Locating iOS save file, backing up files, SD Checkup, and Save File Editing

I know the wiki mentions that Stardew files can be found in the iOS Files app, but some pages are kinda vague in how to use the hidden context menus to copy/paste, so I thought I'd elaborate a bit for iOS users who aren't used to working with the Files app (after all, files were hidden on iOS for the longest time, and many functions are hidden under long-press context menus). So this is an elaborated guide on how to locate, back up game files, how to use mouseypound's Stardew Checkup direct from your device (it potentially has spoilers, so if you're early-game or spoiler-adverse, maybe don't use it just yet). Also, it only references Mac/PC file locations, so some folks assume it can't be used on mobile, it can and is a great tool. And, there's even a blurb on how to edit your save file either by saving to iCloudDrive and logging in there to edit on your computer. Or a blurb if you're really determined to do it directly on your device.

Edit: The wiki instructions were incorrect for iPad users (referencing a button that doesn't exist on iPad), I edited to fix there. The Mobile Save page doesnt have mobile file locations, so some folks seem to skip right over it since the save page top link refers them to that page for mobile saves (even though it says its for how progress is saved). Can't hurt to have it in more than one place. 🤷‍♀️

How to back up your Stardew iOS files from local (on your device only) Files app to Files app stored in the Cloud (iCloud Drive):
  1. Open the Files app.

2. In the Files app menu (on iPhone first tap Browse, on iPad, ensure the left menu panel is displayed and if not tap the top-left button to display it), then tap On my iPad/iPhone.
    • This views files stored locally on your iPad, Stardew only saves locally on the device, and is not transferred automatically when you change devices, it has to be done manually).

3. Tap the Stardew Valley folder to open it.
    • Inside will be a folder 📁 titled similarly to:
    JohnSnow_123456789

4. To back up the whole folder with emergency and save backup (this is what I do, rather than just grabbing save file inside), press and hold on the folder until a context menu appears. In the context menu, tap Copy.

5. In the Files app menu, tap iCloudDrive.
    • This navigates to your cloud folder, not saved on your device.

6. Press the create folder (📁+) button, then name the folder Stardew Backups.

7. Once created, tap the Stardew Backups folder to enter inside of it.

8. Press and hold in the empty space inside the folder to open a context menu. In the context menu tap Paste.
    • If performed correctly, the Stardew game folder you copied earlier should be pasted into the Stardew Backups folder you created.

Note: It may take a few minutes for each file inside that folder to sync to the cloud. You can tap the folder to enter it and check each file's progress if desired.

Using Stardew Checkup tool on iOS web browser (using may show spoilers):

To access direct from on-device save file, or from a just-made iCloud Drive save (accessible via the Files app). You can use the Stardew Checkup tool on your backup file easily:

1. On your iOS device, visit the following page in your web browser:
    https://mouseypounds.github.io/stardew-checkup/

2. Select the desired options, then beside where it says Select a save file to check, tap the Choose File button.
    • A context menu appears.

3. Tap the Browse option in the context menu.
    • This opens the Files app to browse to your save file.

Note: you may need to press the Back/Browse button to return to the top level folder of the Files app and access the Files app menu.

4. Navigate to either:
    On my iPad/iphone (in the menu), OR
    • Your iCloud Stardew Backups folder (you may have created this in earlier steps above).

5. Tap to game folder 📁 that is titled similarly to (to open it):
    JohnSnow_123456789

6. Tap to select the file 📝 that is titled similar to:
    JohnSnow_123456789

• After tapping the file, the file should load in the checkup utility and the results should appear on the page below, for you to review. You can also take screenshots of each section for your camera roll for easy review later if you need to review often but don't want to repeat the process often.

Important: Each time you revisit that checkup utility page, your browser will attempt to "helpfully" suggest the location old file which is great if you're working from your local On My iPad/iPhone folder; however, if you're working from a backup copy in iCloud, and replaced this file and/or deleted the old one, it will still try to check that old one (it will auto-navigate you to that folder in the trash). Be sure to navigate back to the main iCloud folder you saved it in and select the right/current file.

Note: You can also use iCloud Drive backup to easily transfer your game between iOS devices and/or PC/devices as needed. If you're needing to transfer to another platform, iCloud Drive can be logged into via the web browser on device.

Save File Editing on iOS

It is technically possible to edit save files directly on iOS, however it is complicated by finding an app that can both open a large save file (without crashing, took me trying 10+ code/plain-text editor apps which support XML formatting, including some paid ones, before I found one that didn't crash and had a well working search). Plus it is important to use one that doesn't add unwanted formatting or strip existing formatting/indentation which can screw up a save file. Always, always back up your save files before editing, and check the wiki Advanced section about saves (it is updated more often, this post might become outdated).

It is far easier to email/transfer/iCloud Drive/Google drive (or airdrop if using a Mac) your save file from your iOS device to your computer, open, edit, save, and send/upload/email/cloud-drive back to your device. The real issue is the size of the save file, once the file size starts getting larger, a lot of apps have problems opening or editing it so they can crash randomly.

The save file location is:
Files app > On my iPad/iPhone (in the menu) > Stardew Valley 📁 > JohnSnow_123456789 📝

Easy way:
  1. Follow the steps above to create a backup of all save files in iCloud Drive.
  2. On your computer, log into iCloud in your browser and then access iCloud Drive.
  3. Locate and download your save file.
  4. Follow the instructions for Save File editing on your computer (by this time you should have an idea of how to put the files back into the cloud via web browser, just MAKE sure you keep a separate folder for Stardew Backups (unedited) and another separate folder for Save File Edits. Be very careful what you put where. You ALWAYS need to preserve an unedited copy in iCloud Drive or Google drive, in case something goes wrong during edits, so you don't wreck and/or lose your game. Take extra care not to mix them up!

The hard way: At the time of writing this, one free iPad plain text app that worked for file editing (without crashing or messing up formatting) was: Textastic Code Editor 9 (this may work for some and not for others, or you might find a better app--if so please suggest here). I have several code editors for iOS for when I don't want to pull out my laptop, and for whatever reason each of these either crashed repeatedly even with a small file size, or hadn’t very poorly working/responding search functionality when the xml file was opened. I only had my iPad on me at the time I wanted to do my first edit, so was determined lol.

Last edited: