iOS Loading the game puts me into inescapable “cutscene”

IshaqKai

Newcomer
Type of phone: iPad Air 3rd gen (2019)

Details of your issue: The game crashes a lot on iOS (or iPadOS, whatever), so out of habit i make a backup save as frequently as possible - any time i feel i’ve done something significant i’ll do this as i’m sure many mobile players do…this was a fine workaround for me, i don’t mind the game being buggy it just requires me to be diligent - however what isn’t okay is that occasionally when i load the game back up after a crash and “restore” from my previous manual save back up, this “cutscene’ music (i only started playing like 6 days ago so not familiar what this music is actually from) starts playing, and my screen is locked into the top left corner when zooming + no characters in screen + no enemies, basically nothing work, i’m just locked into zooming in and out of that corner

The discouraging part is, reloading the save doesn’t work, it just puts me back into that “cutscene”. When this first occurred it was after i left Pierre’s, it sometime in winter year 1 and i thought a genuine cutscene was playing until i waited for like 2 mins and nothing happened. Much to my dismay the only solution is restarting the day, but this is exceedingly frustrating when in the Skull Cavern as getting deep is such a chore for the part of the game i’m in, it’s why i’m writing now because it’s the second time it’s happened and unfortunately i can’t provide a video at the moment however i have screenshots (when loading into the cavern it puts me on a different floor layout each time)

I‘ve searched far and wide to see if anyone else has experienced this and either i’m not searching with the correct terms or this is simply a me issue, i really don’t wanna switch to playing on PC as i like playing SV in bed but i may have to as this bug just isn’t ignorable imo, praying someone out there somewhere has experienced this and knows a solution!

Screenshots/video:
IMG_2523.png
IMG_2524.png
IMG_2525.png
IMG_2526.png
IMG_2527.png
IMG_2528.png

On the day of your issue, did you load your game through the Load Game menu (you wake up in the bed)? Or was it an "emergency load" (i.e. one where you start mid-day wherever you left off)?
Mid-day, manual backup save never the emergency save

Any other info that might be relevant: I play with a PS5 Dualsense (standard controller), i’ve seen other people report issues with using controllers on mobile but i can’t imagine the combat in this game with touch controls so not playing with one isn’t really a solution long term, i’ve also tried on both the app store paid version of the game and the apple arcade version of the game, same issue

wildandblue

Sodbuster
How very frustrating to have the game crash often. I've played on iPad with a DS4 controller for a long time and have had no issues. It's not clear from your problem description but do the crashes happen only with your DS5? Do you have a DS4 you might borrow to test with? Does it happen when you play with touch controls only (even though you don't prefer them)? Have to say auto attack can be pretty great when using touch controls.

Could you also provide other details including:
- iPadOS version
- are the SDV versions current?
- is your iPad connected to a Bluetooth (not smart connector) keyboard case? I'm thinking about BT conflicts.
- does the DS5 controller ever lose the Bluetooth connection while playing?
- do these issues happen with a brand new save, or is this an older save?
- did these crashes first start in Winter Year 1, and were you able to play normally until then? If not, when in the game timeline did it first start?
- is there a good amount of available storage on your iPad?
- are you having issues with any other iPad games with which you use the DS5?
- was the save file actually created on your iPad or was it copied from a different source (such as a Mac)?
- have you tried deleting and reinstalling SDV? Deleting the app will also delete your save file, but if there's a problem with the save file, maybe that's not a bad thing. You may already knows this, but you can move/copy your save to iCloud or other external storage before you delete the app, and then copy/move it back once the game has been reinstalled.
- have you tried the usual iPad troubleshooting steps of restart, reset all settings, and even restore (although hopefully we can try to figure this out before having to do the restore step)?
- Would you upload a screenshot of the SDV save file folder found at Files app > On My iPad > Stardew Valley. It would be helpful to see the folder name and the actual file names.

Last edited: