Natural-looking (i.e. grass) tiles/paths

SentinelUA

Greenhorn
Was always thinking that it would be kind of cool to have a craft-able or purchased tile that mimics short, cut grass or something along those lines (which also changes with the seasons).
Someone has actually made a mod that has this sort of functionality: https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/2726
Would be cool to have this as an addition to the base game, as although I play on PC, mods are a bit finicky when it comes to multiplayer - so having this be a vanilla feature would be great!

Take a look, for example, at this farm, which I believe uses this mod heavily in between the trees and along the pond edges. This looks fantastic!

EDIT: Credit: User Haebaragi in the thread https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/show-off-your-farm.108973/page-5
Unfortunately it appears the image is no longer available on that thread.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
Would barn/coop animals be able to eat that grass, or is it simply a path/flooring option?

SentinelUA

Greenhorn
Would barn/coop animals be able to eat that grass, or is it simply a path/flooring option?
Personally I was just thinking of it as a flooring option, as I think that grass (i.e. the grass that grows from grass starters) already functionally works well as a gameplay element. This would just be an aesthetical addition.

imnvs

Local Legend
Personally I was just thinking of it as a flooring option, as I think that grass (i.e. the grass that grows from grass starters) already functionally works well as a gameplay element. This would just be an aesthetical addition.
Perfect. I was wondering your intention there, and if you intended it to also be eaten I was going to point out the problem... I don't want my cows eating my paths! 😅

tomaO2

Planter
Well, I would personally like an option to have edible/harvestable grass that regrows in its own, looks less wild, and doesn't slow down the character when running through it (I think it slows you down? I feel like I'm going slower, anyway).

I'm used to grass tiles that are inherently renewable so you don't have to rely on the whims of how fast it can spread out again. You can precisely calculate the amount of grass needed for the number of animals you set to pasture. I find it annoying that I have to worry about replanting (although I will try this statue trick that Imnvs suggested when spring comes), and I don't like how easily the chickens can hide in the wild grass. I don't always remember to close the barn doors at night and it makes finding them annoying.

If the cows eat this grass, there is still grass, it's just short.

Odin

Staff member
This would be a great addition to the game!
Just a heads up, that site appears to be rehosting other people's content without permission. I tried to find the original creator of that farm, but was unsuccessful. It appears it was originally shared somewhere in this thread on the Chucklefish forums, but I don't have time to go through and find it (if it's even still there).

SentinelUA

Greenhorn
This would be a great addition to the game!

Just a heads up, that site appears to be rehosting other people's content without permission. I tried to find the original creator of that farm, but was unsuccessful. It appears it was originally shared somewhere in this thread on the Chucklefish forums, but I don't have time to go through and find it (if it's even still there).
Ah, my apologies!! I've updated the post to include the proper link and creator, although it appears that the original creator's image is no longer available on that thread, sadly. Thank you for finding that link!

MeeShell

Greenhorn
Hmm I know it's an extra step but I am imagining putting grass down and then putting pathways on top of said grass, it would certainly help give the farm a certain look not having so much dirt showing.