Let's talk about maximizing profit and income

Opinions on best income vs. time methods?

• Total voters

Storm Eagle

Farmhand
Most runs I try to get sprinkler ancient seed farming with Junimo harvesting going as fast as I can. Regular quality goes into kegs and then the cellar, gold gets sold. But the silver quality tends to pile up. One very late (unmodded) game I let silver quality ancient fruit REALLY pile up because I wanted to see if I could break the daily $$$ counter. My son (who, along with my daughter got me hooked on SDV) had friends over one Saturday and suggested doing a multiplayer session on that run. He was rather surprised opening a chest with many hundred silver quality ancient fruit stacked in it. Never did try to break the counter...

Btw getting ready to plant ~1600 ancient fruit seeds in a year four SDV Expanded standard farm with nine Junimo huts. Not sure Concerned Ape would approve since this is starting to get into Joja Corporation / Archer Daniels Midland economies of scale / insanity and runs a bit counter to the game's intent. But seeing ALL THAT LAND not being used for three years...

Last edited:

Grump

Greenhorn
I really depends on what your timeline is.

If you have an arbitrary amount of time to setup, I'm pretty sure Crystalariums in large sheds making diamonds is the most profit per tile per day you can have. They beat out wine & truffles simply because you can cram more of them into the same space by building sheds everywhere. However, Crystalariums are expensive af, so it takes a long time for you to break even on the resources you invested in building them. Like, each crystalarium takes an entire year to pay for itself, and you're trying to build a couple thousand of them. You'd probably be better off starting with one of the strategies below just to get enough startup capital to fund your diamond-synthesis empire.

If your timeline is >2 years (maybe 2+?) then I'm pretty sure the most profit per tile per day you can get on your farm is from truffle farming. However, truffles will take much more time per-day to manage than wine does (getting to that in a sec). It's time intensive because, even with the botanist perk guaranteeing iridium quality truffles, the chance for a pig to produce multiple truffles in a day is based on happiness, so you want to be maximizing that. And, because you need to spend time every day handling your pigs, you miss out on the chance to do much spelunking in the skull caverns which, if you have money for bombs/explosive ammo, is insanely profitable.

Ancientfruit wine, on its own, probably loses out to truffle farming. However, I think it's probably one part of the second-best long-term model for profit (after crystalariums). If you plant ancientfruit on spring 1 with speed-gro, you will get 9 harvests out of the plant before winter. With sprinklers, the fruit will need your attention only once per week to harvest. For simplicity's sake, I'll assume you lose one whole day a week to harvesting + kegging all your fruit (which, conveniently are both going to be on seven-day cycles). You could even fit in a second planting of ancientfruit on Spring 6 (I think - need to double-check the math) and, if you use deluxe speed-gro, the harvests will be sync'd up with the crop from spring 1, so you still only have one day of work on the farm per week. The rest of your time, you spend in skull caverns mining iridium ore. Possibly turning some amount of the ore into crystalariums to duplicate jade, which you can trade for staircases, which you can use to reliably get deeper in the caverns for more iridium. Not sure what the exact best balance between all these elements would be, and not sure I care enough to work it out (it also probably depends on how long you plan to play on the same file for), but this is the model I'm working towards on my own farm. Even if you're not trying to maximize profit, I like that it's low maintenance enough to leave plenty of time for just wandering around town chatting with people, running errands, fishing, etc.

aspienerd92

Greenhorn
That is true, if you care about product quality. Nevertheless, if you are fine with 0-heart animals, you can just keep the silos full and go on forever without checking on animals. Even without processing and with buying hay, turning hay into base quality milk is still some profit, and, since you spend basically no time on that (as much as filling a silo takes), it's a good profit/time spent and you can spend the rest of your day mining. Again, not a good minmaxing strat, since going through Deluxe Speed Gro Starfruit + Pumpkin route will get you much more much easier, but it does minimize time spent on the farm, as the crops need to be planted, collected, and processed.
Do you know if the amount of produce lowers in addition to the quality? I know that I make a lot of money just having the Foraging profession in conjunction with a barn full of pigs... But if the pigs stop digging up as many truffles because they are unhappy, would that be worth it?

Talsin

Greenhorn
In the Vanilla game? I mean there's not even a question - it's just Starfuit Jelly, nothing else even touches it (I guess Ancient Fruit is a close second because you don't have to replant it). It's a bit disappointing how unbalanced it is honestly, but equally you run out of things to spend money on pretty quickly...

Paranoic

Sodbuster
Do you know if the amount of produce lowers in addition to the quality? I know that I make a lot of money just having the Foraging profession in conjunction with a barn full of pigs... But if the pigs stop digging up as many truffles because they are unhappy, would that be worth it?
Well, the quantity lowers only for pigs and sheep IIRC. That's why my original suggestion would be cows, since they're cheap and low maintenance. Also, if you're going pigs, my original point of "animals can be left alone and make profit until autograbbers are full, as long as you refill silos, so you can skip days and profit with minimal IRL time spent" gets invalidated, since you'll need to pick up the truffles pretty often (tho pigs are one of the better money makers in the grand scheme of things, anyway. Not quite as good as ancient fruit farms, tho)

Tom

Farmer
Starfuit Jelly, nothing else even touches it (I guess Ancient Fruit is a close second because you don't have to replant it).
Calcs show absolute max farming outdoors is all-season Ancient Fruit as explained by Grump. In the Greenhouse, absolute max would be Hops/Ale and Ancient Fruit infilling Pomegranate/Peach. But you may not want to harvest and process every day. And you may not want enough Kegs for that. So either Starfruit (Wine, not Jelly) or Ancient Fruit (more money) is a lazier Greenhouse option.

Daedelonis

Tiller
Dunno about maximizing profits but I'm trying to build as many Crystalariums as possible. Using PC version, with Stardew Valley Expanded mod (as well as some QoL mods), I'm in Year 21 with something like 2700-2800 Crystalariums all placed in the Desert and 505 Statues of Endless Fortune on my farm. Selling that many diamonds per 5 days, I generate like 2.5M gold every 5 days.

Tom

Farmer
This is my opinion so bare with me.
Well stated, and that's my opinion. Keg-processed crops are the best. And generally for a small hit on rate of return, you can hit high levels of laziness, especially if you are picky about how and where you put your Kegs so you can run along the rows efficiently.

Year 1 Spring, Fishing is great income. But you need to be preparing for Kegs. The non-heroic route I take for that is to try to tap around 8 Oak Trees Spring 12 (that requires Foraging level 3, about 65 tree tops chopped) and then about 3 more per week indefinitely until I feel I have enough Oak Resin coming in.

Year 1 Summer, Pale Ale is great income. Save 84 starters for your Greenhouse. You need to harvest daily and change your Kegs every day or two. But it's still less work and a lower money investment than Pigs.

Year 1 Fall, keep processing Hops and working on putting 84 Hops in your Greenhouse, transitioning and infilled with Starfruit and Ancient Fruit.

Long run, Starfruit (including Casks) and Ancient Fruit (once you have it) are peak laziness. Outdoor Ancient Fruit planted on Spring 1 on DSG without any Agriculturist perk (Artisan only) or Casks nets you about 20k per plant per year. That's 1 million per 50 plants (and 50 kegs) per year, tended once per week. Who needs to maximize (cut out Junimo Huts) when you are earning 5,000,000 per Junimo Hut per year?

Last edited:

tdog0008

Sodbuster
Just remember- Profit maximimization occurs that the point where marginal revenue is equal to marginal cost.

Looking exclusively at profits and income... artisan products are miles ahead of everything else, to the point that not processing your produce, be it animal or plant based, is just throwing money away, aside from corner cases with Animal Husbandry wherein it actually makes sense to sell higher quality raw animal products.

However, this does require a substantial initial investment in production and processing, both in terms of where you are going to process and the actual processing machines themselves. As of 1.4, Sheds came into their own as far as what to use to process bulk products in for minimal footprint on your farm (assuming you aren't doing things like lining the bus tunnel, the quarry, and other areas where NPC's don't walk) with the inclusion of the Big Shed. But it still takes time and resources to ask Robin to build and upgrade them for you. Kegs and Preserves Jars aren't exactly cheap either, not in the quantities we're wanting if we truly wish to leverage the quantities that are possible. Many people handwave this, but I do want to address this as it will substantially impact how you think about production as early as your first spring.

First off, if cash is your goal, you're going to want mass kegs, full stop. Which means you need a lot of Oak Resin, which is the only true bottleneck in production, as everything else can at least in theory be purchased (even if at punitively expensive rates) from vendors in unlimited quantities, given access to sufficient capitol. And you're going to want it *fast*. You're going to want to start brewing Hops into Pale Ale in your first summer if you're really wanting to go gangbusters on profits, so you already need kegs down and ready to process by the time your first set of Hops comes up. This means planting a substantial number of oak trees, with tappers on all of them, as soon as you possibly can. See if you can get a stand of 30 oak trees planted by the end of the first week of first spring, if at all possible. That's a 5x6 grid, if you want a mostly squarish rectangle, but you can shuffles those numbers around if you need to fit whatever footprint best fits the location planned for the stand. It also means you need a heavy focus on mining (assuming you don't want to bankrupt yourself trying to buy ores from Clint) since 30 tappers is 60 copper ingots needed probably by the end of Spring at the latest. It's also 1,200 wood to sink into this infrastructure investment, which isn't insignificant at that point either.

Once having done that, you then need to keep up with the oak resin. After all, if we're going to look at oak resin as our bottleneck, we're going to want to maximize our usage of that resource, as soon as it comes up. Which means we're going to need to be making 30 kegs per week. That comes out to 30 copper bars, 30 iron bars, and 900 wood being consumed per week for the foreseeable future, as you ramp up your production to industrial scale.

Furthermore, sheds ain't cheap either, and you're going to want your shed *finished* before you start making kegs. So the moment you have your tappers down, you're going to want to drop in on Robin to get your first shed started. That's going to set you back 15,000g and 300 wood. That's after you've just sunk 1,200 wood and 60 copper bars into your tappers, and with the knowledge that you're going to need another 900 wood, 30 copper bars, and 30 iron bars before the week is out. But wait... there's more! There's only room for around 60ish (67 with optimal layout on PC, less if you cannot access corners due to being on a mobile device or platform) kegs per shed, which means you're going to need to repeat this every two weeks, in addition to whatever other building upgrades you want to 'keep up with the Joja's'. Or, if footprint is an issue, you're going to want to start considering upgrading your existing sheds to Big Sheds, which will set you back a cool 20,000g plus 550 wood and 300 stone per each upgrade. So it makes sense to defer costs as much as possible until your returns start coming in so you can afford a smooth and even growth curve, meaning you build sheds first, then upgrade them after you have the final number of sheds you plan on building on your farm. This takes careful planning and foresight, as well as a very strict economic rationing and budgeting policy.

And of course, the biggest problem with all this is that it is hitting you during the startup phase of your business model, when you are the most resource-constrained. Later on, of course, you'll be rolling in millions and able to buy just about anything, but much of this needs to go down before you can start reaping those numbers, which leads to some very interesting strategies right out of the gate. As the saying goes, if you fail to plan, you plan to fail.

In short: Artisan goods are the highest profit margin items, bar none. Items like Pale Ale, Ancient Wine, Starfruit Wine, and even Pomegranate and Peach Preserves simply dominate and crush the competition hands down. So if cash is your goal, it isn't if you should sell artisan goods, it's how quickly can you get set up to start making them. Because the sooner you can get your production infrastructure established, the soon you can rake in millions per season. So I don't think a discussion on maximizing profits can really be had without also discussing how to put yourself in a position to actually accomplish this goal.