Windows No game audio unless in compatibility mode?

steeldollhouse

Greenhorn
Ever since the 1.5 update, I've been absolutely unable to get any game audio to work unless I run the game in compatibility mode. I've double- and triple-checked that the audio hasn't been muted in the game or in my PC settings, all my PC drivers are updated, the NET Framework is updated, XNA Framework 4.0 is updated, verified the files in Steam, uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times... no success. Seems other people have been having this issue as well but I can't find anything that actually addresses it.

The problem with compatibility mode is that it doesn't allow you to mod the game, and I rely on some mods for accessibility purposes. So I'm playing non-modded at the moment, because playing Stardew in complete silence is just wrong, but it's a struggle sometimes and significantly less fun. Is there any solution to this? Thanks.

steeldollhouse

Greenhorn
UPDATE: I have discovered that I can get it to work, but only if I'm using Bluetooth headphones. Any kind of wired speaker or wired headphone connection throws a NoAudioHardware error. Assuming this is some kind of small code bug. But to anyone else with this problem, try Bluetooth headphones! I spent so long frustrated by this and the fix was so easy.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Hi steeldollhouse and Welcome to the Forums!

There is another audio code bug which has been in the game since the beginning and I've been hit with it: If you change your audio source during play (external speakers to headphones for example) the game will crash. I suppose you could be experiencing another bug related to the same audio issue. Just a guess but I'm happy you at least found a solution that works!