Question Looking for an updated tutorial/links on how to create new portraits and sprites for Original NPCs (Including Bachelors and Bachelorettes)

Hi!
I'm looking to get into creating sprites and portraits for Stardew Valley's main NPCs--the ones I've seen haven't caught my eye and the ones I have loved haven't been updated in ages since the last time I had played. I was wondering if there's a link to a current guide/thread or someone can link a video on how to get started making sprites and portraits (I think I have the thread with how to make XNB into CP files still saved).

I also would appreciate it if someone could let me know what's exactly needed as in tools and software as well as sizes of pixels and size of portraits, as I have some I use for creating digital art but I don't know if my software is what's needed or what else I'd be missing.

I appreciate any information that anyone can offer!

Lenora Rose

Farmer
You can make portraits and sprites in any pixel art program, including online freebies like Piskel. Sprites are 32 x 16 each, sprite sheets for nocs are 4 sprites by 13-14 rows, with each sprite spot being for a particular view (row 1 is walking face forward, 2 is walking to one side, row three walking from the back view, 4 is the other side...). I can't remember the default portrait size, but this link leads to a download you can probably use as a starting template.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I have some links to art style tips for pixel art in general and Stardew Valley in particular, but they're on a computer I can't access until tomorrow.

You can also do HD versions for portraits of course but that's more complex.
Ah thank you so much for the helpful link! I think I'd like to attempt doing pixel for now, and I'll tackle HD versions eventually--it's sort of my to-do list xD Thank you though, this is exactly what I was looking for, I'm glad I can use any art program to make them!