Planning to start a new game... Suggestions on what to do differently?

Magically Clueless

Administrator
Staff member
I know we've had some topics like this before but I thought I'd make one anyway just to see people's different thoughts. I marry Sebastian every file, but I played multiplayer (even with my awful internet!) with some friends and I just had a lot of fun romancing Sebastian again... I'm itching to make a new file and start all over, but maybe play a bit differently than I usually do (but still marry Sebastian, obviously.)

My 1.5 file I actually made myself not speedrun romancing Sebastian so instead of us getting married around Fall y1, we got married near the end of year 2/early year 3 instead! I only had one baby on that file too so there's still a lot of family stuff to do. I should continue that file sometime, but sometimes it's nice to start a new file too

What are some challenges you guys did? I'm wondering if I should do like an ONLY crops run with the exception to having stuff for bundles... maybe I'll be only allowed to raise void chickens or bunnies or something, hahahah

I also never do kegs but admittedly that's a very boring tactic in the game for me, but maybe I should do it just to make money faster or something... what are some ideas you guys have for a refreshing run?

edit: in posting this i realized i haven't done 100% yet... maybe that could be a goal for this file too

Last edited:
I know we've had some topics like this before but I thought I'd make one anyway just to see people's different thoughts. I marry Sebastian every file, but I played multiplayer (even with my awful internet!) with some friends and I just had a lot of fun romancing Sebastian again... I'm itching to make a new file and start all over, but maybe play a bit differently than I usually do (but still marry Sebastian, obviously.)

My 1.5 file I actually made myself not speedrun romancing Sebastian so instead of us getting married around Fall y1, we got married near the end of year 2/early year 3 instead! I only had one baby on that file too so there's still a lot of family stuff to do. I should continue that file sometime, but sometimes it's nice to start a new file too

What are some challenges you guys did? I'm wondering if I should do like an ONLY crops run with the exception to having stuff for bundles... maybe I'll be only allowed to raise void chickens or bunnies or something, hahahah

I also never do kegs but admittedly that's a very boring tactic in the game for me, but maybe I should do it just to make money faster or something... what are some ideas you guys have for a refreshing run?

edit: in posting this i realized i haven't done 100% yet... maybe that could be a goal for this file too
I laughed when you said that you don't ever do kegs lol. I have 1100 kegs XD I have a keg addiction and my total earnings are over 45 mil. I can't say that I really have any suggestions for you, but a 100% file does seem like a good idea. That is what I'm working on right now...

Boo1972

Farmer
Hey y’all, this post contains 1.5 spoilers. Because these spoilers are pretty widely known at this point, I’m not going to hide most of them.

You know, I’m going for 100% again on a beach farm-also again. With the 1.5 addition of the Ginger Island Farm, you really just need the greenhouse and island farm to make the money necessary to rich perfection. This opens up the large space of the beach farm for experimentation. I did many, many fish ponds and an aquarium on my first beach layout and still had room for a tea house and sculpture garden, 2 barns, 2 coops, 5 sheds, 2 mushroom tree groves and more. My new farm will have multiple cabins and a restaurant. Haven’t decided what else, but there is a lot of freedom to be creative.

If the creative run isn’t your thing, an all crops run can be fun. I really enjoyed concentrating on growing quality crops.

Dating everyone at once is pretty awesome.

Every run I do is a humiliate Pierre at the Stardew Valley Fair. Every. Single. One.

I’m planning on doing a tropical fruit empire- no ancient fruit except what is necessary for bundles and completion.

A Joja run. I’m mean, if you’re completely soulless.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
First off, I think that I am not alone in seeing your notes reappear again on this forum and your willingness to start a new game, all of which tells us that you are recovering.
To answer your question, just like the bachelorette on TV, we all know where your heart lies . . . but I would start by breaking the mold and picking someone like Sam. He's very supportive and says nice things, but in all reality, he will only cause you to miss Sebastian, and then when you are rich, you can easily switch and give a great sigh of relief and have children with your true love. I would also pick a farm setup that you have not played before. Sure, you know most of the secrets of the game, but there's a definite feel to each of the different farm locations. There are many who focus on efficiency and accumulation of stuff, but I would recommend going the opposite way, and live a lifestyle that requires little effort on your part, so that you are free every day to wander and interact. Try hard to elicit some new conversation out of the villagers - dance with someone different at the flower dance, take a different route during the egg hunt, completely redecorate your house in a new style, place the mayor's shorts in the center of your grange display, go to the movies with villagers who you never normally invite. You are such a good writer, so maybe share with us some daily tidbits from your farmer's diary (nothing as elaborate as "A farm in the forest"). A little night-time writing therapy before you go to bed at night will give you good dreams.

rafab1

Greenhorn
Hey y’all, this post contains 1.5 spoilers. Because these spoilers are pretty widely known at this point, I’m not going to hide most of them.

You know, I’m going for 100% again on a beach farm-also again. With the 1.5 addition of the Ginger Island Farm, you really just need the greenhouse and island farm to make the money necessary to rich perfection. This opens up the large space of the beach farm for experimentation. I did many, many fish ponds and an aquarium on my first beach layout and still had room for a tea house and sculpture garden, 2 barns, 2 coops, 5 sheds, 2 mushroom tree groves and more. My new farm will have multiple cabins and a restaurant. Haven’t decided what else, but there is a lot of freedom to be creative.

If the creative run isn’t your thing, an all crops run can be fun. I really enjoyed concentrating on growing quality crops.

Dating everyone at once is pretty awesome.

Every run I do is a humiliate Pierre at the Stardew Valley Fair. Every. Single. One.

I’m planning on doing a tropical fruit empire- no ancient fruit except what is necessary for bundles and completion.

A Joja run. I’m mean, if you’re completely soulless.
You are funny, dude "Every. Single. One." ;)

rafab1

Greenhorn
You are funny, dude "Every. Single. One." ;)
And how the hell do you date everyone at once? Who has that much time, and that many appropriate gifts? I've been insulted so many times with my gifts to potential paramours.

Reactions: Tom

Boo1972

Farmer
And how the hell do you date everyone at once? Who has that much time, and that many appropriate gifts? I've been insulted so many times with my gifts to potential paramours.
I have two pieces of advice for you- fruit tree fruit and rabbit’s feet. Everyone likes fruit as long as it comes from a tree and everyone loves rabbits feet, sweet Penny excepted. But Penny loves several easily attained items- poppies, emeralds, melons, sand fish -which makes her one of the easiest to court, at least in my opinion.

Oh, my other piece of advice is Friday. Everyone is easily found around Pelican town on Friday.

Trust me on this, you want to date all the bachelors and bachelorettes at least once. Just, maybe keep one of those rabbit’s feet for yourself

Tom

Farmer
rabbit’s feet
Trust me on this, you want to date all the bachelors and bachelorettes at least once. Just, maybe keep one of those rabbit’s feet for yourself
Advice received!

Rabbit's feet: Totally. Put 9 rabbits in a Deluxe Coop and voila! All the wool and feet you need.

Boo1972

Farmer
What does this mean?
I never miss the fair and my grange display always wins. Even if I have cleared out the prizes booth the year before, I return again and again to beat Pierre. Want to claim credit for my hard(ish) work? Fine, but I’ll crush a little of your soul every year.

I may have anger issues.

My next 4 mini challenges I determined last night, and the idea is a simple one but perhaps some other folks would find them fun as well. It's just variants on a theme.

Farming Only - No activities allowed which grant Any XP for a Skill other than Farming
Fishing Only - No activities allowed which grant Any XP for a Skill other than Fishing
Foraging Only - No activities allowed which grant Any XP for a Skill other than Foraging
Mining and Combat Only - No activities allowed which grant Any XP for a Skill other than Mining or Combat

In each of them I'll be going the Joja route, with the idea being to get the Community Center as soon as possible, and I'll be comparing their relative 'completion dates'. It should be fun.

Cptldsilver

Planter
Do a "spooky" run through. Roommate krobus and decorate everything like a haunted house. Or you could go the challenge run route and do the fastest/most of something.

LRangerR

Local Legend

In reading your post i assume it's still applicable. I've recently enjoyed restricting myself to one or two -ish categories (farming, foraging, fishing, mining, combat). I've been trying to restrict myself and have fun and it's been a good time if you've been following my recent thread somewhere (search the valley showcase if you're curious). In that thread i'm doing only farming and foraging with minor exceptions. Imo pick what you want, but i look forward to hearing back from you.

Also 100% is bad goals IMO, but i've beaten that horse to death and i'll do it again.

Benhimself

Rancher
I'm currently playing what I call the Blackjack Run, where the goal is to get all 21 points on Grandpa's first evaluation. It's kind of like half-way between the Community Center and Perfection with a very well-defined time-limit: a whole slew of challenges none of which would be too difficult on their own but all of them, together, with only 2 years to accomplish them, is a whole other matter.

Sigrah

Farmer
I don't if this idea has been done before, but this might be a challenge: For your skills (Farming, Foraging, etc.), you have to pick the option that you normally avoid at level 5. For example, for Foraging, if you normally pick Gatherer, you have to pick Forester. If nothing else, hopefully it proves entertaining ;)

Savagerider

Tiller
the awesomeness of this game is. How many different ways you can play. it’s a personal decision. I go for more philosophical ideas. I’m in my second save and I’m forest farm and trying to just be sustainable. Just generally…if I may…whenever I see forest farm layouts, they have cut down ALL of the natural trees. I played early on with just tappers and bee hives. my premise has fallen a bit sideways, now I’m into cows, sorry if this is word salad

icKyou1025

Sodbuster
One thing I do is only plant crops for my own cooking or gifting (if you go this route invest in green beans early, nearly everyone likes getting these as gifts). I do use a keg to make wine, for Leah and only Leah. Stay away from her Elliot! I think I've given her every version of wine now. I typically enjoy raising animals and fishing most in this game so my playthroughs usually revolve around that

Elenna101

Farmer
One thing I do is only plant crops for my own cooking or gifting (if you go this route invest in green beans early, nearly everyone likes getting these as gifts). I do use a keg to make wine, for Leah and only Leah. Stay away from her Elliot! I think I've given her every version of wine now. I typically enjoy raising animals and fishing most in this game so my playthroughs usually revolve around that
In fact, nearly everyone likes most vegetables (aside from hops, tea leaves, wheat, and rice). Parsnips might also be a good idea if you're looking for a cheap vegetable gift in Spring. You'll get more vegetables eventually with green beans if you have the money to buy them early (60g for a bean starter which eventually gives 6 beans if you plant it early enough, while you can only get 3 parsnips for 60g). But parsnips grow faster, so if you want gifts early, they're good. Or if you have more money in late spring and want to plant some more veggies for gifts, the fast growing time is good there too.