Messages at bottom left of screen on iPad

BluefinJelly

Greenhorn
Hi - I was wondering if a message shows up on the bottom left of my screen on my iPad and I miss it, is there a way to see them again or read them somewhere? Sometimes I'm in the middle of something on the screen and I see the message but when I go to look down it disappears. :(

Thank you everyone!

-Blue

Hill Myna

Farmer
Hi Blue!

Most of the time, the messages will say something like "+ X Energy" or "+ X Health" if you've just eaten, or "21 Wood" "5 Sap" if you've just chopped down a tree. Which often isn't necessary information, because you can see that you've just eaten, or chopped down a tree!

But occasionally, it will be something that you should take notice of. Such as (from Summer onwards) "A train is passing through Stardew Valley..." which can be useful information, although you'll also hear a loud "CHOO!", so you already know what's up just by listening.

There is also a message to say that the festival has begun, and it'll tell you where to go. But if you're good at remembering your mail, that's not vital.

The rest of the messages that I can think of all happen when you first wake up. These are messages that you should pay attention to. Some examples: "Your Apple Sapling was not able to grow last night", indicating that you should remove all the weeds/paths/machines near you sapling. "Your Copper Pickaxe is ready", nudging you in the direction of Clint.

If a rare event plays during the night, you'll get a notice for that, too. These are all coupled with a sound effect, though, so you probably won't miss it.

Very, very late in the game there are a few special messages that appear in a sequence, and while they're not necessary to gameplay, they are quite fun.

Hope this helps!

Lew Zealand

Helper
Very, very late in the game there are a few special messages that appear in a sequence, and while they're not necessary to gameplay, they are quite fun.
If you're thinking of what I'm thinking of, they also don't exist on iPad yet.
This is awesome, I have no idea what you're all talking about but now I'm looking forward to a... something happening!

BluefinJelly

Greenhorn
Thank you so much for such a great and detailed explanation. I really appreciate it. I normally don't play with sound so not bother anyone in the house but I guess I now need to start wearing headphones so I can hear all the details and sounds of the game. :)
-Blue

Lew Zealand

Helper
Thank you so much for such a great and detailed explanation. I really appreciate it. I normally don't play with sound so not bother anyone in the house but I guess I now need to start wearing headphones so I can hear all the details and sounds of the game. :)
-Blue
If you possibly can, play with headphones or some sound. When I'm playing on my computer, I usually leave the sound up a bit and other random human beings will wander in whilst grazing or looking for some sustenance that apparently only I have the life skills to provide, and they do compliment the game's sound design on many occasions. Most recently the incidental music in the Volcano.

You know all those wonderful and multifarious things that CA put in all the other aspects of the game to make it somehow an even greater whole than the already fabulous sum of its parts?

Just pour the music and sound design all over the top of that crazy-good dessert and enjoy it all the more!

Hill Myna

Farmer
-Blue
Oh, you must play Stardew with sound!

When you play without sound, your ears are missing out on the holiday of their life!

👂👂👂👂👂

And now that I think about it, it'll also tell you when the messages are unimportant, because there'll be an "Item plops" sound that plays whenever you pick up something. :D

nicodeux

Farmer
Playing with sound is adding a lot to the game atmosphere, really, and not only because ConcernedApe wrote an awesome soundtrack. :smile:
As an example, autumn is my favorite season in the game and I can't play it with the sound turn off.