Journey of the Prairie King reminds me of Tombstone City from Texas Instruments

KeySmasher

Cowpoke
Here is a video playthrough of this 1981 classic on the TI-99/4A (a Texas Instruments computer I had when I was a kid) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QV7uRR6VdKA
Journey of the Prairie King (JPK) reminds me so much of that game that I had to share this as I can't help but wonder if it may have somehow been the inspiration to JPK. This computer was also one of the first I learned BASIC programming for as it had it's own syntax and compiler build right into the operating system. I was only 7 when this game was released and it was probably within a couple years that I started programming on this computer.

Until recently, I didn't even know you could shoot diagonals in JPK which is partially why it felt so much like Tombstone City. When I saw a video of someone playing using a two stick controller (xbox wasn't specified), I felt robbed that all us KBM users had were four arrow keys. The Number Pad couldn't even be used as a substitute for diagonals. Then I tried using using up and right at the same time and low and behold, we have diagonals. I finally advanced to my first upgrade option, with only 3 coins to spend, LOL>

On another note, I noticed the JPK game was rather small and hard to see. I used the Stardew Valley zoom feature to zoom in as much as it will let me and then played the JPK game as well as Junimo Kart, and they both expanded to full screen. I think these should be at full screen regardless of the zoom level of the base game.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
Wow it does look remarkably similar, even with the spikes I presume.

It’s crazy how far technology has come, a game within a game can be far superior to something a few decades ago