Please Listen to the Voice of Simplified Chinese Players - Revert the Chinese Font and Translation

kuppa

Greenhorn
I hope you don't mind me taking a moment of your time, but I believe it's important to bring awareness to a significant issue affecting the Simplified Chinese community in Stardew Valley. <3
The recent 1.6.4 update has had a devastating impact, as it unexpectedly modified the in-game Chinese font and made changes to certain translations. These alterations have left many of us feeling unable to cope with the changes, and I strongly believe that it is crucial to speak up and ensure that the voice of Simplified Chinese players is heard by a wider audience.
I CAN NOT COPE WITH THIS ANYMORE.... I CAN NOT UNSEE IT.... I CAN NOT ENJOY MY COMFORT GAME ANYMORE. PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE GAVE MY OLD FONT AND TRANSLATION BACK OR I WILL SERIOULY KEEP POSTING UNTILL THE DAY I LOST MY LOVE TOWARDS THIS GAME.

Stardew Valley has been a beloved game for many years, and the community of players in China has grown immensely. We have developed a deep attachment to the game and its original Chinese font, which has been a part of our gaming experience for a long time. The pixelated Chinese font perfectly complemented the nostalgic pixel art style of the game, and it holds a special place in our hearts. If there needs to change due to copyright issues or tech problems, please change it to something pixel related font that is more light-weighted and pixel style.
For people who don't understand chinese font, just imagine CA suddenly change every stardew valley fonts to COMIC SANS.
111.png

Moreover, the recent translation changes have raised concerns among many players. While we understand that localization is a complex task and the team behind it has undoubtedly put in a lot of effort, some of the new translations miss the mark. For example, the change from "Mysterious Box" to "Blind Box" feels inappropriate and out of place. It feels like a joja product instead of Mr. Qi's joke. It detracts from the intended meaning and context of the game, causing confusion and even a sense of disconnect for Simplified Chinese players. As the saying goes,"If it's working fine, don't change it. "

I am not here to undermine the hard work of the localization team. We as a community simply wish to express our attachment to the previous font and translation choices. As players, we have developed a deep emotional connection to the game, and these changes have disrupted that bond. We kindly request that CA and the development team consider the option of reverting to the previous font or offering an alternative for players who prefer the original translation.

I understand that compromises might need to be made, and I respect the decisions of the localization team. However, I believe that it is essential to consider the emotional impact on players and the importance of preserving the integrity of the gaming experience. Our hope is that our voices will be heard and that we can find a solution that satisfies both the desire for improvement and the preservation of what made Stardew Valley so special to us.

Thank you for taking the time to read this message. I sincerely appreciate your attention and support.

p.s: I have seen members of the translation team reaching out to Simplified Chinese content creators and attempting to make changes. This is a commendable effort, and I appreciate their willingness to engage. However, I don't want this chance to be gradually brushed aside or forgotten. I hope for a prompt and effective resolution. I genuinely want my voice to be heard loud and clear. Just hear the people sing.

Last edited:

stardew_luv

Sodbuster
I’m not Chinese but I can understand how it would feel like an unfitting change to a nostalgic pixelated game. I would not want my English font to change to something modern. So I feel for you and give you my vote to revert to the nostalgic Chinese style characters. If it worked before the update I don’t see why your font couldn’t be continued after the update. The only thing I could possibly see is some international issue with that style of font retiring or something. But if it’s still available I hope they change it back for you as I would want my English font to remain in pixilated form. Best wishes and I hope it can be fixed and soon! 🙂

闇.幻

Greenhorn
stardew_luv,帖子:128475,会员:68305 said:
我不是中国人,但我可以理解对怀旧像素化游戏进行不合适的改变会感觉如何。我不希望我的英文字体变成现代字体。所以我同情你,并投票支持你回归怀旧的中国风文字。如果它在更新之前有效,我不明白为什么你的字体在更新后无法继续。我唯一可能看到的是某种国际问题,即那种字体退役之类的问题。但如果它仍然可用,我希望他们为您改回它,因为我希望我的英文字体保持像素化形式。最美好的祝愿,我希望它能尽快修复!🙂
[/引用]
新的翻译确实很糟糕。
可以肯定的是,这个翻译团队做了一些很好的工作,但他们做了更多不必要和不舒服的改变。
罪魁祸首就是这个翻译团队的傲慢

kuppa

Greenhorn
I’m not Chinese but I can understand how it would feel like an unfitting change to a nostalgic pixelated game. I would not want my English font to change to something modern. So I feel for you and give you my vote to revert to the nostalgic Chinese style characters. If it worked before the update I don’t see why your font couldn’t be continued after the update. The only thing I could possibly see is some international issue with that style of font retiring or something. But if it’s still available I hope they change it back for you as I would want my English font to remain in pixilated form. Best wishes and I hope it can be fixed and soon! 🙂
lmao tysm for your vote:wink: I really really appreciate your support, and it feels so good receiving understanding from outside the Simplified Chinese community. Despite our different native tongues, our love for Stardew Valley remains the same. :right::left:Thank you once again <3.

kuppa

Greenhorn
Update after 12 hours:
After spending the entire day browsing through related things and seeing the updates from the responsible individuals of the localization team on the Stardew Valley Wiki (including their commitments regarding future changes). I realized that my previous words didn't effectively express the specific reasons why Simplified Chinese players are upset.
If you were to check the Steam reviews for Stardew Valley now, you would see many negative reviews in Chinese.
1713706894415.png
(I do not support this behavior I just point it out the fact. )
Due to natural barriers (China's internet firewall and language barriers), Chinese players have always been excluded from various discussions. This situation is something that no player can choose. If possible, we also hope to have direct communication with the developers. Particularly in this situation, I think the localization team has taken full advantage of information asymmetry to engage in various perplexing behaviors. (BIG words and accusation I know but I'm just THAT mad lmao)

The font change I mentioned in my previous post is just a part of the issue. There are many controversies surrounding the translations, which can be seen in the forum post "Forums > Support > Typo & Display Text Bug Reports (Non-Modded) > Simplified Chinese Typo/Display Text Errors." The localization team has truly sparked the anger of Simplified Chinese players.

The issue has escalated from the changes in translation and font to a conflict between the localization team and the players. (btw no Chinese player ever wanted this even to begin with. We just want to farm peacefully:sweat:NO ONE ASKED FOR THIS!!!

Firstly, the localization team failed to carry out their work and instead made excessive changes to the font and numerous translations without conducting any community research. :bear:Secondly, after the release of version 1.6.4, many players provided feedback, but the localization team did not take any responsibility. Instead, they hid behind prominent Simplified Chinese SV content creators, using them as messengers to evade accountability.

Although they eventually attempted to listen to feedbacks (but not really tho), the countless hours and emotions wasted by numerous players in this incident are immeasurable. I am writing this not to cancel them but because I genuinely feel that their negligence and unprofessionalism have wasted everyone's precious time, and it angers me greatly.

The more you understand, the more you struggle to comprehend why all of this has happened. It's like someone suddenly renovating the house you have lived in for a long time without giving you ANY notice and choice, and after you stepping into your house and felt confused, they arrogantly telling you that the new design is simply better. They may emphasize how hard they worked for the renovation, but as the owner of the house, I only care about why someone can enter my house and modify its decoration without informing me. Moreover, they did it without considering the owner's preferences. Certainly, a game is not a house, and the intention of the localization team was to make Stardew Valley better in their eyes. However, as players, shouldn't we be given basic respect? Shouldn't the team at least listen to players' opinions before making such significant changes and officially updating the version? Moreover, after the situation was exposed, shouldn't they have respected the players' opinions instead of stubbornly resorting to the "survivorship bias" argument? This arrogant and ignorant attitude is completely disrespectful and incomprehensible.

Of course, when they just unilaterally changed the font and translation, I don't believe the localization team gave any serious consideration or respect to us players.

The power was given to the wrong hands. I am deeply disappointed and disgusted for the time I have wasted on this unnecessary change of my beloved game.

kuppa

Greenhorn
Kudos for your post, and the COMIC SANS analogy is golden lmao.
FR I am not even joking atp. This font literally is the equivalent of Comic Sans but worse. I just lost it after updated to 1.6.4 and sees something like this all over my screen like??? gurl i just cant:petrified:

kuppa

Greenhorn
FR I am not even joking atp. This font literally is the equivalent of Comic Sans but worse. I just lost it after updated to 1.6.4 and sees something like this all over my screen like??? gurl i just cant:petrified:
btw I am not even hating... THIS IS WORSE THAN COMIC SANS💀💀
It's giving goofy android typa font named "girly pop"on my cousin's phone back in 2012

teeniebee

Greenhorn
btw I am not even hating... THIS IS WORSE THAN COMIC SANS💀💀
It's giving goofy android typa font named "girly pop"on my cousin's phone back in 2012
omg u made me laugh so hard but I relate to that so much
i just hope the change the localization team claimed to be made is going to be better for the game otherwise i rly think i might be quitting the game

kuppa

Greenhorn
UPDATE2: I do not have time rn to translate what I have seen on Chinese social media but it's wild and people are trying to get this localization team out. The new localization team successfully pissed a huge percent of the community and they are mad
omg u made me laugh so hard but I relate to that so much
i just hope the change the localization team claimed to be made is going to be better for the game otherwise i rly think i might be quitting the game
same here I don't feel like using mods to change fonts at all. I don't think as a player I should have to pay the price for other's stupid decisions. I need to reclaim what rightfully belongs to us eventhough I can't live without SMAPI:smug: