Morel Moroseness

mayaknife

Greenhorn
For two in-game years now I've visited the Secret Forest at least twice a week and harvested all of the foragables that I could find there. I haven't found a single morel. Am I just unlucky or is there something I need to do to get them to appear?

Basic check list. You are visiting in spring right?. I would boost that to going every day then. They should spawn. Nothing would stop them short of a rng failure. Honestly these are the reason I choose the mushroom cave

Morels only grow in the Spring in the Secret Forest. You can also (rarely) get them if you choose Mushrooms over Bats in the Farm Cave. You can also find them randomly on your farm if you pick the Forest Farm.

However, unless you are being a completionist, there's not much reason for them. There are other options for the Exotic Foraging Bundle if you can't find one.

Are you also checking the extra secret area with the two additional stumps? Something that can happen if you aren't checking the entire area is that there is a cap on how many foragables can exist on a given map, so they can clump up in an area you aren't checking, making it appear as though they don't exist until they despawn at the end of the week.

Elenna101

Farmer
Also do you have access to ginger island as there as a possible spawn in a certain area
Pretty sure they don't spawn in the area you're thinking of (my first perfection completion was delayed until spring because I forgot to get two morels, and I checked in the area on Ginger Island but it didn't seem to have any).

mayaknife

Greenhorn
Basic check list. You are visiting in spring right?
Ah. Despite having almost 2,000h in the game I hadn't realized/remembered that they only show up in Spring. I'm currently in Winter so I won't have too long to wait. In the meantime I'll keep hitting the travelling merchant to see if I get lucky.

imnvs

Local Legend
Okay, iirc, morels do NOT spawn in the cave on Ginger Island, just to clarify. You can find common, red, purple and chanterelle mushrooms there, but not morels.

LoveElliotsHair

Sodbuster
Egads...the morels are only spring in the secret woods. I'd go every day. It was my albatross to completion because I hadn't crafted the life elixir so I had to wait another year to get another one! Such a pain. Grab all you can find when you find them!

In my new file, I'm doing the chair over the log trick so I can go immediately and get them first year since I can't upgrade my axe fast enough.

GDawney

Sodbuster
Egads...the morels are only spring in the secret woods. I'd go every day. It was my albatross to completion because I hadn't crafted the life elixir so I had to wait another year to get another one! Such a pain. Grab all you can find when you find them!

In my new file, I'm doing the chair over the log trick so I can go immediately and get them first year since I can't upgrade my axe fast enough.
What is this, now? What is this trick and how do I accomplish it?

imnvs

Local Legend
What is this, now? What is this trick and how do I accomplish it?
It is possible to place a chair right beside the log so that after sitting on it (available in 1.5.x) you can then hop off (into/onto the log?) and basically walk through the log and into the Secret Woods. It is an exploit, and some may call it cheating.

Elenna101

Farmer
It is possible to place a chair right beside the log so that after sitting on it (available in 1.5.x) you can then hop off (into/onto the log?) and basically walk through the log and into the Secret Woods. It is an exploit, and some may call it cheating.
You don't go into the log - basically if you stand right underneath the log, you can place a chair on the tile northwest of you, so that it's on the other side of the log but still adjacent to you. Then you can sit in the chair (since it's adjacent to you), and then you can get out on the other side of the chair, having bypassed the log.
Here's a video: https://www.reddit.com/r/StardewValley/comments/l5vgiz/you_can_get_into_the_secret_woods_early/

Definitely an exploit, yeah, but it's a single-player game and you get to define what the rules are. (Well, unless it's multiplayer, in which case you and your farmhands get to decide what the rules are, I guess.)

Amusing side note: In single-player, time pauses for the animation of getting in or out of a chair. If you have a bunch of chairs lined up two spaces apart from one spot to another, you can move between them just by getting in and out of the chairs. If you do it right, this actually takes up less in-game time than running between them, because of the pausing.