Mac Is there a way of playing the 1.6 update on compatibility mode?

gutatu

Newcomer
Hello,
I play stardew valley with my girlfriend and we love playing it. but, she has an old macbook air, mid 2011, the last one 32 bit. I bought for her on steam, but recently steam stopped supporting 32 bit macOS, so I tried to buy the game on GOG I thought would have a compatibility on it. But GOG still runs 1.5.6H3.

Is there a way for me and my girlfriend play together on 1.6?

Lew Zealand

Helper
Yeah I only see the v1.5.6 Compatibility mode from GOG. I just loaded up Steam on my M1 Mac and there's a Compatibility Mode option under Betas for Stardew, along with a separate v1.5.6 mode. I installed that and it's v1.6.8 and macOS IDs it as an Intel app but as it ran on this Mac I think it has to be a 64-bit app? Nevertheless I have a 2011 MacBook Air I can try this out on later today.

An additional limiting factor is Steam's macOS compatibility but I think it's OK with OS 10.13.6 which is what the 2011 Air runs if I remember. I know it doesn't run on OS 10.11.6 on my 2009 MacBook Pros. Those are definitely stuck on SDV v1.5.6.

gutatu

Newcomer
Yeah I only see the v1.5.6 Compatibility mode from GOG. I just loaded up Steam on my M1 Mac and there's a Compatibility Mode option under Betas for Stardew, along with a separate v1.5.6 mode. I installed that and it's v1.6.8 and macOS IDs it as an Intel app but as it ran on this Mac I think it has to be a 64-bit app? Nevertheless I have a 2011 MacBook Air I can try this out on later today.

An additional limiting factor is Steam's macOS compatibility but I think it's OK with OS 10.13.6 which is what the 2011 Air runs if I remember. I know it doesn't run on OS 10.11.6 on my 2009 MacBook Pros. Those are definitely stuck on SDV v1.5.6.
So, Steam stopped supporting the macOS 10.13, that is indeed the last version a macbook air 2011 can run. I didn't know that GOG had beta options, I will try and see if it works, thank you for the idea

Lew Zealand

Helper
It works!

I just downloaded and installed Steam on my 2011 MacBook Air with OS 10.13.6 and yes Steam says on the top of the window that it will be 0 days until it stops working on this OS.

But Steam still runs.

Right click on Stardew Valley and choose Properties
Click Betas
Click the popup and choose compatibility - for 32-bit systems blahblahblah...
Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 9.55.41 PM.png

Close that window, install SDV and lo and behold:

Screen Shot 2024-05-02 at 9.53.44 PMa.png

And performance is pretty good too. This should work with any 2011 Mac with integrated graphics and may very well work with ones with a regular graphics card but I don't have any to test with.