Math.

I'm studying to get into the college of my dreams (Oxford), and want to be a teacher, so I'm studying anything I may need to know, and I need to know math, but I hate it, so I want to know what you guys think of it.

Edit: Thanks for all the advice, sorry for taking so long to reply, and when push comes to shove, it should be noted, I might not even apply to Oxford, since of the crippling insecurity I face about... everything. But that's probably normal for someone my age. I do want to do college, but Oxford is a dream.

Last edited:
What subject are you most interested in teaching? If you'd like to teach English or history, for example, math may only be a blip on your long list of required courses and you may not have to stress too much about it. Here in the US, when I attempted college for teaching English (before I realized I didn't actually want to teach and chose to drop out because: money), I had all my math credits completed before I graduated high school thanks to dual credit opportunities because I was also not a huge fan of math, and my college course roster comprised mainly of teaching courses, literary courses, a couple history classes, and for whatever reason, pointless electives such as PE were also required before you could graduate. That was over 10 years ago though, so I'm not entirely sure how it works these days, let alone how prestigious universities in another country, such as Oxford, lay out their requirements. If I were you, I would see if you could talk to an Oxford alum who went through their teaching program to get an idea of what was required for them to graduate, or even see if you could speak with an advisor or someone in admissions who could give you a more personalized plan to see what you'd be getting into.

Odin

Staff member
I definitely find some aspects of math easier to understand than others. If there's a particular area you struggle with, I would recommend reviewing those subjects though something outside of the textbook or class you're learning them in. Sometimes all it takes is having someone explain something in a different way, or just spending a bit more time with it.

I'd recommend https://www.khanacademy.org/ as a great resource, it has a ton of free courses or you can look at more specific lessons. They have thousands of videos on YouTube as well, covering all sorts of specific math concepts.

ArtifactSpot

Wow! Oxford is a prestigious college. Best of luck to you! I’m not good at math, but I passed my Elementary teaching classes with flying colors. Obviously teaching El Ed math isn’t as easy as taking it, but if you’re looking into secondary or even college level teaching you’ll have to study much more difficult and varied material. I only had like 12 total math credit hours required of me. Have you considered a tutoring course private or group settings, many online now.

I definitely find some aspects of math easier to understand than others. If there's a particular area you struggle with, I would recommend reviewing those subjects though something outside of the textbook or class you're learning them in. Sometimes all it takes is having someone explain something in a different way, or just spending a bit more time with it.

I'd recommend https://www.khanacademy.org/ as a great resource, it has a ton of free courses or you can look at more specific lessons. They have thousands of videos on YouTube as well, covering all sorts of specific math concepts.
I love Khan Academy, it's something I use for person studies as well as school studies and just extra learning.

What subject are you most interested in teaching? If you'd like to teach English or history, for example, math may only be a blip on your long list of required courses and you may not have to stress too much about it. Here in the US, when I attempted college for teaching English (before I realized I didn't actually want to teach and chose to drop out because: money), I had all my math credits completed before I graduated high school thanks to dual credit opportunities because I was also not a huge fan of math, and my college course roster comprised mainly of teaching courses, literary courses, a couple history classes, and for whatever reason, pointless electives such as PE were also required before you could graduate. That was over 10 years ago though, so I'm not entirely sure how it works these days, let alone how prestigious universities in another country, such as Oxford, lay out their requirements. If I were you, I would see if you could talk to an Oxford alum who went through their teaching program to get an idea of what was required for them to graduate, or even see if you could speak with an advisor or someone in admissions who could give you a more personalized plan to see what you'd be getting into.
Thanks for the advice! As someone who has always had a knack for history, that is likely what I'd go for, if I do end up sticking through, as minds can always change. My mind in particular changes so much about the littlest things (like what to do in SDV for example), so something major, like applying to my dream college? No way in hell my mind won't flip flop.

Wow! Oxford is a prestigious college. Best of luck to you! I’m not good at math, but I passed my Elementary teaching classes with flying colors. Obviously teaching El Ed math isn’t as easy as taking it, but if you’re looking into secondary or even college level teaching you’ll have to study much more difficult and varied material. I only had like 12 total math credit hours required of me. Have you considered a tutoring course private or group settings, many online now.
Thanks! As I stated, it is a dream college, and I likely will not get into it, the best I can get is probably UPenn or Cornell, as I've never been the smartest, but I've been up there (but that was years ago in Elementary, when stuff was easy for me). But even then, Ivy League is still big. So one can dream, but dreaming won't get me anywhere, learning will. Even then, Ivy League may not be it for me, I really don't want to move away from my family, so probably BYU or just something closer.

Edited for spelling. (I know in the introduction I said I don't care, I lied, another case of me flip-flopping)

Last edited: