Keeping collected items

Marie

Tiller
Is it necessary for me to keep all the stuff I've collected in game? I have chests full of stuff. Can I just sell it all?

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
It’s legitimately whatever you want to do, you can act as an aspect to your real self and mirror that or be someone completely different.
Choose to be a minimalist, choose to keep items, most of the time it doesn’t matter, though more stuff is usually for the better.
Sometimes it may be more beneficial to put in a few days into just sorting everything in all your chests instead of throwing it all out, you never know what treasures or hard to get items you may have picked up along your journey…

Hill Myna

Farmer
First off, I'll tell you that I'm a hoarder, in every game I play!

Second, it probably only feels messy and somewhat useless when they're unorganised. So, I'd recommend finding an area on your farm that you think will be the most convenient: your House, a Shed, next to your Greenhouse, or anywhere else, and make it your dedicated storage area.

Organise it in whatever way makes most sense to you, colour code the chests, make sure they're all easy to access, add lighting so you see them at night.

Sort them by season, in-game category, location found, colour, or value, and make sure there's extra space in each chest for items you find later.

Leave 2-4 empty for expansion, and have additional chests to put any items that don't fit in any of your categories.

Then pick a number, 5, 50, 100, or whatever seems most logical to you, keep that many of each item, and sell the rest.

Now you can be proud of the items that you possess, knowing where each and every one is located, confident in your ability to list items that you own.

It probably won't feel like a mess anymore, and you'll be better informed as to what you are throwing away.

Hope this helps!

P.S. That got a bit poetic – I'm sorry! :D

Marie

Tiller
First off, I'll tell you that I'm a hoarder, in every game I play!

Second, it probably only feels messy and somewhat useless when they're unorganised. So, I'd recommend finding an area on your farm that you think will be the most convenient: your House, a Shed, next to your Greenhouse, or anywhere else, and make it your dedicated storage area.

Organise it in whatever way makes most sense to you, colour code the chests, make sure they're all easy to access, add lighting so you see them at night.

Sort them by season, in-game category, location found, colour, or value, and make sure there's extra space in each chest for items you find later.

Leave 2-4 empty for expansion, and have additional chests to put any items that don't fit in any of your categories.

Then pick a number, 5, 50, 100, or whatever seems most logical to you, keep that many of each item, and sell the rest.

Now you can be proud of the items that you possess, knowing where each and every one is located, confident in your ability to list items that you own.

It probably won't feel like a mess anymore, and you'll be better informed as to what you are throwing away.

Hope this helps!

P.S. That got a bit poetic – I'm sorry! :D
Thank you. This is a great idea.

Pangaearocks

Planter
Often I've kept a lot, like 1-3 copies of all different fish, but in the last save things have been more minimal. Still keep a fair bit in total, but no fish at all, and very few artifacts and things like that. Loads of minerals, stone and wood, but those are things you will need anyway. The approach depends somewhat on whether you have plans for a museum, where you lay out all the different types of fish or minerals and suchlike. Otherwise, I've found it's totally fine to sell most of what you gather. Some exceptions may be to hold on to some wild horseradish (for Krobus) and Leeks (for George), and probably other gifts I don't remember off the top of my head. Oh, and some of the items you need for quests for villagers (not the things that come up on Pierre's board). Like a starfruit, a hot pepper, an amaranth, and so on.

Lenora Rose

Farmer
I try to save "only" crafting materials, crafted items, mining tools (bombs and healing) seeds, favourite gifts, ingredients, and meals with buffs, which already feels like saving a lot of stuff.... right up until the fish in a pond demand a rainbow shell at the start of Autumn and I learn I have none saved over... (the rainbow trout in another pond had mercy on me within a couple of in game weeks, but wow.)

Cuusardo

Farmer
Save what you know you're going to need. If you don't need it, sell it or give it as a gift. (Give gifts with caution because everybody's got their likes and dislikes.😉)

There are also some things that you might want to collect just for the sake of having them. For example, in every farm I keep a collection of all the interesting weapons I find during my expeditions into the mines. There are also certain items that I like to collect as well and use as decorations.

crunchymaki

Greenhorn
I have a habit of hoarding but in my current farm, I've been trying to be more organised and have started sorting things in a dedicated storage shed. Mostly because I'm getting sick of not knowing which chest I put a particular thing I need at the time lol.