Preferred Ratios for Coop/Barn animals?

Malymin

Cowpoke
Does anyone else have a preferred ratio for all the different species of livestock they keep in the coop and barn?

For the coop, for example, I always try to have an equal number of every available chicken. That is to say:
- In a Big Coop, before I upgrade it, I'll have four chickens (white/brown/blue/void) and then some ducks/dinos.
- Alternatively, I may fill a Big Coop coop with eight chickens (2 each of white/brown/blue/void).
- In a Deluxe Coop, I'll have eight chickens (2 each of white/brown/blue/void), 2 ducks, and then 1 rabbit and 1 dinosaur. Thus, two of each bird, 1 of each non-bird.
- Alternatively, in a Deluxe Coop, I may instead just have 12 chickens (3 each of white/brown/blue/void).

I came up with this schema back in 1.4, and I feel a bit bothered by how I can't easily fit the Golden Chicken into it without sacrificing something. The Coop's capacity is always a number that's nicely divisible by four, and trying to fit in a perfectly even number of *five* types of chicken while also having an aesthetically pleasing ratio of non-chickens feels far more difficult. Granted, I'm unlikely to ever manage to get Perfection and obtain the golden chicken in the first place... but it's about the *principle* of the thing, you know? I guess I could sell one of the void chickens to replace with a golden chicken, and use a similar ratio of golden-egg/obsidian-egg/normal-egg chickens to the one I use in *The Sims 4: Cottage Living*...

The sheer number of chicken variants means I can more easily keep track of individuals in my flock, because there will never be more than three individuals that look the same. In addition, it's easy to focus my coop on chickens because chickens are the most obviously consistent and profitable coop animal; the dinosaur and rabbit, who make product far less frequently than chickens or even ducks, mainly exist to be cute and provide nice gifts.

For barn animals I struggle a lot more with coming up with a ratio that satisfies both my gameplay and aesthetic sensibilities.

So I'm wondering... what are other people's aesthetic or functional preferences for livestock ratios?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
right now my ratio is…. 1:151

Usually I have more barns for pigs straight off the bat (one coop and I like 4 -5 barns filled with mostly pigs). Then I’ll usually get 3 coops of rabbits for gifting near the midpoint in perfection.

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
I usually run 1 coop 1 barn 3 silos.

Coop
6 chickens (in the beginning white/brown, then 1 void, 1 blue, haven't reached the point of golden ones yet)
2 ducks
2 rabbits (for the rare offchance of getting their legs favorite gift)
2 dinos

Barn
4 cows (2 white 2 brown)
2 goats
1 sheep (didn't actually need one, but i wanted to have every animal)
3 pigs (do not want lots of dead weight during winter and rains, plus they find enough truffles for a nice boost)
2 ostriches

MogBeoulve

Farmer
This is my current plan:

8 chickens (2 each of white, brown, blue, and void)
2 ducks (they must lay on alternate days)
2 dinosaurs
8 cows (4 of each color of course)
2 goats (milked on alternate days)
1 ostrich
1 pig

Then several deluxe coops full of rabbits. I'm planning to see how many I can fit onto the Meadowlands farm - hopefully at least 9.

The golden chicken does present a problem. I solved this problem on my last game by never planning to reach perfection. Not sure what I'll do if I ever get there.

Lew Zealand

Helper
For me it's pretty much the same thing every time.

Barn:
1 Cow for cooking and Cavern/Volcano/Mines cheez
1 Goat for cooking and ageing Goat Cheez
10 Pigs (2 replaced with Ostriches if/when that becomes available)

Coop:
1 Chicken for cooking
1 Void Chicken because Eugene Levy
2 Fluffbutts for Tailoring
8 Kaiju for STOOOOMPPPPPPPPPINGGGG!!!!! (and mayo)

Last edited:

Bawby

Planter
Yeah, I'm that one in multiplayer where the other farmers spend a day to clean up my corner of the farm.
So I think I have 2 ducks living with a rabbit and 4 scaly chickens. 2 white, blue, 2 void in the other?
Forget about the barns. No guess. I have pigs and turkey long-legs everywhere. My last pig's name was Bo Ben Quinn, I know that much.

PrimalPete

Farmhand
Does anyone else have a preferred ratio for all the different species of livestock they keep in the coop and barn?

For the coop, for example, I always try to have an equal number of every available chicken. That is to say:
- In a Big Coop, before I upgrade it, I'll have four chickens (white/brown/blue/void) and then some ducks/dinos.
- Alternatively, I may fill a Big Coop coop with eight chickens (2 each of white/brown/blue/void).
- In a Deluxe Coop, I'll have eight chickens (2 each of white/brown/blue/void), 2 ducks, and then 1 rabbit and 1 dinosaur. Thus, two of each bird, 1 of each non-bird.
- Alternatively, in a Deluxe Coop, I may instead just have 12 chickens (3 each of white/brown/blue/void).

I came up with this schema back in 1.4, and I feel a bit bothered by how I can't easily fit the Golden Chicken into it without sacrificing something. The Coop's capacity is always a number that's nicely divisible by four, and trying to fit in a perfectly even number of *five* types of chicken while also having an aesthetically pleasing ratio of non-chickens feels far more difficult. Granted, I'm unlikely to ever manage to get Perfection and obtain the golden chicken in the first place... but it's about the *principle* of the thing, you know? I guess I could sell one of the void chickens to replace with a golden chicken, and use a similar ratio of golden-egg/obsidian-egg/normal-egg chickens to the one I use in *The Sims 4: Cottage Living*...

The sheer number of chicken variants means I can more easily keep track of individuals in my flock, because there will never be more than three individuals that look the same. In addition, it's easy to focus my coop on chickens because chickens are the most obviously consistent and profitable coop animal; the dinosaur and rabbit, who make product far less frequently than chickens or even ducks, mainly exist to be cute and provide nice gifts.

For barn animals I struggle a lot more with coming up with a ratio that satisfies both my gameplay and aesthetic sensibilities.

So I'm wondering... what are other people's aesthetic or functional preferences for livestock ratios?
This is too complex for my monkey brain. That being said, blue chickens all the way

I normally only have one of each for completion purposes. One goat, one pig, rest of the barn animals are cows. Cheese is an amazing cavern diving food, giving a ton of HP and Energy. Happy cows produce large milk daily, which turns into gold-star cheese daily. For the coop, At least a couple of chickens, one of white and brown for completion purposes, a duck, and a rabbit. Maybe some dinos if I feel like it.

I'm more of a farmer than a rancher player, producing millions in processed produce monthly. So I tend to pass on the animals.

Ereo

Helper
I get a brown and white chicken to start, fill up two more white chickens when I can afford them. Upgrade, two ducks and two more white chickens, unless I have a void or dino egg, which I would hatch instead of the white chickens. Blue chickens to replace white ones, but the brown can go if I need space so I only have white eggs. Another upgrade, two rabbits and either white chickens or a second dino or void. I try to keep all animals in pairs.

First barn, all white cows because I can never find brown ones in fall. Upgrade, two goats, two white cows. Second upgrade, pigs if I have money or cows. Pigs only stay in the barn until they are adult and I can afford a second barn in a grass-free area. Then I fill the second barn with pigs and the first keeps two goats and all white cows.

i had one ranch farm where I had one duck, one rabbit/dino, one chicken and one void chicken coop (and two barns like above).

I like seeing the ducks hop into the water and swim around, so lately I have six ducks, four chickens ( one each: white; brown; blue; void), a rabbit and a dino in my coop. I'm considering a second coop on my meadowlnds farm to just have a duck coop and an 'other' coop.

I've skipped the barn in several saves. When I do have one, I either go two of each barn animal, or just 2-6 goats (I like goats). On my current sve (medowlands), I currently have two brown cows, one goat (soon to be two), and a pig (who likely won't be getting a friend as I don't like tripping over truffles everywhere).

Lew Zealand

Helper
I like seeing the ducks hop into the water and swim around, so lately I have six ducks…
Now this is why I have only 1 Duck, so I can't be disappointed by it never swimming because what are the chances that Ms. Landlubber even knows how to float? If I had a Coop totally fulla 12 Ducks and also never saw them swimming then it would be day after day of pondless Duck disappointment and I don't play Stardew for those types of feelings. My single Duck is all about expectations management.

Now this is why I have only 1 Duck, so I can't be disappointed by it never swimming because what are the chances that Ms. Landlubber even knows how to float? If I had a Coop totally fulla 12 Ducks and also never saw them swimming then it would be day after day of pondless Duck disappointment and I don't play Stardew for those types of feelings. My single Duck is all about expectations management.
I think duck swimming depends greatly on the farm layout chosen. I see them swimming frequently on my hilltop, wilderness, beach, and meadowlands farms, but was very disappointed in the lack of duck swimming on the four corners farm. I have not played standard, forest, or riverland farm yet. On my meadowlands farm, they will hop into the large pond located right below their coop, but also travel across the map to hop into the stream for no apparent reason. I think the map might have been programmed with extra duck swimming odds. :duck:

Squigglyruth

Planter
At the moment my coop has 1 white chicken, 1 brown chicken, 4 ducks, 2 rabbits and one dino. I will be adding a void chicken, then probably fill up with dinos or ducks.
My barn has 1 white cow, 1 brown cow, 1 goat and 6 pigs so far, leaving room for breeding and ostriches. Though, being on meadowlands farm, I will probably add another full barn of 12 pigs at some point soon - I'm just getting my crops fully planted on ginger island and in the greenhouse, then pigs will be the next best investment, I think.
These are fairly typical of my normal play. I do mostly concentrate on crops for my farming.

Bloodless

Sodbuster
I have three Coops and two Barns.

1 Chicken Coop - 3 Golden Chickens, 3 Blue Chickens , 3 Void Chickens, 2 Brown Chickens, 1 White Chicken
2 Wooded/Pond Coops- 9 Ducks, 9 Rabbits, 6 Dinosaurs
2 Barns- 6 Goats, 3 Brown Cows, 3 White Cows, 5 Pigs, 5 Sheep, 2 Ostrich

Here is a recent image of my current farm layout.

Dan_4-6-2024_9417337.png

MogBeoulve

Farmer
I have three Coops and two Barns.

1 Chicken Coop - 3 Golden Chickens, 3 Blue Chickens , 3 Void Chickens, 2 Brown Chickens, 1 White Chicken
2 Wooded/Pond Coops- 9 Ducks, 9 Rabbits, 6 Dinosaurs
2 Barns- 6 Goats, 3 Brown Cows, 3 White Cows, 5 Pigs, 5 Sheep, 2 Ostrich

Here is a recent image of my current farm layout.

View attachment 21588
I approve of your number of rabbits.

ClaraCatte

Sodbuster
I usually have 2 coops, 3 barns, roughly.
Coop 1 - 2 void, 2 ducks, 2 rabbits, 4 brown/white chickens, 2 blue chickens (might replace two brown/white chickens for 2 more ducks)
Coop 2 - 12 dinos

Barn 1 - 2 cows, 10 goats
Barn 2 - 12 pigs
Barn 3 - 12 ostriches