New Saplings/Flowers/Fruits for Sandy and New Trader (1.5 content included)

I know there are mods to add more crops but they tend to add an overwhelming amount of new seeds for me, and I'm starting to prefer playing on the switch. I'd also love to see Sandy develop more over time such as coming to Festivals at 5 hearts+, or become dateable, but at the very least I think it would make sense if she expanded her shop's stock once like Pierre does.

Sandy's New Seeds:

In year 3, Sandy's "Special Crop Request" can appear on on the special orders board so long as the player has unlocked the desert. The quest text will state something like: "I'm trying to convince my supplier to offer me more seed varieties. I think I can convince her if I show her high quality crops grown from the seeds I sell!" You'll then have 28 days to grow 20 beets, 20 starfruit, and 20 rhubarb of at least gold quality, and drop them off in a crop box at her store.

The rewards for completing this quest will be 6000g, friendship, a cutscene, and new seeds for sale (she'll send a notification letter in the mail):
-Hyacinth flower seeds (spring; 40g)
- Dahlia flower seeds (summer/fall; 100g)
- Avocado sapling (spring, 4000g)
- Persimmon Sapling (fall; 6000g)
- Vanilla fruit seeds (fall; trellis; 60g)
- Kiwi fruit seeds (spring; trellis; 60g)

I've also been itching to grow ringfruit and think the game could benefit from a few more flowers (especially on a tropical island)! Since flowers can also grow year round on ginger island, meaning year-round honey, I think it would be neat to have honey that is exclusive to ginger island.

Island Trader new seeds:

Once you find all 120 walnuts on ginger island, the island trader will have two more plants added to their stock:

- Hibiscus flower seeds/sapling (island/greenhouse only; cost 1 mango)
- Ringfruit sapling (island/greenhouse only; cost 10 bananas)

General Updates to integrate new plants:

- Putting a vanilla fruit in the oil machine will make vanilla extract.
- At 10 hearts, Gus will send the recipe for his special candy canes in the mail: (1) vanilla extract, (1) ringfruit
- The recipe for guacamole will be on sale at the saloon: (1) avocado, (1) tomato, (1) radish
- You can make a flower crown using cloth and hibiscus at the sewing machine
- Hibiscus makes hibiscus honey (island only); hyacinths and dahlias also make respective honey
- Sandy now loves hyacinths and dahlias

I didn't add new veggies because there are just so many compared to fruit and flowers, and I don't have a strong desire for more honestly. I tried to include crops that would offer a good balance to what already exists. Please let me know what you think or if you have suggestions!

Last edited:
I was also thinking that maybe hibiscus flowers can grow in a similar way to the tea saplings [like a bush that don't need to be watered]? Once they're fully grown they'll have buds for two weeks, then flower for two weeks. It could more closely reflect how they grow in new life and expand on the tea sapling mechanic at the same time :)