Mod for screen reader accessibility

Glenn1212

Greenhorn
Hello to all,
My name is Darrell Bowles, and I am a totally blind VIdeo gamer. My Girl Friend is visually impaired and both of us play stardew Valley. The developer has done a great job with chracter storylines, and concepts, but there are somee things for me that make it particularly impossible for me to play the game.
1. There is no screen reader support. A screen reader is a program that converts the visuals on a computer screen to synthesized speech. I understand that this may be next to impossible for the developer to do on a console, but I know that lots of mods exist on the PC game. For other games such as harthstone, mods have been made to allow screen reader access to it. WHen I'm reading text whether it is from the menus outside the game, my inventory, letters from the mail, or what the villagers are saying, I am unable to read it.
2. Audio Cues for moving around, knowing when you ahve fround a desired object such as a tree, or the river, and the mini game for fishing. It is not possible for me to locate places or objects without audiocues. ALso the fact that the game is time based makes it that much harder.
3. knowing what is in your inventory is important for a multitude of reasons, and this is not possible either. My self, my girl friend and a dear friend of ours play this game on Sundays. They actually have to gude me around to places for me to do things like fishing, which I'm terrible at, not because I don't understand the concept, but because as a totally blind player, I have no way of knowing where the bar is at any given time, except when the controler vibrates to tell me that it is lined up.
If there is anyone who would be intrested in modding the PC version for screen reader accessibility, please reach out.

mouse

Farmer
Hmm, there's a text to speech mod called Pelican TTS, which should still work. It won't cover all your use cases, but it might help with the lack of screen reader support. It may also read the names of inventory items selected/hovered over, but it's been awhile since I've used it. (It didn't work well for me when I tested it with the beta recently, but I am not sure if it is related to my operating system, and had intended to re-test it.)

There's nothing that I can think of that would help in navigating around the maps, but that would be a cool project. Sound (or new sounds anyway) can be kind of difficult to work with in modding, still, but you're not the first blind or visually impaired players (or modders!) we've had, so it would be awesome for the game to become more accessible. I'll add "tons of audio cues" to the mod-suggestions repository when I get back in the morning, if someone else hasn't made the wish already. If nothing else, it will be there for someone to read if they are ever looking for ideas.

For fishing specifically, I wonder if just replacing the mini-game might be simplest? There are a couple mods that just eliminate it entirely (for instant-catching), but Fishing Minigames has an alternative game you can play instead, as well as another author's version that just summons fish periodically as you stand by the water, haha. Maybe the author could think of a way to make theirs play with only audio cues? I'll direct them to this thread just in case.

(I said earlier that sound was kind of difficult to work with, but now I'm actually wondering if we could just skip sound altogether and make the mod for the text-to-speech mod. Just opting to display text whenever some cue is needed, and then letting the mod read what the text says, might be way simpler. It's a thought anyway, hopefully it can go somewhere!)

Last edited:

Glenn1212

Greenhorn
This is a good start!

Unfortunately, I can't get the game on steam to test any of these mods. Finances are um, broken.
Where audio Cues would be very helpful is when for example: you are approaching a building such as a store, or a particular shop. TTS would be needed for reading as I mentioned earlier, on-screen text such as letters, and what NPCs are saying. Those cut scenes are important!
When I can though I will give it a try. The other big thing is menu navigation as I also mentioned earlier. Please do point the developer here. I have been trying to find a way to reach him as a blind player and it would be wonderful to get him on board with this!
Thanks again for your help and suggestions!
Darrell

Shoaib6996

Farmhand
Okay so, I'm currently developing an accessibility mod for Stardew Valley, would really like your feedback and suggestions although it is still in very beta stage, like i just started yesterday but this is a great time for you to suggest me some features and stuff. And yeah, I've added nvda, jaws and sapi support, maybe I'll add TTS for Linux and Mac OS cuz i don't know if I'll be able to add screen reader support for that.

Glenn1212

Greenhorn
Hello,
I will be happy to test the mod for you! Problem is I don't have the game at this point! WOuld love to test it!
WHat works, and what doesn't?
THanks,
Darrell

Glenn1212

Greenhorn
Okay so, I'm currently developing an accessibility mod for Stardew Valley, would really like your feedback and suggestions although it is still in very beta stage, like i just started yesterday but this is a great time for you to suggest me some features and stuff. And yeah, I've added nvda, jaws and sapi support, maybe I'll add TTS for Linux and Mac OS cuz i don't know if I'll be able to add screen reader support for that.
Also, Audio cues to know where you are on the farm, the places in town, and when you are approaching a character. Of course the person

Shoaib6996

Farmhand
Also, Audio cues to know where you are on the farm, the places in town, and when you are approaching a character. Of course the person
Yeah, I'll try to add audio cues to players, doors and other interact-able thing. Currently I've managed to add a button that narrates the health and stamina via the screen reader ofcourse and I'll be trying to add narration of dialogues and other stuff next.

If you want, you can join my discord, there we will be able to talk easily.
Here's the link :-

Shoaib6996

Farmhand
Hello to all,
My name is Darrell Bowles, and I am a totally blind VIdeo gamer. My Girl Friend is visually impaired and both of us play stardew Valley. The developer has done a great job with chracter storylines, and concepts, but there are somee things for me that make it particularly impossible for me to play the game.
1. There is no screen reader support. A screen reader is a program that converts the visuals on a computer screen to synthesized speech. I understand that this may be next to impossible for the developer to do on a console, but I know that lots of mods exist on the PC game. For other games such as harthstone, mods have been made to allow screen reader access to it. WHen I'm reading text whether it is from the menus outside the game, my inventory, letters from the mail, or what the villagers are saying, I am unable to read it.
2. Audio Cues for moving around, knowing when you ahve fround a desired object such as a tree, or the river, and the mini game for fishing. It is not possible for me to locate places or objects without audiocues. ALso the fact that the game is time based makes it that much harder.
3. knowing what is in your inventory is important for a multitude of reasons, and this is not possible either. My self, my girl friend and a dear friend of ours play this game on Sundays. They actually have to gude me around to places for me to do things like fishing, which I'm terrible at, not because I don't understand the concept, but because as a totally blind player, I have no way of knowing where the bar is at any given time, except when the controler vibrates to tell me that it is lined up.
If there is anyone who would be intrested in modding the PC version for screen reader accessibility, please reach out.
Hey,
So I've released a beta version of the mod, i thought that getting feedback while developing would be better. So whenever you get the time, you can test and give feedback I'll definitely add your or anyone's suggestions of possible.
Here's the link - Stardew Access.