My Sweet potatoes

Sounny

Rancher
How exciting! I need to do this as well. So far I've kept the Snapdragon flower I bought alive so maybe nows the time to move on to something edible :D
Lettuce, carrots, potatoes and lots of other things can soak in water and grow roots. Some things like lettuce don't need dirt at all. Give it a try. No risk, but very satisfying and rewarding.

Grimzy

Planter
Lettuce, carrots, potatoes and lots of other things can soak in water and grow roots. Some things like lettuce don't need dirt at all. Give it a try. No risk, but very satisfying and rewarding.
Hmm.. so I'm assuming it's best to chuck in a potato that has already started sprouting stuff into water? O: I'm going to try lettuce and potatoes!

Potatoes

Farmer
That's really cool. We have a lot of room right now for a garden but we're moving in August so we're trying to keep it small. It's mostly onions, chard, and some mint that come back from last year. And we planted some beets and peas. Hopefully your sweet potatoes turn out tasty!!

Sounny

Rancher
That's really cool. We have a lot of room right now for a garden but we're moving in August so we're trying to keep it small. It's mostly onions, chard, and some mint that come back from last year. And we planted some beets and peas. Hopefully your sweet potatoes turn out tasty!!
Sounds fantastic! Have you tried succulents? Or evening primroses? Practically grow themselves. I have a big project planned. I just love plants so much!

Anhaga

Rancher
I grew sweet potatoes a few years ago (when we lived in a rural area rather than in town)--the plants get really big if you put them in the ground! They're quite pretty as well.

I do live in a city now, but it's a small city where most of us have yards, and my family has a pretty substantial front and back yards that my husband and I are reclaiming from the grass. We're about to start our 3rd full summer here, and we've been gradually adding veggie, herb, and mixed veggie-flower-herb bed each year. We're up to 6 small veggie beds and 1 big one in the back yard, and have 2 herb beds, 1 veggie bed, and about 5 medium-small flower-herb beds in the front. The goal is to have everything either a garden bed or a mulched path, except for a grassy area where the kids' climbing dome is. I've been super-excited this year to get my plant starts and seeds in on time . . . I actually have enough corn coming up this year that I might not have to pollinate it by hand! That will be a first. We've been pulling chard, leeks, and radishes from the garden for about a month now; that has made it a lot easier to keep eating fresh veggies without having to go to the store too often.

And this is why my husband makes fun of me for playing Stardew . . . at least he giggles less when I play after spending an hour or so weeding my actual garden! :laugh:

Sounny

Rancher
I grew sweet potatoes a few years ago (when we lived in a rural area rather than in town)--the plants get really big if you put them in the ground! They're quite pretty as well.

I do live in a city now, but it's a small city where most of us have yards, and my family has a pretty substantial front and back yards that my husband and I are reclaiming from the grass. We're about to start our 3rd full summer here, and we've been gradually adding veggie, herb, and mixed veggie-flower-herb bed each year. We're up to 6 small veggie beds and 1 big one in the back yard, and have 2 herb beds, 1 veggie bed, and about 5 medium-small flower-herb beds in the front. The goal is to have everything either a garden bed or a mulched path, except for a grassy area where the kids' climbing dome is. I've been super-excited this year to get my plant starts and seeds in on time . . . I actually have enough corn coming up this year that I might not have to pollinate it by hand! That will be a first. We've been pulling chard, leeks, and radishes from the garden for about a month now; that has made it a lot easier to keep eating fresh veggies without having to go to the store too often.

And this is why my husband makes fun of me for playing Stardew . . . at least he giggles less when I play after spending an hour or so weeding my actual garden! :laugh:
That all sounds amazing! I've always loved growing things. I was 7 when I took the whole kernals of corn from my hamster's food and planted it. They did grow! I don't even like corn, I just like growing things.

Anhaga

Rancher
That all sounds amazing! I've always loved growing things. I was 7 when I took the whole kernals of corn from my hamster's food and planted it. They did grow! I don't even like corn, I just like growing things.
It's fun to watch them pop up out of the dirt. I've been doing this for years and I still get super-excited when things start to sprout--yesterday I was calling my husband over to LOOKLOOKLOOK! because I discovered that my yardlong beans had sprouted.

Potatoes

Farmer
We got some seed potatoes from our friend yesterday and planted them, I super excited about it.

It's fun to watch them pop up out of the dirt. I've been doing this for years and I still get super-excited when things start to sprout--yesterday I was calling my husband over to LOOKLOOKLOOK! because I discovered that my yardlong beans had sprouted.
I also love watching seedlings pop up, it's one of my favorite things. Our pea sprouts are really cute right now

yang00

Newcomer
I'm living in Georgia; the climate in this area has cold winters and warm summers. So the best time to start sweet potatoes is in May. Planting under the water usually takes about 6–8 weeks or more to generate slips. If I plant in outdoor soil, it will only take 4-6 weeks for the slips to show.