my farm is a lot different now with a new game

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
i started stardew valley maybe five years ago. finally got playing regularly and decided i wanted to start a new game without make so many mistakes starting. the new layout for the farm is interesting. i like it but it is not a square with plain sides. it has growth in three sides and upper right has a place that grandfather will come in three years. the world outside the farm is the same as before. just the farm is different. did i choose something differently when i started the game? i want to build a coop now but dont know where to put it. there are three lakes that replaced the one lake i had on the first farm...

Jayamos

Farmer
Sounds like the forest farm. You can get coop placement ideas by going to the Valley Showcase forum and clicking on the Forest Farm tag you’ll see on some threads.

nicodeux

Farmer
Definitely looks like the Forest Farm that was introduced in update 1.1 along with other maps. It seems that you really did not play for a while!
There are now different farm maps that are available when starting a new game, each with its own unique features. More on farm maps here.

The Forest Farm is probably my favourite one, though it has less tillable tiles than any other map.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
thats what i see about the tiles. i wondered how to till those grass tiles.
whoopee. i am on day 7 of spring 2. i just got the greenhouse. i bought the coop to get an egg but i got a duck egg from the traveling lady today. now i have to use it wisely. Pierre only sells seeds by the season so i need to buy pumpkins for all year? and hops yield every other day or so so i can use them. any suggestions?? do fruit trees continually yield like apples? interesting. i used to play farming simulator and then minecraft and this game is better than both.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
thats what i see about the tiles. i wondered how to till those grass tiles.
whoopee. i am on day 7 of spring 2. i just got the greenhouse. i bought the coop to get an egg but i got a duck egg from the traveling lady today. now i have to use it wisely. Pierre only sells seeds by the season so i need to buy pumpkins for all year? and hops yield every other day or so so i can use them. any suggestions?? do fruit trees continually yield like apples? interesting. i used to play farming simulator and then minecraft and this game is better than both.
Fruit trees yield year round in the greenhouse.

The min-maxxers will tell you what they prefer in great detail (Hops, ancient fruit, starfruit), but honestly, I can say, pick the crops you like; there are few crops with no worth to them and you've probably figured out what you like. Pumpkins are definitely high value but also just fun.

imnvs

Local Legend
Anything and everything grows year round in the greenhouse.

Hops is a serious money-maker, but it takes a lot of work harvesting every day. Ancient Fruit is still quite profitable and much less work after it's started up.

Fruit trees are wonderful, but don't fill up on fruit trees yet, because you'll get access to two more after you complete the CC and make it to Ginger island.

Also, once you get to Ginger Island, you will eventually get the possibility to buy seeds all year round from Pierre... but note that out of season seeds cost more. Otherwise, if you wanna grow pumpkins, you will indeed have to buy for the full year during the fall.

chaskuchar

Sodbuster
i find out that it takes a lot of time to water and pick. i have the greenhouse for one month now and planted thirty strawberries. they are yielding twice now and just went into summer. it was cool when i got the giant cauliflower. i have two selfwater units. i will move them into the greenhouse because i think it might be practical. this map has lots of mushrooms. and i planted some mahogany seeds and one of them is a tree now. have to learn what to do with it. thanks for the advice and help. merry christmas and happy new year.

imnvs

Local Legend
i will move them into the greenhouse because i think it might be practical.
That is very practical. When you unlock the sewers (Rusty Key from the Museum) and have enough spare cash, you can get iridium sprinklers from Krobus to even more efficiently water you stuff.
and i planted some mahogany seeds and one of them is a tree now. have to learn what to do with it.
Mahogany, when cut down, yield hardwood. You plant them just to cut them down later.