Question Modding inquiries (new inquiry - July 24)

IntoxicHeart

Planter
Decided to just go ahead and have this be a thread for all my modding inquiries, instead of posting multiple threads for different inquiries. ^^

New Inquiry —July 24;;
I’m potentially blind, but I can’t seem to find the answer on the wiki or the GitHub resources on creating mods -
Is it possible to set specific dates with a heart level added?

ie:
Will I will be able to make this -
"spring_14": "Text",

into this -
"spring10_14": "Text",
?

I’m thinking it should be possible. But, I could be wrong and it is not possible to set specific dates with a heart level added? —I’m hoping to be able to make it where a romanceable npc dialogue changes on specific dates after Farmer starts dating said romanceable npc (I know I can already do it for season days of the week, but don’t know if I can for specific dates).

New Inquiry —July 21;;
What program, in your opinion, is the ‘easiest’ for creating/making NPC and farmer sprites?
And also, what about NPC portraits? ((I know there are various programs, but I’m still uncertain which is the better option, so I’m hoping for some personal opinions and experiences from others with programs))

I have PhotoshopCS6 that I do artwork on as a whole, but I don’t know if that would be the ‘best’/‘better’ option for creating the sprites (and/or portraits). Please and thank you let me know. ^^ Cheers.

Prior inquiries that were answered;; —keeping them here, so that I can return and look at them so as to not forget/have a ‘resource’ to return to if need be.

First inquiry that was answered -
I’ve started to work on the events portion of my mod, and I have a pretty good grasp now of how the coding works (which, I’m creating new events, as well as overhauling dialogue for some vanilla events). However, I am stuck on a few things.

- I know you can set the requirements to be for specific weather, season, day of the week, required friendship points, as well as only year 1. However, I cannot seem to locate information on whether or not you can set a requirement for it to be on a very specific date. I’m guessing that’s not possible? But, I’m not certain and am somehow just overlooking it.

- Concerning x, y coordinates … how do I find the coordinates for each of the maps? I have been attempting to Google search for some sheet template (or the like) that shows the numbers for the coordinates, but no luck. (I’m needing this for where the NPC’s/farmer will be standing in the map during the event cutscene, and from there I will be able to input where they move — I already know how to input for them to walk the number of spaces in whichever direction I want them to walk)

- Is there somehow I can find the vanilla heart events? I’m overhauling dialogue for some of the heart events, and I know I have to include the entire event coding in my file. I have a feeling I’m actually going to have to go into the hard game file itself to find and copy it, but I’m wanting to avoid that since I’m worried about somehow mucking up the game itself, with unintentional tampering of the game file whilst searching. If the only way is through the hard game file, then where exactly would I look?

Notes - I have been using the Modding information on the Stardew Valley wiki as a guide, which has helped immensely, but I’ve hit the above mentioned dead ends. ^^;;
Also, this is the first time I’m creating mods, let alone ones that contain events, so I’m learning as I go with this … and currently on the extreme novice side.

Appreciate any feedback, either in this thread, via message, or Discord.

Cheers and happy gaming!

Last edited:

TildenJack

Tiller
I know you can set the requirements to be for specific weather, season, day of the week, required friendship points, as well as only year 1. However, I cannot seem to locate information on whether or not you can set a requirement for it to be on a very specific date.
You could try using a when condition that checks for the day and the season.
So something like

"When":
{
"Season": "Winter",
"Day": "11",
},

Or you can define the date as a dynamic token, like SVE does with

{
"Name": "Date",
"Value": "{{Season}} {{Day}}"
},

in which case your when condition would be

"When": { "Date": "Winter 11" },

Concerning x, y coordinates … how do I find the coordinates for each of the maps?
You can open the original maps with Tiled, after going into Settings -> Plugins and activating the tbin plugin.
But you first have to extract the maps themselves, which requires that you unpack the .xnb files. And that's also how you can get the vanilla events, which would be under Data -> Events.
Use the StardewXnbHack method to extract everything at once. That way you'll also have the tilesheets, which Tiled requires to even show you any of the maps.

IntoxicHeart

Planter
You could try using a when condition that checks for the day and the season.
So something like

"When":
{
"Season": "Winter",
"Day": "11",
},

Or you can define the date as a dynamic token, like SVE does with

{
"Name": "Date",
"Value": "{{Season}} {{Day}}"
},

in which case your when condition would be

"When": { "Date": "Winter 11" },

You can open the original maps with Tiled, after going into Settings -> Plugins and activating the tbin plugin.
But you first have to extract the maps themselves, which requires that you unpack the .xnb files. And that's also how you can get the vanilla events, which would be under Data -> Events.
Use the StardewXnbHack method to extract everything at once. That way you'll also have the tilesheets, which Tiled requires to even show you any of the maps.
Thank you very much! This has been extremely helpful. I greatly appreciate this.

To confirm something, I will still be able to have the requirement with a specific weather condition in addition to the specific date, yeah? Just want to double check this in case I’m mistaken. ^^;

TildenJack

Tiller
To confirm something, I will still be able to have the requirement with a specific weather condition in addition to the specific date, yeah?
All the original conditions would still apply, as the when condition wouldn't be part of the event code. Although combining strict conditions with a very specific day condition would of course make it more likely to miss the event. Although, now that I think about it, you would only activate the event on that specific day, but it would then stay active, so I don't think the condition would work a second time unless you make a second version of the event with impossible conditions that activates outside of that time frame.

IntoxicHeart

Planter
All the original conditions would still apply, as the when condition wouldn't be part of the event code. Although combining strict conditions with a very specific day condition would of course make it more likely to miss the event. Although, now that I think about it, you would only activate the event on that specific day, but it would then stay active, so I don't think the condition would work a second time unless you make a second version of the event with impossible conditions that activates outside of that time frame.
Thank you very much. I really appreciate this and your patience in explaining this to me. I was wanting the event to occur on a specific sunny summer day at the beach, because I wanted it to occur after a certain point.

I just thought of a way to make that occur, which I believe is possible? I know you can have a set requirement that a certain event cutscene must be first seen before another certain event cutscene can occur. On the off chance, you know if that works with festivals too? Where it would be that in order for the event cutscene to occur, first the Luau festival must’ve taken place?

Because I know I can ensure it being sunny by having it being set where Alex must be at the beach (which only occurs on sunny days during the summer, and that’s also within the time of day I’m wanting the event cutscene to occur). By doing that, it would bring down the amount of requirements needed to being x-amount of friendship points with the Alex and Sam, after Luau festival (if this is possible to be able to have a festival as a requirement?), and Alex being at the beach.

(I tried searching about the festival portion being able to be a requirement on the wiki, but no luck. It’s probably there and I’m just blind and potentially overlooking it.)

TildenJack

Tiller
The only festival condition I can see in the condition guide is DayEvent, which checks if a specific festival is happening right now.
So you could activate your event when the heart conditions are fulfilled on that specific day.
But if you want to make absolutely sure that the player actually shows up, you could try to send a letter when the conditions are fulfilled instead, if that isn't too immersion breaking.
You'd just have to make a farm event with "<EventID>/ x <letter ID>": "null", which will cause the player to receive the latter the day after.

IntoxicHeart

Planter
The only festival condition I can see in the condition guide is DayEvent, which checks if a specific festival is happening right now.
So you could activate your event when the heart conditions are fulfilled on that specific day.
But if you want to make absolutely sure that the player actually shows up, you could try to send a letter when the conditions are fulfilled instead, if that isn't too immersion breaking.
You'd just have to make a farm event with "<EventID>/ x <letter ID>": "null", which will cause the player to receive the latter the day after.
Thank you so very much. You’ve helped me out quite a bit. Now, I’m also using the guide on GitHub in addition to the SV mod wiki pages (which originally I was only using the wiki, and not GitHub, but after your links, I’m now using both). ^^ This has all been very insightful. I greatly appreciate all of this.