Pets...any future improvements coming???

Tinks

Planter
Anyone know if there's plans to do more with the pets?

The dogs all brown only 3... would be nice to be able to choose a black dog or have the option to set up their colour and sex the same as with the character on the first screen, would have thought a collie be best breed for a farm!! but maybe its different in the US? Here black & white Border collies are by far the most frequent dog found on a farm!

Be nice to be able to have a cat (for catching the rats in the barns) AND a dog (for rounding up the sheep, ducks, !!! etc ) :) Jack Russell's (or other small terriers) are also commonly used as 'ratters' on farms too. ..so a small dog option as well as more medium sized breeds. Some countries have giant breeds as protection for their flocks (ie Anatolian Shepherd Dog - Europe where there's wild wolves). ..how about a small, medium and large option and you can alter their colours using the sliders similar to the ones for the characters hair and clothes etc???

Maybe an in game option too for those who already have established farms and don't want to start again by the time it updated but did want more breed/colour choice for their farm dog? Maybe they can follow you round more (dogs) or have a kennel by the animals if their job is to protect them?..and can be more active if you chose to have monsters at night on your farm??? ..or have the Wilderness Farm?

I just think that like the kids you have, more could be done with their roles in the game. As the game really has a huge amount of potential and flexibility if only one person needs to ok an idea rather than an whole development Team agree on something first! (probably why BOTW2 is taking so long due to sheer amount of people involved in it!)

Mr_Jakob99

Farmhand
Well for more breeds and that stuff, there are some mods which change the appearance of your pets (Adopt 'n' Skin). There also is a mod called "Cat Gifts", where your cat lays you presents in front of your door and your dog digs stuff out of the ground randomly.
And there was one, where you could let your pets follow you. But I don't know if it is still working. It's called "Pet Interactions".

I too think, that the pets and the kids could really use some extra attention (for the kids there are also some mods which are good!). But Concerned Ape is currently working on his next game, so I would put more hope in the modding community than in the creator.

Tinks

Planter
Thanks I'm on switch though so I don't think any mods work on it. Maybe the creator will include all these things he missed out of Stardew Valley in his next game? (for everyone to enjoy not only the computer savvy!)

MissDandy

Farmer
I'm on the switch too, no mods, but even if it's not coming soon I do believe there will be updates for the non-modders in the future. (I personally would like to see Huskies added, they're very popular here in Canada.)

Tinks

Planter
I'm on the switch too, no mods, but even if it's not coming soon I do believe there will be updates for the non-modders in the future. (I personally would like to see Huskies added, they're very popular here in Canada.)

Not many Huskies on farms though surely? ..like rounding up sheep..proper working on it? ....I wish someone would invent a farming sim where you can actually be an hill farmer, have your sheep out on the hills and a dog or teams of dogs to round them up and bring them out/take them out!

I did look at the farming simulator one but I can't find any mention of being able to train the dog to bring the sheep in...it just seems to sit in a kennel outside the house and you can train it to sit & play ball with it! ... complete waste of a potentially great feature there for a game about farming!!! ...rest of game is realistic with machinery and stuff!

There used to be a game called 'Sheep' on the original playstation where the whole game was about rounding up sheep with your dog(s), haven't found anything similar on Switch yet!!

Tinks

Planter
Is there a way to change your Pet halfway through? or do you get an option to add another pet in an update? Wish I'd gone with the dog for both files now cos can leave it to guard my animals while I'm off fishing and mining!!

Tinks

Planter
I don't know whether to start again before I get too far?... in Forest Farm I wish I'd got a dog. Though have dog on the other game and it doesn't interact with me much more than the cat does! ..it does lie in a good place though for guarding the animals (middle of farm) and looks like a german shepherd dog! - (the pointy eared one) :smile:

Ereo

Helper
I don't think there are large differences between animals playstylewise. They both just run around and play, and you can pet them and fill their water bowl.

imnvs

Local Legend
I don't think there are large differences between animals playstylewise. They both just run around and play, and you can pet them and fill their water bowl.
Cats do seem to be easier to find to pet, but otherwise, no difference indeed.

Also, I do not expect much for future updates to the game. CA is working on a new game, and we got years of free updates for this one already. We were told to expect some minor additional content, but we've also been cautioned not to expect too much... and I think that is wise. People get upset when expectations are not met, so not expecting much will leave me a happier person.

Phate4569

Planter
I just want pets (and family) to have the same collision detection as farm animals. Getting stuck because the stupid pet is face-first in a wall/object running is one of the stupidest long-standing bugs in this game.

Tinks

Planter
Cats do seem to be easier to find to pet, but otherwise, no difference indeed.

Also, I do not expect much for future updates to the game. CA is working on a new game, and we got years of free updates for this one already. We were told to expect some minor additional content, but we've also been cautioned not to expect too much... and I think that is wise. People get upset when expectations are not met, so not expecting much will leave me a happier person.
Yeah I've seen a video about the next game...as a chocoholic that's definitely going on my future games list! Wouldn't it be great if you could order the chocolates you invented to be sent through the post in real life to try!!! :laugh:

Tinks

Planter
I don't see why you can't at least have a back and white dog, cos there's a black and white cat..all the dogs are just brown.

If they do do a smaller update later in the year I hope they think to add a sheepdog! I'd do a wilderness farm just full of sheep and a sheepdog! :laugh: ..even better if you could have more than one dog...for consoles as well that mods don't work on!

I'm just itching for a game where I can create two dogs that look like mine and have a load of sheep and ducks for them to round up!!

Tinks

Planter
I found a picture online of other dogs in SDV ...including a Border Collie!! ...perfect for a Hillside Sheep Farm!!

I don't understand....if the guy has created the game on a computer and the modders have created these dogs on computer...why can't they use the same method as 'updates' to add the other dogs breeds for the console versions???

Boo1972

Farmer
I found a picture online of other dogs in SDV ...including a Border Collie!! ...perfect for a Hillside Sheep Farm!!

I don't understand....if the guy has created the game on a computer and the modders have created these dogs on computer...why can't they use the same method as 'updates' to add the other dogs breeds for the console versions???
I’m not a computer programmer but I’ll try to explain as best I can. CA taught himself how to program by working on this game. That is quite an impressive feat. I going to assume at the time the game came out, he was only proficient in the language in which he wrote SDV. Different companies use different languages and certain proprietary rules for their devices. Apple and Nintendo keep that information as secret as possible. So in order for people to play SDV on iOS or the Switch, CA has to hire other people to port or translate SDV. Modders own their mods. They probably lack the cash to hire people to port their mods- if Apple and Nintendo would even allow it.

Tinks

Planter
but the original developer could have added other dogs into his updates? ..as I think he added some other animals and more marriage candidates after the original release?

but the original developer could have added other dogs into his updates? ..as I think he added some other animals and more marriage candidates after the original release?
Well, long story short, the developer has worked extremely hard to put out large content updates as regularly as possible, alone, I might add and he obviously can't please everyone. This suggestion was not wanted by enough people or even brought up, and at this point, Concerned Ape, or Eric Barone, the developer of SDV is working on a new game. This obviously reduces the time he has for bug fixes and updates for Stardew. He still does the bug fixes but he just doesn't have the time to make more content for Stardew. Perhaps he will in the future, but I am of the mind that he has already given us more than enough. I know there are people who want more from the game and I understand that. What I don't understand is how people can expect more and more beyond all of the new content we already have. Now, understand that I am not trying to be rude, I am merely trying to point out that CA does more to try and please the fanbase with new content than AAA studios with 10's if not 100's of people working on the game, instead of one. He certainly does his best. Everything I've mentioned before isn't even taking into account that he is also still working on porting 1.5 to mobile, which is very admirable, due to the fact that mobile indisputably makes him less money and has given him the hardest time by far of all of the platforms the game is on. I for one, expect no more from CA than he has already given us. I would of course love more content, but I by no means expect it.

Tinks

Planter
Been completely new to the game with no idea of the history of upgrades etc it just seems like a bit of an oversight given the detail that has gone into other aspects of game. Maybe he's just not a pet lover. I have heard many more americans keep their dogs outside in kennels.

Given my real life dog is more important to me than most people, had I known how to make a game like this no doubt much more detail would gone into the dogs and what they could do on the farm and maybe not as much detail gone into the other villagers!