Question No Sandbox [PSA For SDV mods]

SomeoneEls

Farmer
[TLDR]
For anyone that doesnt know what a sandbox is, just know that if SDV does NOT have a sandbox, any mod can be a VIRUS.
If it does have a sandbox, tell me under this post pls :D
If windows defender pops up, be safe, don't run it.
Just be safe... We probably need some sort of verification? Maybe?
[TLDR]


Hi there! Just wanted to tell ya all that the current SDV mod structure does not use any sandbox that I know of.
If there is one, tell me.
But by experience, I can access your username on your computer. I did this originally as a secret thank you note to anyone that uses the Chaosmod,
but looking at it, there might be more.. bad applications.
That and I can use unsafe operations like goto. I know what I'm doing, and I don't mess around with pointers, but messing around with system memory could be verrrry bad.

Other things that are more technical:
This is probably not available via json mods, only C#.
Not for content patcher either.

My goto usage is because I got stuck in a ton of nesting in my code and I needed to get out, somehow.
So, instead of setting a ton of flags, I just use a goto instead.

So yeah. Just be careful, and if windows defender pops up or something, please think twice.
 

Lenora Rose

Farmer
Generally if you get your mods from a reputable site, like Nexus, they also do virus checking and people would report fast if something popular or appealing contained something new and malicious. And in Github if you know enough to know what is bad (as in mean/dangerous, not unskilled) you can look at the code itself.

But, I mean, anything downloaded straight to your computer has the potential to contain a virus. A certain amount of caution is always warranted.
 
Top