1.6 Update Is it easier to gain [1.6 spoiler], now?

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
I mean, i haven't even passed half the 1st year yet and all of my skills, are either 5 or 6 level, with selected proficiencies and all... I remember needing like 1 to 1,5 years, to reach that score before, in 1.5! Has the xp gain changed a lot, with the newest update?

Squigglyruth

Planter
I mean, i haven't even passed half the 1st year yet and all of my skills, are either 5 or 6 level, with selected proficiencies and all... I remember needing like 1 to 1,5 years, to reach that score before, in 1.5! Has the xp gain changed a lot, with the newest update?
I don't think there have been any major changes to XP gains, apart from the XP gained from sowing seasonal forage seeds. Those now give less forage XP and more farming XP than they used to.
Possibly you are just playing in a more efficient way now?

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
I think gathering xp is easier from various actions. Especially fishing, i remember it being a long grind and a real drag. I am under the impression that now you level up your skills faster, by performing the exact same type and bulk of actions...

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
I think gathering xp is easier from various actions. Especially fishing, i remember it being a long grind and a real drag. I am under the impression that now you level up your skills faster, by performing the exact same type and bulk of actions...
Fishing xp hasn’t changed basically at all, you’re just playing better than you used to

Odyssey

Tiller
Whilst the XP system for fishing itself hasn't changed and therefore in your case I agree that either your improved skill at the fishing mini game or your knowledge of when and where to fish has caused the difference you noticed, it is possible to use the new bait types to gain more XP in a single day at the same base skill level.

Deluxe bait increases bite rate and the larger fishing bar makes it easier to get XP from perfect catches (which more than double the base XP from the fish), but in my opinion it's the targeted bait that really shines. Now you can choose a fish you can reliably get perfect catches on most of the time which has a decent base XP, craft a bait maker to make sure you rarely catch anything other than that fish and watch the xp come rolling in.

Bullheads are an excellent choice for this as a perfect catch leading to an Iridium fish gives 57xp, and they're much easier to get perfect catches on than various other fish that give 60xp for perfect catches. They're also available all day year round and the mountain lake doesn't take that long to walk to even if you don't have minecarts unlocked yet.