Question Mods and Game Updates

ArtifactSpot

Why do mods, save editors, etc cease to work when a new update occurs? Is it cause the mod, save editor, etc no does not update their compatibility to the new version or because CA does not approve of those particular mods and such? I just don’t know much in this department. I know some of the mods and such make it much easier to complete the game so is that why? I’m considering getting pc version if I get a new laptop someday and would love to try some mods but don’t want to go against CA’s wishes for more fair play or whatever.

Odin

Staff member
The main reason is simply that an update to the game changes how the game works, and this can mess up some mods. For example, we know that 1.6 will add winter outfits for villagers. There are a number of "seasonal outfit" mods, which will almost certainly need to be updated, since 1.6 makes a change to that area of the game. An update to the game can also change things that players never see, but do affect how mods work.

The 1.6 update actually began as update specifically to made modding easier, before expanding to add more to the game. ConcernedApe has put in a lot of work over the years to made Stardew Valley a great game for modding, so if you do end up getting a laptop and want to try mods, you definitely should!