache :( sorry if I'm cluttering! :/
Doing it like I have in this post is how I like to do things. I find it's easy enough to jump from quote to quote, and I can easily highlight specific parts of the text that I want to respond to! The "Preview" feature is also super handy to check that I didn't mess it up.

But you do you!

MineRaft47

Tiller
Have you got a Greenhouse yet? It massively helps with Winter cash, but to maximise the income you'll need Preserves Jars and Kegs.

...which are quite expensive. So you'll need Wood, Coal, Tappers (Wood + Copper, needed for Oak Resin), Copper, and Iron. And if you don't have those yet, then you can buy them!

You'll also need Sheds to store them in, Signs at the front of the Shed, storage chests... and the list goes on.

Yes I did! However this isn't true if you are an Artisan (Level 10 Farming option). Pigs are definitely a good way of earning G.

No, IMO the Steel Falchion is better than the Lava Katana because of its +4 Speed. And a direct quote from my Skull Cavern guide:

"And because spending 25,000G then finding a Prismatic Shard (AKA a Galaxy Sword) one day later is >:[ . Which is what happened both times I bought a Lava Katana, of course. How did you expect anything less?"

So... no, I would recommend continuing your quest!

Doing it like I have in this post is how I like to do things. I find it's easy enough to jump from quote to quote, and I can easily highlight specific parts of the text that I want to respond to! The "Preview" feature is also super handy to check that I didn't mess it up.

But you do you!
hi again, yes I have the green house and am currently using half to hoard coffee :3 and other half for melons for wine :3 before you suggested it I planted 14 oaks and made an extra 7 tappers (already had 3) I realize 10 tappers is probably less then you where talking about, but it's a start of my melon wine enterprise ;3 also, what do you mean "And if you don't have those yet, then you can buy them!" are you talking about buying the materials, or the kegs and preserve jars themselves?

and also.....

.....(drum roll).....

I GOT A PRISMATIC SHARD!!! (dabs*)

for the first time in forever (Frozen reference totally intended) I got the prismatic shard!** :3 I immediately left the skull cavern and got the galaxy sword*** :3 (it's unlike anything I've ever seen!)

*HE DABBED!!!
**it was dropped by a iridium node :)
***I took your advice and found the prism using my steel falhcon

Hill Myna

Farmer
hi again, yes I have the green house and am currently using half to hoard coffee :3 and other half for melons for wine :3
Great idea! That'll make you cash!

You might want to consider swapping them out for Starfruit if you can afford the seeds, though. Starfruit Wine sells for 2,250G (3,150G w/ Artisan), versus the 750G (1,050G) of Melon Wine, making your kegs more efficient.

But the seeds are bought for 400G from the Oasis rather than 80G for Melon Seeds, so you need more cash to start with. Although Starfruit does have the advantage that you can buy seeds all year round, whereas you have to buy Melon Seeds in Summer.
before you suggested it I planted 14 oaks and made an extra 7 tappers (already had 3) I realize 10 tappers is probably less then you where talking about, but it's a start of my melon wine enterprise ;3
Another great idea! ;D

The more the better, but 10 is a excellent start!
also, what do you mean "And if you don't have those yet, then you can buy them!" are you talking about buying the materials, or the kegs and preserve jars themselves?
I was talking about the materials. Wood can be bought from Robin, and Copper/Iron/Coal can be bought from Clint.

These are pricey though, so it might be better to spend the cash on explosives and hit Skull Cavern frequently, now that you have a...
.....(drum roll).....

PRISMATIC SHARD!!!
Congrats! You'll show those Serpents now!

I remember when I got my first Shard. I was over the moon, and I did exactly what you did: left Skull Cavern, got the Galaxy Sword, and tried it out.

Those first moments with a decent weapon are special. :D
––––
What's your current G now though? I'm guessing it has changed, because you sound like you're in Summer (the Melons gave it away).

Any closer to those Catalogues?

MineRaft47

Tiller
Great idea! That'll make you cash!

You might want to consider swapping them out for Starfruit if you can afford the seeds, though. Starfruit Wine sells for 2,250G (3,150G w/ Artisan), versus the 750G (1,050G) of Melon Wine, making your kegs more efficient.

But the seeds are bought for 400G from the Oasis rather than 80G for Melon Seeds, so you need more cash to start with. Although Starfruit does have the advantage that you can buy seeds all year round, whereas you have to buy Melon Seeds in Summer.

Another great idea! ;D

The more the better, but 10 is a excellent start!

I was talking about the materials. Wood can be bought from Robin, and Copper/Iron/Coal can be bought from Clint.

These are pricey though, so it might be better to spend the cash on explosives and hit Skull Cavern frequently, now that you have a...

Congrats! You'll show those Serpents now!

I remember when I got my first Shard. I was over the moon, and I did exactly what you did: left Skull Cavern, got the Galaxy Sword, and tried it out.

Those first moments with a decent weapon are special. :D
––––
What's your current G now though? I'm guessing it has changed, because you sound like you're in Summer (the Melons gave it away).

Any closer to those Catalogues?
thanks! :3 good to know I'm heading more or less in the right direction ;) I'm actually still in winter, the seeds are mainly from seed makers and my stock piled melons for wine-making, as for g, I did hit the 230k mark, but I just bought the galaxy hammer (face-palm) so it's now 155k.
thanks again for all the advice it's been a huge help! :3

Hill Myna

Farmer
thanks! :3 good to know I'm heading more or less in the right direction ;) I'm actually still in winter, the seeds are mainly from seed makers and my stock piled melons for wine-making, as for g, I did hit the 230k mark, but I just bought the galaxy hammer (face-palm) so it's now 155k.
Galaxy Hammer FTW!!! Always happy to see new people trying out a different weapon type, especially when it's a club.
thanks again for all the advice it's been a huge help! :3
No worries! This has been a fun discussion; I'm glad it helped. If you've got any other questions, do ask!

And make sure to notify us when you do buy those Catalogues...