New Action Idea *Wizard's Tower*

Rahuruk

Greenhorn
Came up with the idea of adding a new action to the game for the Wizards tower, which would add a bit more player traffic to the lake/woods area of the game.

The action would apply a boost to another action of the player's choice,

I haven't exactly worked out the idea out entirely yet but I was thinking of just a small boost, like +1 reroll for fishing or animal collecting, or setting 1 die to a desired face before rolling the 2nd on the mine, basically providing the things people have already come up with as house rules but making them an in game mechanic you activate instead of having those house rules active at all times. The action boost would also only last for that round of player turns.

You of course would have to spend a resource to get this boost, I was thinking of rabbit's foot since that gives a buff to the animal buying/collection aspect which in my group feels kind of weak.

The Wizard's villager card doesn't have a gift effect and maybe he could have one added that would allow you to spend a rabbit's foot to use Wizard's Tower effect without spending the action during the action phase to do it.

Here's a board edit I made to show how it'd look on the board.

I'd love to hear suggestions on how it should work or what it should cost to use, or just what people think about it.

Edit: I would also like to mention that this mechanic was specifically crafted for use in my 2 year campaign idea where all of Grandpa's Goals must be completed and with double the amount of community bundles so this new action may not be as useful in a 1 year game.

Last edited:

Valimure

Tiller
Love the idea of including the Wizard Tower. While a boost action could work, I think costing one action in and of itself is already fairly expensive even without the added material cost.

Another idea for how it could operate, though, would be to "craft an epic item" kind of like how his spellbook works. You'd pay something like 10 gold + 2 or 3 resources to trade for one. This would give some early game relevance to that area as you need to go that direction to get wood anyway and aiming for an early epic item or two can really help your game.

While we're talking about possible expansions as well, I'd also love to see a Slime Hutch and Fish Pond added to the game in the future. Slime Hutch could be as simple as just passively adding one or two gold to it every week / turn and then spending an action to collect it whenever.

Fish Pond could allow you to "fish" without needing to roll the dice at the cost of needing additional turns or resources. Either you'd be able to discard a resource (or resources) to equal the value of a fish to take it off the tracker, which would count as a catch, or perhaps you spend an action to move a fish from the tracker to the pond, and then another action to "empty" the pond whenever you want.

Rahuruk

Greenhorn
Love the idea of including the Wizard Tower. While a boost action could work, I think costing one action in and of itself is already fairly expensive even without the added material cost.
Yeah you might be right. I added a way to use it without providing the rabbits foot, as well as increased the benefits of the effects to make it more worthwhile. Also keep in mind the spouse could use the wizard's tower as well in games where players get married.

I mostly came up with this idea because in my games we usually have a few rounds where one player didn't really have great actions to take that round and would kind of just throw one somewhere.

For example we had cleared all bundles and had only museum and mine 12F grandpa goals left, and the fishing player was just kind of throwing actions around because the mining player was handling the mine by himself pretty well.

With this new action you always have something you can try if you have nothing else to do or can't think of a better way to contribute.

Also as a side note, I really like the mine event and event cards in this game but they don't get drawn very often and am currently brainstorming ways to make them pop up just a little bit more.

Another idea for how it could operate, though, would be to "craft an epic item" kind of like how his spellbook works. You'd pay something like 10 gold + 2 or 3 resources to trade for one. This would give some early game relevance to that area as you need to go that direction to get wood anyway and aiming for an early epic item or two can really help your game.
This idea could actually be worked into my current draft as a benefit for boosting the Wizard himself. His boost could be "May trade X gold and X resources for an Epic Item"

Last edited:

deab

Newcomer
Came up with the idea of adding a new action to the game for the Wizards tower, which would add a bit more player traffic to the lake/woods area of the game.

The action would apply a boost to another action of the player's choice,

I haven't exactly worked out the idea out entirely yet but I was thinking of just a small boost, like +1 reroll for fishing or animal collecting, or setting 1 die to a desired face before rolling the 2nd on the mine, basically providing the things people have already come up with as house rules but making them an in game mechanic you activate instead of having those house rules active at all times. The action boost would also only last for that round of player turns.

You of course would have to spend a resource to get this boost, I was thinking of rabbit's foot since that gives a buff to the animal buying/collection aspect which in my group feels kind of weak.

The Wizard's villager card doesn't have a gift effect and maybe he could have one added that would allow you to spend a rabbit's foot to use Wizard's Tower effect without spending the action during the action phase to do it.

Here's a board edit I made to show how it'd look on the board.

I'd love to hear suggestions on how it should work or what it should cost to use, or just what people think about it.

Edit: I would also like to mention that this mechanic was specifically crafted for use in my 2 year campaign idea where all of Grandpa's Goals must be completed and with double the amount of community bundles so this new action may not be as useful in a 1 year game.
Would you have a png or image file for the Wizard's Tower action? I've printed you're previous ones for the museum display and builings/farm player boards which have become almost permanent fixtures I add to the board whenever I'm playing your solo, the Wizards Towers would really bring it together