Lock items (like rugs) to the ground

tomaO2

Planter
Well, we got a lock items to hot bar suggestion, a lock sign images suggestion (I've never really used sign images, so I don't know how big an issue that one is), so lets just go full tilt and also have a lock items to ground suggestion too.

Hot bar, sign, and ground locks. The holy trinity. *halo forms*

The way I see it is that the most direct way to do this would be to create two new items. Lets call them glue, and dissolver. These will be items you can buy/craft.

You apply glue to any item that can be placed on the ground. This item is now permanently locked in place. If you try to lift it, either nothing will happen, or you get a message saying that it's glued. Applying dissolver to a glued item will allow it to be moved again, like normal.

Alternatively, a tool could possible unglue the item as well. I think I'd go with the hoe. That way you could mass unglue a number of items quickly. I originally was thinking the watering can instead, but then rain would also be able to dissolve the glue, and I'm sure people would want to glue items outside as well.

Last edited:

Odin

Staff member
If the issue you're having is that you often pick up decoration items while in your house, maybe a better solution would be to have a separate "decoration mode" the game could go into and items would be unmovable outside of that. That way it's not something you have to do for every single item, and this mode could have better UI for decoration like a toolbar/menu of items from the catalogs.

LettuceFarm

Planter
If the issue you're having is that you often pick up decoration items while in your house, maybe a better solution would be to have a separate "decoration mode" the game could go into and items would be unmovable outside of that. That way it's not something you have to do for every single item, and this mode could have better UI for decoration like a toolbar/menu of items from the catalogs.
Yes, that would be a nice feature to have especially if time stopped during the "decoration mode"
the number of times I've decorated an entire space only to pull out the rug by accident :cry:

tomaO2

Planter
It;s also valid to have some sort of switch that locks things down in the house, and/or have a freeze function so you can spend all the time you like to decorate the house. I think decorating is an important aspect of the game, and it could stand to be a bit more user friendly. There are other threads to talk about decoration mode. The most recent one is here.

My personal idea is to make it a new decoration mode that is accessible from Robin's, since that fits with how the game is currently structured. If that was followed, then you would still want a way to lock items in place, cause it can be really easy to misclick and items could still be moved around like normal.

Last edited:

birdn4t0r

Cowpoke
It;s also valid to have some sort of switch that locks things down in the house, and/or have a freeze function so you can spend all the time you like to decorate the house. I think decorating is an important aspect of the game, and it could stand to be a bit more user friendly. There are other threads to talk about decoration mode. The most recent one is here.

My personal idea is to make it a new decoration mode that is accessible from Robin's, since that fits with how the game is currently structured. If that was followed, then you would still want a way to lock items in place, cause it can be really easy to misclick and items could still be moved around like normal.
ooh, i like the decoration mode idea! the number of times i’ve accidentally pulled up the rug or lights while moving is…ugh. mobile struggles.

TruePurple

Cowpoke
I'm with Odin, I've accidentally picked up TV's (especially TV's to see what's on) rugs, cup on the table, what not, it's PITA. We should not need to buy items for a fix for a game mechanical issue. A specific mode for rearranging items makes alot of sense. Besides who would just casually move things around ever so often, people are going to want to have decorations such a way, and then stay there.

But if there are people who want to occasionally move around a item without going into a special move, there could be a box to check on a item that allows to to remain free to move outside of decoration mode.

I'll add this as another worthy addition to my Quality of life thread. https://forums.stardewvalley.net/threads/important-quality-of-life-suggestions.5667/

Last edited:

cinemack

Farmhand
I would be elated to have a lock rug option. I am so frustrated right now I've yanked the rug like 15 times