*May Include Spoilers* Tips for Skull Cavern?

Hi everyone! I’m at the end of Year 1 in my save file, and I'm currently trying to get to Floor 100 in Skull Cavern.

Usually (without staircases, special foods, buffs, or anything besides the occasional bomb and field snack) I get to Level 25, on lucky days somewhere near Level 30. My record is Level 34.
However, I want to get to Level 100 to finish the Qi challenge (which I have never completed). I have the galaxy sword and a gold pickaxe, and I can easily raise around 30,000 in a few days to fund Skull Cavern runs. The only problem is I have no idea what to buy/bring! Obviously staircases, bombs, food, etc., but other than that I would love some tips on how to get to Level 100.

Some of my stats:
  • I have 155 Health and 338 Stamina
  • Level 10 Mining (Professions: Geologist and Gemologist) - These are all the things I can craft, mainly Cherry, Regular, and Mega Bombs
  • Level 9 Combat (Profession: Fighter) - These are all the things I can craft at my current level, mainly the Life Elixir, which I have the Mushroom Cave for (I already have an Iridium Band)
  • I have 10 Spicy Eels stored up, along with 1 Energy Tonic and a Miner's Treat
  • I usually bring Field Snacks to SC (But I'm running low so I may just convert to Salads)
  • It's my last few days to buy stone from Robin at lower prices! Should I splurge all I can raise in 4 days? (I'm on Winter 26)
Last note: I am still on 1.4 so any new things that were introduced in 1.5 (hard level etc) are not implemented in my save file yet.

The easiest way is 100 stairs. You can trade a jade for a staircase in the desert on Sundays. Jade replicates quickly in crystalariums. You can just hold & place stairs all the way down, and if you want, continue mining after level 100.
Things that help: level 10 combat, lucky day, special charm in your wallet, space boots; any ring that boosts immunity, health, attack, or defense; lava katana if not Galaxy sword, desert & farm totem,and coffee!

Elenna101

Farmer
Some suggestions/comments:
  • Ditch the miner's treat, spicy eels will work better. You want +speed for sure, +luck is good too. (I assume you don't have 3 prismatic shards to trade for magic rock candy, if you do, that'll be better, although you can only get one rock candy a week.
  • Trade diamonds for espresso at the desert trader. You'll need 3-4 espressos to last the day. You really want to stack this with the spicy eel to get +2 speed, since then you can outrun the serpents.
  • Speaking of which, avoid fighting unless you can kill the enemy quickly. Enemies do have a 15% chance of dropping a ladder (unless they're killed on sand or wooden flooring), but in general killing them is a waste of time.
  • For killing enemies quickly, get a hammer! You can right-click and then mash left-click (or whatever the special attack and regular attack buttons are if you're playing on console) to get lots of hits quickly, in an area of effect around you. Takes a little practice but not too much. Since you have the galaxy sword, buying the galaxy hammer at the adventurer's guild is likely to be a good investment if you have the cash.
  • Yes, salads are good to buy if you're low on food. You've probably figured this out already, but try to keep your HP above half-full or so.
  • Bring at least a few staircases (either traded from the desert merchant for jades on Sundays, or crafted). As @PoppyForPenny said, you can cheese it by just bringing 100 (or close to 100) stairs, but even if you don't want to do that, you want at least a few stairs. Skip any monster floors, skip the annoying spiral floor pattern unless you see something good near you, try and skip floors that don't have good places to put bombs. The more stairs the better, basically.
  • As you know, bombs are good. I spend very little time using my pickaxe in SC (mostly when I'm waiting for a bomb to blow up and there's nowhere good nearby to place another bomb). I think I usually use 30ish regular bombs, 20ish mega bombs, and 15ish cherry bombs, but that's just a guess off the top of my head. Also I make back some bombs from serpent drops so idk how accurate that number is.
  • Ever heard of explosive ammo? You can craft it starting at combat 9. When placed in the slingshot, it basically gives you ranged bombs that explode immediately, which is really helpful because you don't have to waste time waiting for bombs to go off. The downside is, it's a little expensive (1 iron bar and 2 coal to get five of them), and the slingshot takes some practice to use especially because you won't have the new 1.5 slingshot controls. But you can get some really impressive amounts of iridium if you get good at it. If you choose to use explosive ammo, keep in mind that it only explodes when it hits walls or enemies, so you'll still need some bombs for large open areas.

Tom

Farmer
Elenna101 gave everything you need (including good inventory numbers, but I allot more bombs) for early SC runs. Run on Bombs and Salads (30), and don't waste a moment. I also
  • Use the screenshot tool (bottom of Options tab) to scope out every level to save time, but I guess that only works on PC.
  • Use a Warp Totem to get started before 6:30.
  • Since I have 20 hours, Aim for 5 floors per hour (20 by 10a, 40 by 2p, 60 by 6p, 80 by 10p). Pacing is everything.
  • Take Coal, Solar Essence, and Void Essence if I want to craft bombs instead of taking 200 bombs.

Last edited:
However, I want to get to Level 100 to finish the Qi challenge (which I have never completed).
If this is all you want to do, if this is your sole reason for doing this, then get crystalariums up and running with Jade, then when you have 100 Jade, take them to the desert trader on a Sunday, and swap them for 100 staircases. You can then just ladder down to floor 100 with zero variance

I can easily raise around 30,000 in a few days to fund Skull Cavern runs.
That's more than enough. TBH, with a little patience it can be done for the 500g cost of the bus fare; unless you have a desert totem, in which case you don't need to spend any cash at all.

Good "free" foods include
  • Gold cheese from your cows - a full deluxe barn of well fed 5-star cows will provide you with 12 Large Milk for gold cheeses every day - three days will give you enough for a skull run. You want about 5 days of regular cheese from regular milk
  • If you lack cheese presses, but you also have a coop full of chickens, you can make omelet. The downside is that they won't heal you anywhere near as much as cheese, so at 12 omelets per day, you probably need a week's worth
  • Sashimi - go to the sewers, catch carp all day and turn it all into sashimi. Turn the green and white algae into algae soup and pale broth respectively. Or just spam crab pots. Either way, you probably want around 75 sashimi to be safe. Pale broth is awesome considering the cost of the ingredients.
  • Cactus fruit or purple mushrooms - if you have a bunch of either of these lying around, take them; they're both awesome, and the higher the quality, the more bang for your buck - iridium is the best, you'd want about 25 iridium purple mushrooms, or 35 iridium cactus fruit
But if you're buying, the easiest bet for food is going to Gus and buying 50 salads, which should easily last the day, and can be yours for just 11,000. Dont clog up your inventory with a dozen small stacks of food, just concentrate on having a large single stack countaining thousands of HP, maybe 2 stacks max. Also, don't choose foods that only heal small, for instance the field snack only heals 20HP, meaning you need to eat three of them to recover from a single hit from an iridium bat. You want to take food that heals in big chunks, which is why cheese and salad are the most popular choices,

I have 155 Health and 338 Stamina
Health is all the matters, you won't be using stamina. But keep an eye on that health bar and don't let it get low. Ever!

Level 10 Mining (Professions: Geologist and Gemologist)
You say you have money to put into this, well do yourself a huge favour - go to the sewer and use the statue to change professions, because Geologist sucks big time. You want to choose Miner/Blacksmith, which will give you an extra ore from every single node. On a good skull run, that's hundreds of extra ore for literally zero extra effort. Even an extra 100 iridium ore is 20 Iridium Bars, which is an extra 30 grand when you sell them, plus all the extra copper, iron and gold ore you'll get. This single thing will make the biggest difference to your loot

The higher combat is good, as it gives you higher HP, but try not to get caught up in combat. With coffee and Spicy Eel you will have +2 speed, which is enough to outrun even the green serpents. Only fight if it is absolutely unavoidable. Also, IMHO the Life Elixir is pretty pointless; it's ridiculously expensive to craft, and it's far too dangerous to let your health get so low as to take maximum advantage of them, so you're better off just having 2 salads if you lose 100 HP.
It's my last few days to buy stone from Robin at lower prices! Should I splurge all I can raise in 4 days? (I'm on Winter 26)
I'd say don't buy stone either. You'll probably have the best part of a full stack lying around from all your activity in the normal mines, and that's enough to get you started. For staircases, as already mentioned, you want to trade Jade.

If you want to be a cheapskate on Bombs as well, just keep revisiting floor 61 for iron ore, and while you're there, slaughter the coal sprites, then craft your own bombs. I'd say mostly avoid Megas, because it's hard to get out of blast range and you'll take a lot of unnecessary damage. There are only a few floor layouts I'd consider using them, offhand I think floor layouts 9, 13, 16, 23 and 38, basically all the wide open ones. Otherwise I just use normal bombs. Cherry bombs are too small and fiddly, and not worth wasting an inventory slot.

Overall, your inventory when you enter SC should look something like this

Weapon
Pickaxe
SIngle stack of big healing food (salad, cheese, etc)
Coffee
Spicy Eel (this is not for healing, just for speed and luck buffs)
Single stack of staircases or stones
Bombs
Slingshot loaded with explosive ammo if you are comfortable with using it

That's it, the other slots are all for the loot.

Akemisora

Planter
Actually you don't have to bring lots of items to make it work. Around 30 bombs are enough. Make sure to be effective using it. About 5 spicy eel and triple espresso will last until the night. Iridium pickaxe will make your life easier than golden pickaxe. Use warp totem at 6am so you have more time to dive deeper.

Screenshot_3.jpg

That's my personal best, winter 27 year 1. I use crystal fruit as healing item, I farm them a lot.

imnvs

Local Legend
Good "free" foods include
  • Gold cheese from your cows - a full deluxe barn of well fed 5-star cows will provide you with 12 Large Milk for gold cheeses every day - three days will give you enough for a skull run. You want about 5 days of regular cheese from regular milk
  • If you lack cheese presses, but you also have a coop full of chickens, you can make omelet. The downside is that they won't heal you anywhere near as much as cheese, so at 12 omelets per day, you probably need a week's worth
  • Sashimi - go to the sewers, catch carp all day and turn it all into sashimi. Turn the green and white algae into algae soup and pale broth respectively. Or just spam crab pots. Either way, you probably want around 75 sashimi to be safe. Pale broth is awesome considering the cost of the ingredients.
  • Cactus fruit or purple mushrooms - if you have a bunch of either of these lying around, take them; they're both awesome, and the higher the quality, the more bang for your buck - iridium is the best, you'd want about 25 iridium purple mushrooms, or 35 iridium cactus fruit
You're missing Magma Caps. Some easy hunting in the volcano dungeon can get you a lot of these, and they are good healing. (1.5)

Last edited:
You're missing Magma Caps. Some easy hunting in the volcano dungeon can get you a lot of these, and they are good healing.
I think the reason they didn’t mention that is if they don’t have 1.5. Also, if you could spoiler some of that stuff it would be great

Last edited: