Option to install and uninstall mods into the game on the main window

ArkhruN

Farmhand
Hello everyone!, I'm here to suggest creating a button within the game, in the main window when you log in to the game, which leads to a navigation with lists of mods and their creators[1], so that you can automatically download and install the selected mod . I see many people reporting problems with installing mods or "crash" problems, loss of saved games, on top of all that I see people having difficulty installing and uninstalling mods, I myself am one of those people and a lot of material about mod is not in my native language, therefore, I would like to make an appeal for this option to install/uninstall mods inside the game to be developed for Stardew Valley, as I see in other games like "Age of Empires", "don't starve together" , and others.

[1] These lists can be organized by categories, where mods are separated by functionality, visuals, maps, items, nps, creators, general. It would also be interesting to create a recognition system for mod creators.

Thank you for your attention and I hope this gets to the creator of the game (thx for this game, u are cool).

Odin

Staff member
I'm here to suggest creating a button within the game, in the main window when you log in to the game, which leads to a navigation with lists of mods and their creators[1], so that you can automatically download and install the selected mod . I see many people reporting problems with installing mods or "crash" problems, loss of saved games, on top of all that I see people having difficulty installing and uninstalling mods
I can't speak for ConcernedApe and I'm not a developer, but unfortunately this wouldn't solve many problems associated with mods. For one, any mod that was available to install "within" the game like that, would either need to be bundled with the game itself (significantly increasing the game's download size for everyone, even if most people never use that mod) or it would need to be downloaded when the player requests it (likely requiring the game to rely on servers).

Then there's the issue of how all those mods would receive updates, and it's likely that any future game updates would have to be held back until all in-game mods are updated to work with the new update. A mod being included in the game unfortunately wouldn't make crashes or glitches any less likely, it would just shift who people saw as responsible for resolving the issue. Right now, if the game updates and a mod breaks, or a mod causes the game to crash or stutter, people go to the creator of that mod. If the mod was in the game, and an issue occurred, people would go to ConcernedApe.

Then there's the question of which mods would be given this "official" status, and which wouldn't (it's unlikely more than a small sample of mods could ever be added into the game). Some mod creators may want their mods included, and other might not. There would also need to a way for mods to properly credit the people that created them.

I can't speak for ConcernedApe and I'm not a developer, but unfortunately this wouldn't solve many problems associated with mods.
Very true. Mods are not a simple issue.
I think the way it is solved in OpenXCom is quite good. The game itself only offers easy support, but no included mods. CA is probably planning in a similar direction.

Maybe CA & the developers could recommend some (well tested) mods, similar to how Mozilla recommends some Firefox addons!?