Linux Local Co-op won't allow host to move

I've tried setting up local co-op multiple times and keep having the same issue. I select 'start local multiplayer' in the menu. My friend hooks up a controller (I'm using K&M) and creates a new farmhand with no issue. When the game starts in split-screen, they can play normally, open menus, adjust the zoom, trigger cut-scenes...play the game. Meanwhile, my (host) side of the screen keeps showing the controller menu option to join or cancel (screen shot included). It will only let me move the curser about and type into the message bar (trying 'resume' 'restart' 'unpause' 'cancel' and 'exit' didn't do anything).

That's it. I cannot move my farmer or open any menus. I cannot make the floating 'join option' thing go away. I cannot even exit the game or return to title screen. I have to window the game and quit the program in the menu bar or I'm just stuck in place while my farmhand goes about their day.

I am not using any mods. I've previously used the animal name ID cheat to get a couple extra dwarf gadgets (for decorative purposes) but otherwise am playing the vanilla game normally. I'm on Linux (Ubuntu 22.04.3 LTS) using the most recent GOG version of Stardew Valley.

Any assistance would be much appreciated. Thank you all for your time.

Attachments

Update: It's focused on a different issue but I was able to fix this using the method suggested by Lagges in this old thread. The game stutters a bit when one of us is outside for some reason, but it's playable and I'm sure I can fix that with some settings. It's a couple year slate and you weren't even talking to me, but thanks, @Lagges!