Issue No sound with libSDL2-2.0.0 controller fix...

jamesu1990

Newcomer
Hi,

So i have had issues getting my Xbox Series 2 Elite Controller to work, after following some instructions from this forum i replaced the libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib file with one i found. This makes the controller work but now i get no sound. I get the following error:

Code:
Last login: Thu Oct 27 18:26:47 on ttys000
jamesunderhill@Jamess-MacBook-Pro ~ % /tmp/open-smapi-terminal.command ; exit;
[SMAPI] SMAPI 3.17.2 with Stardew Valley 1.5.6 (build 1.3.37.0) on macOS Unix 13.0.0
[SMAPI] Mods go here: /Users/jamesunderhill/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS/Mods
[SMAPI] Waiting for game to launch...
[game] Game.Initialize() caught exception initializing XACT:
Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.NoAudioHardwareException (0x80004005)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.SoundEffect.Device()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.SoundEffect.Initialize()
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.SoundEffect..ctor(MiniFormatTag codec, Byte[] buffer, Int32 channels, Int32 sampleRate, Int32 blockAlignment, Int32 loopStart, Int32 loopLength)
   at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Audio.WaveBank..ctor(AudioEngine audioEngine, String waveBankFilename, Boolean streaming, Int32 offset, Int32 packetsize)
   at StardewValley.Game1.Initialize()
[SMAPI] Loading mod metadata...
[SMAPI] Loading mods...
[SMAPI] Loaded 4 mods:
[SMAPI]    CJB Cheats Menu 1.32.1 by CJBok and Pathoschild | Simple in-game cheats menu!
[SMAPI]    Console Commands 3.17.2 by SMAPI | Adds SMAPI console commands that let you manipulate the game.
[SMAPI]    Error Handler 3.17.2 by SMAPI | Handles some common vanilla errors to log more useful info or avoid breaking the game.
[SMAPI]    Save Backup 3.17.2 by SMAPI | Automatically backs up all your saves once per day into its folder.

[SMAPI] Launching mods...
[SMAPI] Mods loaded and ready!
[S_API] SteamAPI_Init(): Loaded '/Users/jamesunderhill/Library/Application Support/Steam/Steam.AppBundle/Steam/Contents/MacOS/steamclient.dylib' OK.
Setting breakpad minidump AppID = 413150
SteamInternal_SetMinidumpSteamID:  Caching Steam ID:  76561197980059068 [API loaded no]
[SMAPI] Type 'help' for help, or 'help <cmd>' for a command's usage

Saving session...
...copying shared history...
...saving history...truncating history files...
...completed.

[Process completed]
If i verify the game files then the sound works but the controller doesn't. So i can either play with a controller and no sound or with sound and no controller.

I'm on MacOS Ventura 13.0.

Any help is appreciated, i can provide any other logs if necessary.

Many thanks,

kdk11d

Newcomer
Hi there! I have the same controller and problem: with the SDL2 files here I couldn't get it to work together. I found another file that worked for me (Mac OS Sonoma M1).
I took it from here ( ares-v135/ares.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib )
How would one install this? this is my last hope :(

Ratchett03

Farmhand
Hi there! I have the same controller and problem: with the SDL2 files here I couldn't get it to work together. I found another file that worked for me (Mac OS Sonoma M1).
I took it from here ( ares-v135/ares.app/Contents/Frameworks/libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib )
Hi! Can you explain how to install it please? My last hope

oxygen1234

Newcomer
Sweet. This one works with the new SDV 1.6 on a mac M1 with Sonoma 14.4. I got Stardew Valley from GOG.

For those needing help installing try this:
1. Open Finder
2. Navigate to Applications and find Stardew Valley in there
3. Right click on it and select 'Show Package Contents'
4. In the new Finder window that opened navigate to Contents/MacOS/
5. Find a file called libSDL-2.0.0.dylib
6. Right click on it to rename it to libSDL-2.0.0.dylib.orig. If it all goes badly, rename this file back to its original name to restore things
7. Copy the linked file here that you downloaded into this location
8. Run SDV as normal

That's it!

lancaster2124

Greenhorn
Sweet. This one works with the new SDV 1.6 on a mac M1 with Sonoma 14.4. I got Stardew Valley from GOG.

1. Open Finder
6. Right click on it to rename it to libSDL-2.0.0.dylib.orig. If it all goes badly, rename this file back to its original name to restore things
8. Run SDV as normal

That's it!
Thank you so so so much! This worked wonders for me on my M2pro running Sonoma14.3.1.

timmychunga

Newcomer

1. Open Finder
8. Run SDV as normal

That's it!
Thank you so much for posting Oxy - this worked perfectly!

nocturnalchas

Newcomer
Hi all, wondered if you may be able to help...I've navigated into Contents > MacOS, but the only file is "run.sh". Does this fix only work if you got Stardew Valley from GOG? Mine is from Steam. Thank you!

brandester32

Newcomer
Hi all, wondered if you may be able to help...I've navigated into Contents > MacOS, but the only file is "run.sh". Does this fix only work if you got Stardew Valley from GOG? Mine is from Steam. Thank you!
For Steam, the location is:
/Users/[YOUR USERNAME]/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS

I just confirmed this fix works for SVD on Steam with a wireless Xbox One controller.

jxckiedv

Newcomer
I've just done it and it worked! I used this file and here's how I did it:

(for reference, I have a 2020 macbook air with sonoma 14.0, and an xbox series x controller)

1. download the file in the linked message (open the zip folder to download)
2. Open steam>library>stardew valley> settings>properties>installed files>browse>contents>macOS
3. Look for file "libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib" - if you have one exactly called this, great, if you see one that looks nearly identical, change the name so it is exactly identical to the name of the downloaded file. If the names aren't exactly the same this will not work.
4. Transfer the downloaded file into this folder, you should get a warning message saying there is a file with the same name - make sure you click replace file so the original file gets deleted and replaced with the new file
5. Open stardew valley and it should work!

Hope this helps! happy farming!

yeeyee23

Newcomer
hey guys, this solution worked perfectly for me on my mac m2 running ventura, on VANILLA stardew. i have an xbox series x/s controller for context. I installed a few mods last night that are working perfectly, but now my controller isn't working at all. any idea on how i could fix this?

henleee

Newcomer
Hi everyone! Confirming that this fixed all my controller issues using Nintendo Joy-cons left right pair on my MacBook Pro 2.3 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 macOS Ventura 13.6.6.

You can access the hidden library on mac by opening finder and clicking GO on the navbar at the top of the screen and then pressing the option key.

Then paste the file into /Users/YOURUSERNAME/Library/Application Support/Steam/steamapps/common/Stardew Valley/Contents/MacOS

Last edited:

vaeleastar

Newcomer
I've just done it and it worked! I used this file and here's how I did it:

(for reference, I have a 2020 macbook air with sonoma 14.0, and an xbox series x controller)

1. download the file in the linked message (open the zip folder to download)
2. Open steam>library>stardew valley> settings>properties>installed files>browse>contents>macOS
3. Look for file "libSDL2-2.0.0.dylib" - if you have one exactly called this, great, if you see one that looks nearly identical, change the name so it is exactly identical to the name of the downloaded file. If the names aren't exactly the same this will not work.
4. Transfer the downloaded file into this folder, you should get a warning message saying there is a file with the same name - make sure you click replace file so the original file gets deleted and replaced with the new file
5. Open stardew valley and it should work!

Hope this helps! happy farming!
Mate, you've got no bloody idea how long I've been searching for a fix to this; I've just started playing SDV for the first time and love playing modded on my work Mac. Got the controller working a while back but had no sound. Decided to refresh the Mods and get sound working and this fix is the first one I've found that worked absolutely perfectly. Thank you so much!
Sincerely, a 34yo Aussie lass who was ready to chuck the Mac out the window <3