More Racial Diversity

No, it is NOT a demand for change because of suffering in real life. It's a request for change because it's the right thing to do.
The "right thing" for more equality is demanding equality in real life. As I said I can't see how representation in a game should help thereby.
But as mentioned already above: we can agree to disagree and I am fine with this.

The suffering in real life? That you don't experience that suffering is why you don't understand why it is so personal to others.
Please again: don't judge people you don't know. You have your experiences, I have mine - fine so far. But you don't know me and even more you don't know my experiences!

Odin

Staff member
The "right thing" for more equality is demanding equality in real life. As I said I can't see how representation in a game should help thereby.
It's worth stating that this thread is about the diversity of NPCs in Stardew Valley. If you're interested in having a broader discussion about representation in media, or equality in the real world, that can be discussed in another thread.

Leavo

Planter
But as mentioned already above: we can agree to disagree and I am fine with this.

Please again: don't judge people you don't know. You have your experiences, I have mine - fine so far. But you don't know me and even more you don't know my experiences!
Again, being white and male, for those who are, doesn't mean you haven't had a hard life, just that your race and gender didn't make it harder. It mystifies me that that's even hard for some people to hear.

In any case, am totally on board with OPs suggestion!

liquidcat

Staff member
Hey guys, as it seems like all active participants has given their opinion on this topic, I would like to ask people to take a step back from this thread as it seems like the discussion is going around in circles and everyone has agreed to disagree. I would like to encourage new participants to give their opinions regarding the topic as well.

We understand this is a sensitive topic for many people, and so we ask everyone to avoid derailing this thread topic. We generally don't lock discussion thread as we believe locking them defeats the purpose of such forums but we would be forced to lock this thread if it was derailed further and we would like to avoid doing that. We hope everyone understands!

Anhaga

Rancher
OP, have you tried the Diverse Stardew Valley mod? I really love that one because it gives the player choices. The character's personalities don't change, just their portraits, and I play with it on all the time because it creates a world that's much more comfortable to me. It would be seriously cool to be able to implement that sort of choice in the game itself. This, to me, isn't about some abstract idea of diversity, but more about giving players options that lets them feel like they can be a part of the world, something which doesn't happen if you don't see NPCs that look like you. Being able to make your own character resemble yourself only goes so far.

Dr. eeL

Farmer
It would be nice to have more diversity in SDV(unmodded). Demetrius and Maru are the only POC in Pelican Town. And outside of town the only other npc I can think of is the desert trader. That's 3 out of almost 50 npcs in the game... which is a little disappointing seeing as though SDV is set in a make believe world.

SDV is played all over, translated into multiple languages, and I would love to see more diversity in the future!

*edit* No, I'm not asking for existing characters to change:wchicken:
If you eat a hamburger at the Grange event, you can talk to a visiting POC.