PC NPC Like/Dislike Inconsistency Thread

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I find it odd that Leo dislikes mango sticky rice, and I get the feeling that this might've been an oversight. I say this because, when Leo sends the farmer the recipe for it, the letter says that it's a recipe "that me and my family enjoy." The recipe for poi that he sends the farmer comes with the same message, and it's one of his loved gifts. Not only that, but mango is another one of his loved gifts. With that in mind, shouldn't mango sticky rice be one of his loved or liked gifts?

EDIT: I decided to turn this thread into a general NPC like/dislike inconsistency thread. Anything noted in this thread will be catalogued in the first post here, sorted by NPC.

EDIT 2: Leo disliking mango sticky rice has been fixed in Update 1.5.3!

Krobus
- Hates strange buns, but they contain void mayonnaise (which he loves), can be dropped by Shadow People in the mines, and it's a dish that he can sell; Should probably be a loved gift.
- Hates bug meat and bug steaks, despite the fact that he has roommate dialogue where he happily eats bugs; Bug meat should probably be a liked gift, with bug steaks as a loved gift.

Lewis
- Dislikes milk despite having a fridge full of it; Should probably be a liked gift.

Abigail
- Dislikes blackberries, despite the fact that blackberry cobbler is one of her loved gifts; Should probably at least be a liked gift.

Harvey
- Loves apple slices at the movie theater, but apples are only a liked gift; Should probably be a loved gift.

Shane
- Loves Joja cola at the movie theater, but hates it as a gift; Should probably be a loved gift.

Pam
- Likes Joja cola at the movie theater, but hates it as a gift; Should probably be a liked gift.

Last edited:

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
It's not just Leo either. I've found that there are a few inconsistencies when it comes to things that certain NPCs like and dislike. The most notable ones I've found were with Krobus. For one, he hates strange buns, despite the fact that it contains void mayonnaise (which he loves), can be dropped by Shadow People in the mines, and it's one of the dishes that he can potentially sell. And he also hates both bug meat and bug steaks, despite the fact that he has lines of roommate dialogue where he very happily eats bugs. With that in mind, I think that strange buns and bug steaks should be loved gifts, and bug meat should be a liked gift. Honestly, I'm debating on turning this into a general like/dislike inconsistency thread. Any objections?

Ereo

Helper
I'd like to nominate Lewis. He has a fridge full of milk but dislikes it. Okay, you could argue he doesn't want to tell Marnie that he hates it, but I rather think he should like it.

I noticed some other ones, but I forgot which ones... There are a couple of inconsistent likes for sure!

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
I went ahead and made this into a general like/dislike inconsistency thread, with noted inconsistencies being catalogued in the first post. Here are some others I've noticed:

- Abigail dislikes blackberries, despite blackberry cobbler being one of her loved gifts.
- Harvey loves apple slices at the movie theater, but apples are only a liked gift. I love the irony of a doctor character really loving apples.
- Shane loves Joja cola at the movie theater, but hates it as a gift.
- Pam likes Joja cola at the movie theater, but hates it as a gift.

I don't mention the Dwarf's dislike of milk despite having an interest in it because that might be very well intentional. I'm not entirely sure, though.

Last edited:

Ereo

Helper
For the dwarf, he says he wants to know about milk, so maybe he just hates it when he tries it for the first time.

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Another reason that Shane and Pam hating Joja cola doesn't make much sense: Both Shane and Pam also like JojaCorn at the movie theater, with Shane outright loving JojaCorn. And at the resort, Pam wears a hat that says "Joja" on it.

mouse

Farmer
I'm not outright voting against any of these or anything, but the only one I feel like is a definite oops (vs suggestion or something) is Leo's recipe, because of the specific text.

Other stuff just depends on interpretation; maybe Marnie keeps giving Lewis milk and he doesn't actually want any (more), getting a drink from concessions for a night out is arguably different from getting a can for a gift, similarly wearing a branded cap from a megacorp doesn't mean you want their soft drink as a present (especially in place of beer if you prefer it), enjoying a cooked dessert doesn't mean you love the raw ingredients and vice versa, happy with healthy snack for movie but an apple on a normal day cannot compete with coffee, etc.

If any of them are oversights all of that reasoning would just be handwaving, but it's kind of the same in the other direction to me, in that it just depends and is kind of eh either way :D

Last edited:

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Pfft, Marnie sending Lewis a whole bunch of milk that he doesn't actually like but accepts to be polite? That's a funny image!

Last edited:
One inconsistency I found is that, while Penny likes all artifacts, she seems to hate all island fossils. You would think she would like them too, being scientific curiosities like the things in the museum collection.

LRangerR

Local Legend
One inconsistency I found is that, while Penny likes all artifacts, she seems to hate all island fossils. You would think she would like them too, being scientific curiosities like the things in the museum collection.
Maybe Penny just hates the island.

If any of them are oversights all of that reasoning would just be handwaving, but it's kind of the same in the other direction to me, in that it just depends and is kind of eh either way :D
It really could go in either direction for most of them, and I agree that some of them are situational (movie theater examples). Perhaps Krobus has a really good reason and some kinda PTSD for hating strange buns. He also never really specified which bugs he likes. It's like someone saying they love berries and you bring over a pineapple, which you hate (yes, it's a berry, so is a tomato).

I wonder why Willy is neutral to Legend fish.
Because he respects the waters and the things that live in it. I've wondered that as well and it's probably because he thinks they shouldn't be caught. After you give him the Legendary fish he probably sets them free.