Potential updates

BeardedFarmer

Farmhand
So I've been playing Stardew for less than a year and it's become pretty much the only game I play now. I'm only on year 6 and have no plans on stopping anytime soon. With that being said here are some ideas for potential updates that I'll gladly pay for.

I apologize if I suggested any that have already been brought up. I just joined the forum and this is my very first post.

Black swan- I made a coop solely for my ducks and rabbits. One night a witch flew over and I got excited only to have it hatch as another void chicken. So I think it would be awesome if a black duck egg turned into black swans.

Armor for mines- I think it would be cool if we could craft some basic armor like a helmet, gloves, boots and breastplate to help protect ourselves from enemies in the mines. I get jumped alot and its very sad times.

Mud pit for the pigs- I made a barn just for the weee Lil piggies...I think it would be awesome to see them play in mud just like the ducks swim in the ponds.

Farm hand- It would be nice if we could hire someone to help around the farm. Maybe water crops in gardening pots, milking cows/goats, loading and unloading the machines or even working the farm on Ginger Island. You would have to pay them and everything.

Kids grow up- It'd be dope to see the kids grow up and either helping on the farm or following another profession in town.

New crops- Green beans, peanuts, beans, asparagus and now going blank on more..will update once I remember more.

Ability to build bridges over the ponds on your farm...I just wanna walk over water and watch the ducks swim

Coffee shop/tea house in town- wouldn't it be nifty if we could set up one in town that we have to keep stocked up ourselves with coffee beans, tea leaves and milk..it sure would.

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
Great suggestions!
Farm hand- It would be nice if we could hire someone to help around the farm. Maybe water crops in gardening pots, milking cows/goats, loading and unloading the machines or even working the farm on Ginger Island. You would have to pay them and everything.
The collecting items from farm animals like cows and goats is already possible! Once you reach level 10 in farming, visit Marnie and there will be an "Auto-Grabber" available. You can place one in each barn or coop you have on your farm.

BeardedFarmer

Farmhand
Great suggestions!

The collecting items from farm animals like cows and goats is already possible! Once you reach level 10 in farming, visit Marnie and there will be an "Auto-Grabber" available. You can place one in each barn or coop you have on your farm.

I actually just put an auto grabber in my cow shed for the first time and I'm on year 6 hahaha definitely takes up time milking all of your cows and goats. I do see that with the auto grabbers you don't get the hearts and with the auto petter its not as effective. Not sure if its because I pet everyday or what not but at times I'll get 2-3 strait days of goat and wool collection. Don't think I'm getting it now that I put in the auto grabbers.

So it would be cool if by level 20 or something we can hire a farm hand to replace the auto grabbers and petters so we can still get the maximum hearts daily.

imnvs

Local Legend
I actually just put an auto grabber in my cow shed for the first time and I'm on year 6 hahaha definitely takes up time milking all of your cows and goats. I do see that with the auto grabbers you don't get the hearts and with the auto petter its not as effective. Not sure if its because I pet everyday or what not but at times I'll get 2-3 strait days of goat and wool collection. Don't think I'm getting it now that I put in the auto grabbers.

So it would be cool if by level 20 or something we can hire a farm hand to replace the auto grabbers and petters so we can still get the maximum hearts daily.
Yes, the auto-grabber prevents you gaining the friendship/hearts with the animals that you gain such from by harvesting their produce...

...but that means nothing in a coop where the animals leave their produce on the ground.

Also, yes, the auto-petter is not as good as petting your animals...

...but you can also pet your animals and gain more hearts that way, even in a coop.

BeardedFarmer

Farmhand
Yes, the auto-grabber prevents you gaining the friendship/hearts with the animals that you gain such from by harvesting their produce...

...but that means nothing in a coop where the animals leave their produce on the ground.

...but you can also pet your animals and gain more hearts that way, even in a coop.
Going through all my barns and coops is part of my daily routine, but even with the auto grabbers, it still takes up a good portion of my day. I've had the auto grabbers in my coops at lvl 10, just never put any in with my cows and sheep until now. Convinent yes, but I still think it would be cool to hire a farm hand whom would milk your cows and sheer your sheep to still gain the daily hearts. Currently running 3 coops, 3 barns and will build one more coop once I can get the golden chickens. Soo my entire morning is consisted of animal petting and product retrieval because I keep the specific machines per building. Soo definitely need a farm hand or two to help out..haha.

Correction..thats 4 barns and 2 coops.

imnvs

Local Legend
Going through all my barns and coops is part of my daily routine, but even with the auto grabbers, it still takes up a good portion of my day. I've had the auto grabbers in my coops at lvl 10, just never put any in with my cows and sheep until now. Convinent yes, but I still think it would be cool to hire a farm hand whom would milk your cows and sheer your sheep to still gain the daily hearts. Currently running 3 coops, 3 barns and will build one more coop once I can get the golden chickens. Soo my entire morning is consisted of animal petting and product retrieval because I keep the specific machines per building. Soo definitely need a farm hand or two to help out..haha.

Correction..thats 4 barns and 2 coops.
Okay? Is that some sort of rebuttal to what I said? What I did was to clarify how things worked, because you seem to think that you must pet and harvest from all your animals for the hearts when you do not. What you did was to explain why it takes you so long... which doesn't seem relevant to what I said.

However, I will rebut what you have now said... because if you had an auto-grabber and auto-petter in each barn/coop, you'd be done taking care of your animals by 8am even with 7 buildings to worry about.

Old Man Tab

Sodbuster
So I've been playing Stardew for less than a year and it's become pretty much the only game I play now. I'm only on year 6 and have no plans on stopping anytime soon. With that being said here are some ideas for potential updates that I'll gladly pay for.

I apologize if I suggested any that have already been brought up. I just joined the forum and this is my very first post.

Black swan- I made a coop solely for my ducks and rabbits. One night a witch flew over and I got excited only to have it hatch as another void chicken. So I think it would be awesome if a black duck egg turned into black swans.

Armor for mines- I think it would be cool if we could craft some basic armor like a helmet, gloves, boots and breastplate to help protect ourselves from enemies in the mines. I get jumped alot and its very sad times.

Mud pit for the pigs- I made a barn just for the weee Lil piggies...I think it would be awesome to see them play in mud just like the ducks swim in the ponds.

Kids grow up- It'd be dope to see the kids grow up and either helping on the farm or following another profession in town.

New crops- Green beans, peanuts, beans, asparagus and now going blank on more..will update once I remember more.

Ability to build bridges over the ponds on your farm...I just wanna walk over water and watch the ducks swim

Coffee shop/tea house in town- wouldn't it be nifty if we could set up one in town that we have to keep stocked up ourselves with coffee beans, tea leaves and milk..it sure would.
This is brilliant suggestions that must be in the next update

It has to be there definitely

Im proud of you Farmer

BeardedFarmer

Farmhand
Okay? Is that some sort of rebuttal to what I said? What I did was to clarify how things worked, because you seem to think that you must pet and harvest from all your animals for the hearts when you do not. What you did was to explain why it takes you so long... which doesn't seem relevant to what I said.

However, I will rebut what you have now said... because if you had an auto-grabber and auto-petter in each barn/coop, you'd be done taking care of your animals by 8am even with 7 buildings to worry about.
I get what youre saying..but not sure if you understand my point. I don't want to utilize the auto petter since its not really effective. Sure it cuts down on time but if you're still raising Animals itll take longer to get products from them and like I mentioned before...pretty sure I was getting bonuses from my goats and sheep from petting and milking everyday myself. So by utilizing the machines to cut down on time it looks like I miss out on extra goat milk and wool. Efficiency isn't always your most effective route, hence why I was inquiring about a potential update which would allow you to hire a farm hand so you dont miss out on any bonuses and you keep your animals extra happy.

Ive watched videos on peoples walk through, seems like their animals are never happy because they all just put auto petters in their barns and coops..id like to avoid sad farm animals.

imnvs

Local Legend
I get what youre saying..but not sure if you understand my point. I don't want to utilize the auto petter since its not really effective. Sure it cuts down on time but if you're still raising Animals itll take longer to get products from them and like I mentioned before...pretty sure I was getting bonuses from my goats and sheep from petting and milking everyday myself. So by utilizing the machines to cut down on time it looks like I miss out on extra goat milk and wool. Efficiency isn't always your most effective route, hence why I was inquiring about a potential update which would allow you to hire a farm hand so you dont miss out on any bonuses and you keep your animals extra happy.

Ive watched videos on peoples walk through, seems like their animals are never happy because they all just put auto petters in their barns and coops..id like to avoid sad farm animals.
Okay, you seem to have a fundamental misunderstanding of how the auto-petter works because it absolutely is effective. You gain friendship and your animals gain mood with the auto-petter. In fact, the boost to mood is exactly the same as if you pet the animal. Sure, the friendship boost is 1/2 as much as actual petting, but when you're maxed that means nothing, and...

In fact if you use the auto-petter AND pet your animals you can get friendship up FASTER than without the auto-petter. One doesn't prevent the other from working. So you install the auto-petter when the animals are new, max out your friendship with them through petting + auto-petter even faster to get their production even sooner, and then when they're maxed you never have to pet your animals again saving yourself hours of the day every day.

So yes, it's not as effective as petting... but if you use it along with petting you'll get better production faster, and then when maxed will save yourself hours a day every day forever, and your animals won't hate you or get sad. Your problem, that there's too much work, already has a solution. We don't need to re-engineer the wheel.

Edit to add: The only time the auto-petter will result in less production is in the case of Rancher/Shepherds do not see the increase production of wool unless they actually pet the sheep. This is typically unimportant, though, as basically nobody plays as a Rancher.

BeardedFarmer

Farmhand
Except you're wrong. I've noticed the difference in my game while utilizing the machines vs doing it myself. Like I mentioned before, by not using the machines I gain a bonus on products from sheep and goats. When using auto petter and auto grabber I no longer get back to back days from my sheep nor my goats.

Not to be rude but I don't think you've actually considered that not using the machines will benefit you more, though take up more time. You're soley bringing up time without referencing the outcome. Your quality in products will drop, when you're not personally engaging with your animals. I see it in my auto grabber where ill get more silver and gold with the machines but will get more purple when done manually.

So I see no reason why adding a "farm hand" would alter the game any besides making it more realistic and gives you more time for other things.

Reactions: Tom

BeardedFarmer

Farmhand

Once again, not to be rude. But I dont think you fully understand the pros and cons of having those machines.

imnvs

Local Legend
Once again, not to be rude. But I dont think you fully understand the pros and cons of having those machines.
And I think you don't because you seem to think your animals will get unhappy if you use them. I actually went and re-read the wiki entry on both machines as well as the page on animals and what you can do to boost/lose friendship/mood with your animals too (even though I learned nothing new already, having already known all of it), just to make double sure I wasn't giving you bad information before I posted. Additionally, I have used both extensively on multiple farms.

The behavior you've seen on others farms, the sad animals despite an auto-petter? Those people were doing other things wrong that made their animals sad, like not letting them outside for example.

Odin

Staff member
It's somewhat difficult for me to tell based on the wiki information, but it appears that it may be possible that manually petting animals during the winter or on rainy days could have an advantage over the Auto-Petter? I don't see any indication that it would make a difference during other seasons, at least for periods with sunny days and plenty of grass available outside for the animals to eat. I could be totally wrong about it mattering for days when the animals are stuck inside their barn/coop though.

imnvs

Local Legend
It's somewhat difficult for me to tell based on the wiki information, but it appears that it may be possible that manually petting animals during the winter or on rainy days could have an advantage over the Auto-Petter? I don't see any indication that it would make a difference during other seasons, at least for periods with sunny days and plenty of grass available outside for the animals to eat. I could be totally wrong about it mattering for days when the animals are stuck inside their barn/coop though.
To be honest and fair, petting is always better than using the auto-petter...

...but you can also always do both.

The only advantage the non-winter, non-rainy days have is that getting outside and eating grass sets mood to the max value. If you have a heater and auto-petter, your animals don't need to get set to the max value, though, so long as you don't do something else to reduce their mood.

Odin

Staff member
The only advantage the non-winter, non-rainy days have is that getting outside and eating grass sets mood to the max value. If you have a heater and auto-petter, your animals don't need to get set to the max value, though, so long as you don't do something else to reduce their mood.
Ah alright, thank you.

Tom

Farmer
@imnvs and @BeardedFarmer both understand the mechanics from what I can see. @imnvs is saying that @BeardedFarmer can supplement the Auto-petter with farmer petting—getting potentially better than normal results in the process. But @BeardedFarmer is saying that they want a human Auto-petter that is equally as effective as a farmer so that they don't have to help at all. I don't see why there is a misunderstanding here.

StarFarmer

Tiller

Wow, you have some really great and original ideas here! I particularly like the ideas of having a black swan and having a coffee/tea/cafe in town!

I also agree with you on being able to make/wear something like armor for exploration/spelunking. In the tailoring update with 1.4, ConcernedApe made it so you can collect helmets and make things like a chest plate with the sewing machine, but they have no real use or value besides aesthetic. In past posts, I've mentioned wanting to be able to enchant these items at the volcano forge, or to pay Clint money to have him infuse the properties of the different rings into those armor pieces so that they offer more protection or bonuses (depending on the player). But of course, that choice will always be up to ConcernedApe himself.

BeardedFarmer

Farmhand
Wow, you have some really great and original ideas here! I particularly like the ideas of having a black swan and having a coffee/tea/cafe in town!

I also agree with you on being able to make/wear something like armor for exploration/spelunking. In the tailoring update with 1.4, ConcernedApe made it so you can collect helmets and make things like a chest plate with the sewing machine, but they have no real use or value besides aesthetic. In past posts, I've mentioned wanting to be able to enchant these items at the volcano forge, or to pay Clint money to have him infuse the properties of the different rings into those armor pieces so that they offer more protection or bonuses (depending on the player). But of course, that choice will always be up to ConcernedApe himself.

Im all for enchanting them at the volcanoe or with clint. That would be awesome