Just have a quick question about leveling my skills.

0._

Cowpoke
So, I have a save that is at I think Summer 8, Year 1 and I have fishing to level 5, mining to level 4, farming to 3 as well as foraging 3 and combat 3. But I really want to get to level 8 fishing by somewhere near Summer 26. I can't figure out a good way to get xp quickly. I have a fiberglass rod and the fisherman perk. I also have 1 crab pot placed down. I also want to know how to get my mining and farming level up fast. I'm really struggling with leveling my farming. I have a sprinkler system set up but it can only fit the crops that I'm growing right now and I can make more but then waste energy manually watering them as I am at a loss for copper right now, which I can get but just isn't something that I am ready to do because I've tried to farm copper without trying to progress in the mines but I'm at level 55 of the mines currently and I have a ton of iron ore but not as much copper. I have one of each summer crop other than melons growing currently, with melons being i think around 35 planted on my farm currently for the quality crops bundle. I have the others growing for the summer crops bundle as you could most likely infer. So, in short- I have three questions. How do I level fishing and mining fast? How do I level farming quickly? How do I get a bunch of copper and iron ore as well as coal quickly?

wildandblue

Sodbuster
Mining is one of my favorite things to do in SDV. If you need more copper, go back to the beginning levels, say starting at floor 5. Nothing wrong with repeating floors to get what you need.

Breaking rocks is what gives you mining experience points to level up, so it's good to know which rocks can help you most: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Mining.

You'll also find experience points for Farming: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Farming#Experience_Points
and Fishing: https://stardewvalleywiki.com/Fishing#Experience_Points.

I tend to devote half days to a particular activity. So I might do farming all morning, and mining all afternoon for example, early on in the game.

Hope this helps.

wildandblue

Sodbuster
Alright, thank you for the help! To anyone else that clicks on this thread, I still have a few unanswered questions. That being the ones about farming and fishing. Thanks for the help @wildandblue!
You're welcome. I edited after the initial post to add the experience points link for farming and fishing ... in case you hadn't seen that update and you'd find those links helpful.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Ocean Fishing seems to return you the most XP for that category but you need to get there early as many of the higher difficulty/XP fish stop biting by the afternoon. Additional Crab Pots use up almost no time to get some Fishing XP but are expensive to make and even with 5 checked every day (assuming you have Bait) that will get you less than 20% the way to your Fishing XP Goal in 18 days.

I find Farming XP is best when you stick to the high g crops like Melon as they also deliver the most XP per spot, especially if you need the time to devote to Mining and Fishing. You can get more XP overall with some other crops but you'll be watering, buying seeds, hoeing and sowing more. IMO stick with Melon (or Red Cabbage, Starfruit, Ancient Fruit if you've unlocked those. Quality Speed Gro is your friend when trying to get a second crop in such a short time but you can do it!

For Mining I just go through the Mines with time not spent on Fishing and get an upgraded Pickaxe ASAP to save time and allow you to break more nodes. You can get XP more quickly with Bombs but they're expensive. If you find one, save it fro a dense cluster and then Bomb it away! Floors 2-39 in the Mines have higher Copper Ore and 41-79 have more Iron Ore.

Last edited:

0._

Cowpoke
Ocean Fishing seems to return you the most XP for that category but you need to get there early as many of the higher difficulty/XP fish stop biting by the afternoon. Additional Crab Pots use up almost no time to get some Fishing XP but are expensive to make and even with 5 checked every day (assuming you have Bait) that will get you less than 20% the way to your Fishing XP Goal in 18 days.

I find Farming XP is best when you stick to the high g crops like Melon as they also deliver the most XP per spot, especially if you need the time to devote to Mining and Fishing. You can get more XP overall with some other crops but you'll be watering, buying seeds, hoeing and sowing more. IMO stick with Melon (or Red Cabbage, Starfruit, Ancient Fruit if you've unlocked those. Quality Speed Gro is your friend when trying to get a second crop in such a short time but you can do it!

For Mining I just go through the Mines with time not spent on Fishing and get an upgraded Pickaxe ASAP to save time and allow you to break more nodes. You can get XP more quickly with Bombs but they're expensive. If you find one, save it fro a dense cluster and then Bomb it away!
Thanks! So, I'm farming melons now for summer crops bundle and quality crops. I have a copper pickaxe and I got to floor 55 earlier. I might start going down the crab pot route as well so that I have passive fishing xp income while not having to use time to fish and can focus on priorities such as mining and farming. I posted another thread involving my plan for farming. Thanks for all the help!

Ereo

Helper
Always carry your fishing rod and if you see bubbles in the water, fish there until they disappear. You’ll have a much higher bite rate. If you aren’t, use bait, even if you have to buy it. It’s definitely worth the investment. Perfect catches give more XP, but catching treasure is even better. Always fish as far as possible from walkable tiles for better quality fish (also see the Wiki on zones).

0._

Cowpoke
Always carry your fishing rod and if you see bubbles in the water, fish there until they disappear. You’ll have a much higher bite rate. If you aren’t, use bait, even if you have to buy it. It’s definitely worth the investment. Perfect catches give more XP, but catching treasure is even better. Always fish as far as possible from walkable tiles for better quality fish (also see the Wiki on zones).
Alright! I already knew most of these things, but the fact that perfect catches giving more xp and catching treasure gave more xp as well is a big help! Thank you for helping out!

0._

Cowpoke

For Mining I just go through the Mines with time not spent on Fishing and get an upgraded Pickaxe ASAP to save time and allow you to break more nodes. You can get XP more quickly with Bombs but they're expensive. If you find one, save it fro a dense cluster and then Bomb it away! Floors 2-39 in the Mines have higher Copper Ore and 41-79 have more Iron Ore.
Also, I'm going to save all the melons that I farm this summer to pop into kegs once I get to farming level 8.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Also if you have loads of extra Wood then the Charcoal Kiln (at Foraging Level 4 - soon!) is a decent way to get Coal but it uses so much Wood that buying Coal directly from Clint is a decent option if you have extra g that first year. Yeah who's got extra g, right? But it's a reasonable option if you really can't find that Coal.

MogBeoulve

Farmer
The ice levels in the mines also have dust sprites, which drop coal when slain. They are typically my source for coal throughout the whole game. (Also, if you complete the dust sprite monster slayer goal, you can get even more drops.)

If you can get the cash but not the resources, remember that you can outright buy crab pots from Willy, along with the bait to fill them. Line them up somewhere you will pass by daily.

Hops are great because they regrow daily - but remember that when you make your plans. You will have to harvest them every single day to reap the full return on investment. Me, I get bored and run off to find some rabbits to pet.

The various aspects of the game interplay to guide you! You want to level up mining and need more sprinklers? The game is prompting you to go collect more copper, by mining, which will help level up your mining.
However, the sprinklers made with gold are much better! So the game is guiding you to push down to the gold levels, so you can make the quality sprinklers, which water 8 crops instead of 4. That would double your farming progress!
If you can complete the crab pot bundle you get 3 crab pots, that might help boost your fishing.

Jianadaren1

Farmhand
So, I have a save that is at I think Summer 8, Year 1 and I have fishing to level 5, mining to level 4, farming to 3 as well as foraging 3 and combat 3. But I really want to get to level 8 fishing by somewhere near Summer 26. I can't figure out a good way to get xp quickly. I have a fiberglass rod and the fisherman perk. I also have 1 crab pot placed down.
Fish at the Ocean, a lot. If you're having too much difficulty catching things, try the Mountain Lake. Do your best to get perfect catches. Fibreglass Rod is fine, but Iridium Rod is probably worth it when you get to level 6, especially if you're having trouble catching things (Trap Bobber).

I also want to know how to get my mining and farming level up fast. I'm really struggling with leveling my farming. I have a sprinkler system set up but it can only fit the crops that I'm growing right now and I can make more but then waste energy manually watering them as I am at a loss for copper right now, which I can get but just isn't something that I am ready to do because I've tried to farm copper without trying to progress in the mines but I'm at level 55 of the mines currently and I have a ton of iron ore but not as much copper. I have one of each summer crop other than melons growing currently, with melons being i think around 35 planted on my farm currently for the quality crops bundle. I have the others growing for the summer crops bundle as you could most likely infer. So, in short- I have three questions. How do I level fishing and mining fast? How do I level farming quickly? How do I get a bunch of copper and iron ore as well as coal quickly?
For mining, simply finish the mines, and then get started on the Skull Caverns. You don't grind mining. Mining comes with Skull Caverns runs. Skull Caverns runs also give massive amounts of ores.

For farming, you need sprinklers. If you have the rusty key, then you can buy iridium sprinklers.

To grind copper, just to floor 21 over and over.

To grind iron, grind floor 41 over and over (but don't worry about that until you've gotten to floor 80), until then just spend your time getting down fast (on good luck days if you can).

To get coal, kill tons of dust spires (little black bouncing enemies, floors 41-79). Alternatively, get (buy) lots of wood and put it in a kiln.

wildandblue

Sodbuster
Another fishing tip is be zoomed in so the fishing meter is bigger. I find that can make quite a difference in helping to snag those more difficult fish. When I'm zoomed out too far, it feels harder to get control.