More Options for the "Marriage" Stardrop (Contains 1.5 Spoilers)

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Warning: This thread contains some spoilers pertaining to the 100% completion that was introduced in 1.5, so proceed with caution!

So, in order to get 100% completion, you need to find all of the stardrops. However, in order to get one of these stardrops, you have to either marry someone or move Krobus in. It's fully possible to still get 100% completion without being married to someone or having Krobus as a roommate, and Lewis is the one who talks to the farmer in this variant of the cutscene, but this requires to player to divorce or kick out whoever was in their house, and I don't think many people would want to do this for the sake of 100% completion. Some players don't want to marry, and there are a few reasons I've seen for this. I'll address each of them.

1. None of the Bachelors or Bachelorettes Appeal to Them.
As such, maybe some existing NPCs could be made into marriage candidates? Here are some existing NPCs that I think could work as marriage candidates:

Sandy
Sandy is definitely the most requested marriage candidate by far, I think. And that's certainly not without reason. In fact, I do believe that she was second place under Emily in the bachelorette poll for the update that made Shane and Emily marriage candidates. As for her shop, the introduction of Krobus as a roommate in 1.4 proves that this kind of thing can work with NPCs who run shops. Basically, once he's moved in, a chest replaces his usual spot in the sewer, and you can buy his usual stock from this chest. Maybe that same thing could be done with Sandy?

Clint
We have one side of this little plot available as a marriage candidate in the form of Emily, so why not do the same with Clint? I think it'd be really interesting to see how this plays out, and it'd probably give Clint some much-needed character development.

Gus
One point that I've seen brought up is that older players wish there were older marriage candidates for them to choose from, aside from just Harvey, Elliott, and Shane. One NPC that I think could fill those shoes is Gus. Come on, he can cook and play the violin! And, to my knowledge, he doesn't seem to be spoken for.

The Dwarf
I've already gone on about this in great detail in another thread of mine, so I won't bore you with all the details again. However, I do know that the Dwarf as a marriage candidate probably isn't fully out of the question. I say this because there was a little pre-poll to the bachelor and bachelorette poll that would end up making Shane and Emily marriage candidates, and the Dwarf was on this poll. Granted, they didn't get many votes (more than likely because of certain other characters in the poll), but Krobus didn't do much better, and look what eventually became of him. If not a marriage candidate, then they can easily at least be a roommate option, like with Krobus.

Maybes
NPCs mentioned here are up in the air, namely because it's uncertain whether they'd actually go for it or not. These include Rasmodius (who also did really well in that poll, but lost to Shane), Pam, and Willy. While they could also be some older marriage candidates, marriage may or may not be for them. Despite being single, I'm not sure if Pam would be up for it or not, especially if her house has been built. Not to mention, instances of her calling the farmer "kid" would probably have to be altered or removed if she were to be made a marriage candidate. As for Rasmodius, I'm just not entirely sure if he's really the type for marriage or not. Similarly with Willy, I also get a bit of a happily single vibe from him, but who knows?

Probably Nots
I don't think any NPC who is already in a relationship should be a potential marriage candidate. To me, this doesn't fit in with the overall spirit of the game, because it would inevitably involve breaking up relationships, which would have to lead to some animosity. There's also Linus who, given the heart scene that was added in 1.3, more than likely would not be open to the idea of marriage. It's also unlikely that Krobus will ever become a marriage candidate, seeing as he has an established platonic 14-heart event and everything. Now, moving on...

2. They Just Don't Want to Get Married.
And that's totally fair! Marriage isn't for everyone, after all. As such, I propose some potential alternate ways to get the "marriage" stardrop:

Single Adoption
Let's say you want kids, but you don't want to get married. I think you should be able to do that, seeing as adopting as a single person is a thing you can do in real life. As long as you have a children's room with a crib, you can file adoption papers at Lewis' place for a fee. You don't even have to be living alone to do this. It's also allowed if you have a roommate. If you don't have a roommate and have never received the "marriage" stardrop, then you'll receive this stardrop from your child once you have enough hearts with them. How did they get it? There's no telling.

The Bachelor Life
And what if you don't want kids either? Well, as a nod to the "bachelor" version of the 100% completion cutscene, maybe Lewis could give this stardrop to the farmer after a certain amount of time has passed without the farmer being married, having a roommate, or having any kids? Other criteria aside from time passage might also need to be met in order for this stardrop to be received.

So, what do you think? Any suggestions?

Last edited:

ISSsloth

Farmer
Maybe as another advanced setting you could have an older farmer? It would change the marriage candidates and change how some of the other NPC interact with you. (Pam wouldn't call you kid.)

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
Maybe as another advanced setting you could have an older farmer? It would change the marriage candidates and change how some of the other NPC interact with you. (Pam wouldn't call you kid.)
Ohhh, that's an interesting idea! Maybe Gus, Pam, Rasmodius, and Willy could be marriage candidates if this advanced setting was chosen? Gunther and Marlon would also be interesting if they were ever to be made into giftable NPCs someday. I don't mention Mr. Qi because, given everything he's preoccupied with, it'd probably be too difficult to make him a marriage candidate, but he might still be able to at least work as a giftable NPC. An option like this would require the rewriting of a good few heart scenes and dialogue, though. Namely the ones which would lead to the younger marriage candidates flirting with the older farmer.

Last edited:

Regnard

Newcomer
The Bachelor Life
And what if you don't want kids either? Well, as a nod to the "bachelor" version of the 100% completion cutscene, maybe Lewis could give this stardrop to the farmer after a certain amount of time has passed without the farmer being married, having a roommate, or having any kids? Other criteria aside from time passage might also need to be met in order for this stardrop to be received.
As an idea:
What about unlocking the possibility to join a "happily single" club after reaching 8 hearts with all possible marriage candidates? The requirement of 8 hearts with all possible candidates would make sure that this option can not be used as a shortcut to get the stardrop. Maybe Linus or Gunther could offer the player to join the club and send the stardrop as a welcome gift?
It would be really great to have the option to stay single and the choice of not adopting. :smile:

Lemon_Stone

Rancher
As an idea:
What about unlocking the possibility to join a "happily single" club after reaching 8 hearts with all possible marriage candidates? The requirement of 8 hearts with all possible candidates would make sure that this option can not be used as a shortcut to get the stardrop. Maybe Linus or Gunther could offer the player to join the club and send the stardrop as a welcome gift?
It would be really great to have the option to stay single and the choice of not adopting. :smile:
I think that's a wonderful idea! It would definitely prevent getting the stardrop through staying single from being too easy.

imnvs

Local Legend
I do believe that this thread is relevant to what is being discussed here: Research poll: Which non-marriageable singles would the forum population most like to see available for marriage?

Perhaps that thread can be resurrected and people that have not voted there can vote there? The more people vote, the more accurate the poll will be, I think. 😉
As an idea:
I think that's a wonderful idea! It would definitely prevent getting the stardrop through staying single from being too easy.
I can't say I'm a fan of the name of the achievement as presented, though I like the concept. Also I had a thought... because I'm not sure I like the idea of it being a "club" for some reason. Might I suggest, as a possibility, it being something else that comes directly from Grandpa's ghost? He could bless the farmer for not interfering in the destinies/relationships of those in town while still integrating into the town and becoming a vital, happy member of society?

I might also suggest that you must not only get literally all marriageable candidates to max hearts. That's not a large group of people and not all that hard. Sure, you can't do it nearly as quick as @BlaDe married Haley (still proud of my contribution to how he pulled it off, and if anyone wants to read the story as it unfolded, link: Getting Married Spring 17 Year 1. Have I missed a friendship source?), but it's not that hard. Maybe it could be something like "all residents of Pelican Town" (and by this I mean the characters that are required for the introductions quest)? That way it takes a bit of work, but not too much, just attention to detail and the calendar (birthdays). Also, by doing it that way, you're not being forced to also complete the CC and get all the dwarf scrolls and get to the desert... but you still have to actually integrate yourself into the town. You have to be a happy, friendly member of Pelican Town's population without excluding anyone (again, of course, except the ones that would make this difficult in their own ways).

Last edited:

Lemon_Stone

Rancher