Please Remove Mr Qi cutscene at summit for cheating

ArtifactSpot

Mr CA: I love your game. I’ve played them for thousands of hours on dozens of saves. However, if you didn’t want us to use glitches for cheating why did you not just say so or remove those glitches? I would have respected that. But instead you choose to have MR Qi knock the player out for glitching to see the summit. Not the cutscene for perfection only what the summit looked like. That scene is way too dramatic, traumatizing especially for younger children and those who have suffered abuse for doing wrong. Please have the henchman from the witch’s hut simply guard the perfection rock/summit instead. Please tone that scene down a bit. As a childhood and adult abuse survivor, it’s just too much in a game where we are to find rest and relaxation from the realities of life. Personally I’ve never cared for Mr Qi. But I’m not asking he be removed, only this cutscene for cheating through a glitch that you chose not to simply remove. Please please please remove this from the new update and tell us to no longer use these glitches through less harsh means, simply removing the glitches or just saying so. Thank you sir!

Mr CA: I love your game. I’ve played them for thousands of hours on dozens of saves. However, if you didn’t want us to use glitches for cheating why did you not just say so or remove those glitches? I would have respected that. But instead you choose to have MR Qi knock the player out for glitching to see the summit. Not the cutscene for perfection only what the summit looked like. That scene is way too dramatic, traumatizing especially for younger children and those who have suffered abuse for doing wrong. Please have the henchman from the witch’s hut simply guard the perfection rock/summit instead. Please tone that scene down a bit. As a childhood and adult abuse survivor, it’s just too much in a game where we are to find rest and relaxation from the realities of life. Personally I’ve never cared for Mr Qi. But I’m not asking he be removed, only this cutscene for cheating through a glitch that you chose not to simply remove. Please please please remove this from the new update and tell us to no longer use these glitches through less harsh means, simply removing the glitches or just saying so. Thank you sir!
Omg just from reading that I’m scared don’t an but is there like a cutscene where he just hits me with a bat, oh no now I thought of it.. and my biggest fear.. guessing I’m gonna end up going to bed at 2:00 am again..

Karthaingo

Greenhorn
Are you serious? It's pretty obvious that CA doesn't want you cheating in game, he's said as much himself and has also slipped in various little quips in-game about exactly that. Go use the Name Changer at the Wizard's place and use the Easy Item glitch and wait for the message to pop up. Or use a bunch of stair-cases instead of fighting your way to the bottom of Skull Cavern, and Mr. Qi hits you with a line about not being honorable in completing his task.

The glitches have these "rewards" attached to them in this way to see if you'll be a dishonorable cheater, so no need to remove them. Don't be that guy who takes a punishment for doing something bad and try to spin it as an unjustified traumatic experience; you aren't fighting with demons, you're just avoiding the consequences of your actions.

Most of us realize that it isn't nearly as easy to remove a glich like the out of bounds one as op seems to think. A lot could get broken in the process that requires further patching and then all the players using the glitch to cheat could possibly find another cheat to use anyway (let's be honest, it's not a glitch most are going to use accidentally). Adding such a scene when a player character is out of bounds is a way a lot of developers remind players that they aren't supposed to be there and then get them back where they should be before they break their game. I think it's unfair to ask CA to go to all that work when it's easy enough to just not use the cheat or accept the consequences of using the cheat.

ArtifactSpot

Are you serious? It's pretty obvious that CA doesn't want you cheating in game, he's said as much himself and has also slipped in various little quips in-game about exactly that. Go use the Name Changer at the Wizard's place and use the Easy Item glitch and wait for the message to pop up. Or use a bunch of stair-cases instead of fighting your way to the bottom of Skull Cavern, and Mr. Qi hits you with a line about not being honorable in completing his task.

The glitches have these "rewards" attached to them in this way to see if you'll be a dishonorable cheater, so no need to remove them. Don't be that guy who takes a punishment for doing something bad and try to spin it as an unjustified traumatic experience; you aren't fighting with demons, you're just avoiding the consequences of your actions.
Good golly a little compassion goes a long way. You have no clue what i or anyone has been through in life. I have had a life of tremendous trauma. I’ve been in therapy for over 20 years and take more medicines than I have fingers. I have severe PTSD amongst a whole slew of other diagnoses. And please don’t call me a dishonorable cheater, I play solo, do not compete, i don’t publish things on YouTube. I admit I use the glitch publicly so people know I don’t accomplish what I don’t really accomplish. It’s no different than many mods and CA is ok with those. CA also says in that shrine scene im not mad have fun.

ArtifactSpot

Most of us realize that it isn't nearly as easy to remove a glich like the out of bounds one as op seems to think. A lot could get broken in the process that requires further patching and then all the players using the glitch to cheat could possibly find another cheat to use anyway (let's be honest, it's not a glitch most are going to use accidentally). Adding such a scene when a player character is out of bounds is a way a lot of developers remind players that they aren't supposed to be there and then get them back where they should be before they break their game. I think it's unfair to ask CA to go to all that work when it's easy enough to just not use the cheat or accept the consequences of using the cheat.
I understand. I’ve never sword glitched before. But it could be simple note on rock you’re not ready to enter or my suggestion of using the henchman from the witches hut to guard it. All I was saying is that it is way too intense to knock a person out to punish them. I mean he can do what he pleases it’s his game I just personally vote it was too intense and to tone it down a notch. I shared my story cause I was simply mentioning reasons that might be too intense to watch for some people. This is the suggestion forum. It’s a suggestion. That’s all.

I know the user has deleted her account (at least I think so). Nevertheless, I would like to de-dramatise the drama a little, because I can see that other users are already afraid of a scene that 1. they don't even experience if they don't cheat, and 2. isn't traumatic at all if you look at it soberly.

So what happened? (I watched the scene on youtube, I would probably never experience it myself because I'm not interested in cheating).

I stand on a peak and am reprimanded by Mr Qi for getting there dishonestly.
Cut.
Next thing I know, I wake up at the doctor's, who tells me he's just performed an emergency operation on me, but don't worry, everything's fine.

What does that tell me?
I've been reprimanded for cheating and I had to have emergency surgery. Nothing more and nothing less. There doesn't have to be a connection between the two, we just construct one for ourselves. I could just as easily have had a heart attack or a ruptured appendix on the way home, which has nothing to do with the reprimand. Maybe I had a beer with Qi at the summit and told him to go and get stuffed and then I fell off the mountain drunk.

This head game is the actual problem. That we read too much into things that didn't happen or were not necessarily meant like that.

I know it's not easy to see things this way when you suffer from a trauma disorder, and believe me, I speak from experience. But I think it's important to at least recognise the mechanics if you really want to heal your disorders and not get stuck on a victim role.

Let me quote a very wise lesson given by a famous swordmaster to a deeply traumatised child:

Opening your eyes is all that is needing. The heart lies and the head plays tricks with us, but the eyes see true. Look with your eyes. Hear with your ears. Taste with your mouth. Smell with your nose. Feel with your skin. Then comes the thinking, afterward, and in that way knowing the truth.

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
Hi, just wanted to say I removed a bunch of posts because the point became more about insulting someone specifically rather than just talking about the topic. You're welcome to express your opinions but this is NOT and will NEVER be the place to psychoanalyze real people and it's especially not okay to be rude about it

I'm keeping the topic open because it's just a suggestion, suggestions do not have to be followed, they do not have to be agreed with, and we can civilly disagree with them. People will draw from personal experiences, it doesn't make any suggestion more or less valid; they're still suggestions and anyone can have any reason to post one or to agree or disagree with it. We take Stardew Valley personally or impersonally in different ways because it's our own experience and no one person's experience will be the exact same.

Finally, it's just a game. We care a lot about this game, so I think it can be easy to feel very invested, or upset when you don't like something. That's ok. You don't have to like everything in a game, you don't have to like everyone who plays it, and part of the different perspectives is what's so interesting about the community. Not everyone's going to be on the same page and that's fine. At the end of the day, it's ConcernedApe's choice on the changes he wants to make, not ours.

On the topic itself: I really love the cutscene, it delves into my love for RPG maker horror games a bit with the vibe, and I felt it was a creative way to get onto players for sequence breaking the game. It was spooky, sure, but kind of in the same realm as everything else is spooky in the game rather than serious issues (like in some character cutscenes). I don't think cheating is a big deal-- it's your game, who cares-- but CA has a vision for the game and he would certainly like everyone to go down that path. Even so, it's easy to mod your game and in the game itself there's ways you can skip perfection without having to do absolutely everything, it's just that you can't jump to the summit without putting in some amount of time