Post your silliest challenge runs!

imnvs

Local Legend
I find most challenge runs to be stress-inducing, and I play this game to do the opposite... to relax. In that vein, I've come up with silly challenges to run for.

Of the challenges I've come up with, my favorite so far? Amassing as many pairs of "Trimmed Lucky Purple Shorts" as you can.

What else y'all got? I wanna see some goofy challenges, folks, and I know people out there have challenged themselves to something completely ridiculous before too. I can't be the only one.

Cuusardo

Farmer
I think the best I can come up with is in Year 1, collecting all the salmonberries and blackberries during their respective seasons. Later on when I've gone on to become a Botanist and have the appropriate slot in my wallet filled, challenge myself to get all the blackberries during blackberry season.

I should start challenging myself to remember to bring explosives with me when I go to the Skull Cavern. 😆

LRangerR

Local Legend
Currently doing a farm and forage challenge, and completely giving up on fishing and going to the mines, while still trying to complete the community center. I'm not expecting to get it done in 2 years but it's very possible (got my apples and poms growing already and it's 1st fall). I'm not taking it too seriously, but it does force you to play slightly differently. For example, since you're buying all your ores, a copper axe now costs 75x25+2000 (3875 + coal), and a iron tool costs a total of 8750 + coal. So yeah, it's different, because you'll be spending money for copper bars all the time, but i'm rather enjoying the change of playstyle.

Lew Zealand

Helper
I think the best I can come up with is in Year 1, collecting all the salmonberries and blackberries during their respective seasons. Later on when I've gone on to become a Botanist and have the appropriate slot in my wallet filled, challenge myself to get all the blackberries during blackberry season.

I should start challenging myself to remember to bring explosives with me when I go to the Skull Cavern. 😆
OK, I pretty much did your berry challenge on my first save, not so much as a direct challenge but more as a sickness, as I just couldn't pass up free food on the vine. Bush. Same thing.

So for 4 days in Spring and Fall I ignored the entire rest of the game and ran around and IIRC I ended up with 400+ Salmonberries and Blackberries that year (probably Year 3 or 4 thanks to ignoring game advances— see: recent Doing Stupid Things thread). I then learned about Cooking (see that thread again... sigh) and tried Survival Burgers to get 5 Berry drops per bush but didn't make 500 Berries each season because... food buffs wear off. You need to make a bunch of them.

See: yes. That thread again.

It takes me a while to figure things out.

Boo1972

Farmer
Really, my 6 year old deserves all the credit for this one. Occasionally, he asks me to create a “farmer” for him in SDV. He mostly runs around and forages a little, but generally waits until I have upgraded the cabin twice and bought both catalogs. He likes to decorate.

Well, he had created a punk rock zombie (green skin and all) named, appropriately, Zombie when he caught me buying seeds from Pierre.

“You can’t talk to him!”

“Well, I need to buy…”

“Zombies eat brains.”

“I have to talk to people because I need..”

“Zombies EAT BRAINS! People brains!”

After a lot of back and forth we settled on the Zombie Play-through Ground rules:

You have to choose the Wilderness Farm.

Only eat raw, unprocessed fish- no sashimi. Raw whole fish contains brains after all.

Only talk to NPC’s when absolutely necessary and then only if your energy level is green. Zombies crave “people brains”.

Only white livestock is allowed because they look like ghosts. Goats are ok because goat cheese looks a little like brains. I would assume void chickens would be the exception because they are “monster” chickens but we never got that far

No killing monsters. Monsters are your friend.

No Joja! It’s too bright.

Krobus can be your roommate, but no marriage.

Only purchase seeds you can’t get from mixed seeds.

We didn’t get very far in this play through because I got tired of not talking to villagers. Well, that and I missed fighting monsters in the mines. Give us time and I’m sure he can come up with some even more ridiculous play throughs.

Sorry... what? 🤨 How?
I did the hack/mod thing where you open your save file and change your money count to the max value. So kinda part of the game and really not at the same time. I just wanted a more relaxed playthrough where I could focus on other things than just scraping up enough to get by. Money can't buy you friends, right?

Cuusardo

Farmer
Farmer with allergies or Celiac!

You pick something like shellfish or wheat, and your farmer cannot eat anything containing that ingredient. You could take it a step further and say you can't cook anything with those ingredients, but that would make certain achievements impossible.

Salty1

Planter
Youtube recently showed me ArgonMatrix's no skills challenge, and I'm tempted to give my own shot at it. The game has been updated since that run and I don't want to use multiplayer the way he did - want to see how much I can get done solely playing on my own. Might also be fun to see just how deep you can get in the mines without leveling up mining/combat ever, since he only goes deep enough for community centre purposes.

Elenna101

Farmer
Youtube recently showed me ArgonMatrix's no skills challenge, and I'm tempted to give my own shot at it. The game has been updated since that run and I don't want to use multiplayer the way he did - want to see how much I can get done solely playing on my own. Might also be fun to see just how deep you can get in the mines without leveling up mining/combat ever, since he only goes deep enough for community centre purposes.
TheHaboo did a run inspired by that video a while back, too, on Twitch - I don't think he's made a YouTube video yet, but the vods may still be available on Twitch if you want to take a look. In theory, the minimum xp you can get with remixed bundles is 38 farming xp, since you have to have either the quality bundle or the rare crops bundle, neither of which is available from the travelling cart, so you have to harvest at least one ancient fruit for the rare crops bundle.

Not going to spoil too much of his strategy in case you want to figure it out yourself, but one big issue that you may not be anticipating is that all rocks outside the mines give mining xp, so eventually the farm got overrun with stones and he had to figure out a way to keep some paths clear. There's a few different options there.

(Also, for the mines, you can technically get as far down as you want by taking the crystalarium from one of the vault bundles, putting jade in it, and trading the jade for staircases with the desert trader on Sundays. There's at least two ways of getting jade without getting any xp.)

Salty1

Planter
TheHaboo did a run inspired by that video a while back, too, on Twitch - I don't think he's made a YouTube video yet, but the vods may still be available on Twitch if you want to take a look. In theory, the minimum xp you can get with remixed bundles is 38 farming xp, since you have to have either the quality bundle or the rare crops bundle, neither of which is available from the travelling cart, so you have to harvest at least one ancient fruit for the rare crops bundle.

Not going to spoil too much of his strategy in case you want to figure it out yourself, but one big issue that you may not be anticipating is that all rocks outside the mines give mining xp, so eventually the farm got overrun with stones and he had to figure out a way to keep some paths clear. There's a few different options there.

(Also, for the mines, you can technically get as far down as you want by taking the crystalarium from one of the vault bundles, putting jade in it, and trading the jade for staircases with the desert trader on Sundays. There's at least two ways of getting jade without getting any xp.)
Ah, I might look into those later, but I do appreciate the lack of spoilers. Fully expect I'll wall myself in somewhere and fail, but I'd rather get to that stage first than have everything mapped for me. A little sad about the jade method, though, since that trivialises it, but nothing stopping me from trying to punch through it the old fashioned way and see where I end up. Good for it to be there as a back up that expands options.

Reactions: Tom
I didn't mean it to be a challenge run, but my jam playthrough was the most ridiculous farm I've ever made. I just wanted to make jam. I didn't bother with the community center. I filled the whole sewer with preserves jars. I accidentally made my farmer Tony have hot pink skin. So my only goals were keeping the jam jars fed and getting access to the wizard's shrine. Hot Pink Tony was my silliest stardew experience.

Making a maple syrup farm was very relaxing, low stress, low profit gameplay. Not sure if you count a syrup farm as a "challenge run" but it was one of the most relaxing playthroughs I've had.

The "Flower Power" run I did was also very relaxing, low stress, low profit. No crops allowed to be planted other than flowers, can only gift NPCs flowers and flower derivatives (honey, sunflower seeds, oil, etc)

Finally I'm planning on going for an "ultimate fashionista" character soon, and having a shed full of every clothing item in the game as a challenge. It will likely take quite a while, but should be fun and relaxing.

Cuusardo

Farmer
Finally I'm planning on going for an "ultimate fashionista" character soon, and having a shed full of every clothing item in the game as a challenge. It will likely take quite a while, but should be fun and relaxing.
I imagine that farmer marrying Haley. I've made all sorts of outfits for my farmer that married Haley. Even though Haley doesn't actually change clothes in the game, I like to imagine the two of them sharing a dresser/closet full of great outfits.

Lew Zealand

Helper
This is an already existing one, but I had a save where I'd go through all the heart events of each NPC and choose the options that angered them.
There is one NPC whose heart events give you the absolute best return on investment when choosing the anger options and that's Penny. Not once but twice can you lose 1500 relationship points with her, at 8 hearts and 10 hearts. Which results in 6 full hearts lost for each event. And now you need some serious dedication to get those hearts back...

Planter
As soon as I'm done with perfection on my current run (1M8 gold to go...), I'll start another one where I will be romancing every single bachelor/ette and trigger the group 10-heart event for both groups. And since I'm a florist IRL, I'll also probably go the flower-only route.