Mods in co-op?

IntoxicHeart

Planter
- How exactly does it work with using mods in co-op?

- Does everyone need to have the same mods, or does only the host? (ie: SVE, would only the host need to have it and it would show up for everyone in the host’s game, or does each player need to have it … or another ie: aesthetic mods, such as Elle’s seasonal buildings and animals)

- For the non-host players, if they have mods that the host doesn’t have, will the mods still show up in-game for those players, or?

- Do things vary from mod-to-mod when it comes to co-op?

Odin

Staff member
It really depends on the mod, so yes to your last question. When someone hosts a multiplayer game, it doesn't "share" any information with other people beyond how that particular save of Stardew is set up. So if a mod is just changing visuals for you, no one else needs to install it, but they won't see the visual mod themselves. This does mean people can use different visual mods even when it multiplayer though.

For something like SVE, everyone will need to install it because it makes so many changes to the game. Everyone will need to have SVE because the base game wouldn't be able to display things like custom NPCs.
- For the non-host players, if they have mods that the host doesn’t have, will the mods still show up in-game for those players, or?
Again it depends. Very often on Nexus, mods will mention if everyone needs to install them for multiplayer.

IntoxicHeart

Planter
It really depends on the mod, so yes to your last question. When someone hosts a multiplayer game, it doesn't "share" any information with other people beyond how that particular save of Stardew is set up. So if a mod is just changing visuals for you, no one else needs to install it, but they won't see the visual mod themselves. This does mean people can use different visual mods even when it multiplayer though.

For something like SVE, everyone will need to install it because it makes so many changes to the game. Everyone will need to have SVE because the base game wouldn't be able to display things like custom NPCs.

Again it depends. Very often on Nexus, mods will mention if everyone needs to install them for multiplayer.
Thank you very much for clarifying ^^

elena

Greenhorn

hello, my friend cant join my farm, i have mods and he doesnt.. his whole game crashes when he tries joining my fame, any idea why?

ALSO MY OLD FARM IS GONE I CANT LOAD IT,details>>>
Hello, i cant load my farm, everytime i try it sends me back to main screen and i get this error on sampi >>>

SMAPI log parser - SMAPI.io

before this loading prob i had these probs >
i also wasntable to see my trashcan "the one on the right of inventory box" Also wasnt able to see teh numbers of items i have in my invenotry and every time i tried to go to ginger island i get stuck in the loading screen forever

Odin

Staff member
hello, my friend cant join my farm, i have mods and he doesnt.. his whole game crashes when he tries joining my fame, any idea why?
It's possible one of your mods will need to be installed by him in order for him to play on your farm. The first thing to try would be to have him install SMAPI (https://smapi.io/). If his game continues to crash trying to connect with SMAPI, you'll want to look through the mods you have and see if they require all players to install them for multiplayer. Often times the Nexus page for the mod will mention this.

ALSO MY OLD FARM IS GONE I CANT LOAD IT,details>>>
You can try following the steps on the wiki to recover that save: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Saves#Save_disappeared_or_doesn.27t_load

Hello, i cant load my farm, everytime i try it sends me back to main screen and i get this error on sampi >>>

SMAPI log parser - SMAPI.io
I realize my reply is a bit late, but if you're still having this issue I would start by updating all of the mods that you can (you can see the list of available updates at the top of the log.