Solved I'm too old for this...

Dinduath

Newcomer
My wife, daughter and I play Stardew multiplayer all the time, this is our favorite family activity! Now though, I can't get the mods we use to load right. We play on separate computers, and have all the same mods, their mods load correctly, whether single player or multiplayer. Only my computer has this issue. Red text in SMAPI, skipped mods, 'mod not installed' (but they are), no manifest.json file?

I read the players guide to using mods, understood 'some' of it. I made sure all my mods are updated. I reset my content files with Steam's verify files thing.
I play on Windows 10, Stardew Valley game version 1.5.6, I think I figured out how to share this SMAPI log, https://smapi.io/log/30db8736a6384dcc92d19f43eef4132d.

I did some manual mods in the past, now I'm using that Vortex mod manager that Nexus Mods has, I don't really understand how it works or where it moved the mod files to. It gives me some weird 'file conflict' thing sometimes, I hit 'use suggestions' and it works. The file conflicts got worse after I reinstalled all the mods. I don't know if that has anything to do with this, but thought I should mention it.

I've uninstalled and removed all mods and reinstalled Stardew (I hope the Cloud save thing has all my farms). Stardew, alone, works fine, I only loaded one old farm that I knew was never played modded. I downloaded and installed the mods again, same red text. I've read tons of forum posts about similar stuff and it gets incomprehensible to me fast, I need hand held tech guidance like I'm an old man who plays pen and paper TTRPGs, cause that's my jam. This means a lot to my family, so I can't just throw up my hands in frustration and move to the next game.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance!

Mr_Jakob99

Farmhand
Okay, from what I'm seeing in your error log, Content Patcher is not installed. Try reinstalling it, without it hardly any other mod works if it adds new characters or something like that.
Also there is an i18n and an assets folder in your mods folder. These normally belong inside the file of a mod! So it seem like there was a problem with the unpacking of a mod from the .zip file.
Vortex can sometimes have issues, and you won't see them, because everything runs automatically.
So you have some options I think:
  1. Go to your wife's or daughter's pc and just copy the mods folder from them (on a stick, use a cloud etc.). Your mods aren't correctly installed, so just taking all of them from somewhere where it works should do the trick (And would be the easiest option). Or
  2. Install your mods manually. Make sure that when you unpack the zip file from the mod, you get one folder out of it. E.g. you have content-patcher.zip and after unpacking you should have a file called 'content patcher'. (One of the problems you have is, that while unpacking one of your mods, it wasn't put into the e.g. 'content patcher' file, but spilled all the mod contents that file should have had inside, into your mod folder.) So you should delete the assets and i18n folder at first to get rid of some error messages.
Can you list, which mod you want to install?

I hope this helps, if not or if something is unclear just ask :)

Last edited:

Dinduath

Newcomer
Thank you for fast reply! BTW love your avatar, big Hollow Knight fans here too.

1. I tried deleting and replacing my mod files from their computers. That did take care of the i18n and assets folder part. However the Content Patcher still wasn't recognized as existing.
2. In Vortex, I reinstalled, no dice, I removed and deleted the archive and redownloaded it, no dice.
3. Outside Vortex, I deleted and manually installed it (a couple times because Vortex was throwing a fit that I was modifying files without it), still no dice.
4. Then, I took the scorched earth policy to Vortex and uninstalled and deleted the archive files for every mod and then uninstalled Vortex and wiped every trace of modding off my PC. Virgin Stardew Valley. Then I did everything manually from the ground up and got it working!

Thanks again, we're overjoyed!

Mr_Jakob99

Farmhand
Yeah, it's my favorite game of all time. Stardew Valley comes right after ^^.

Sometimes a complete new start helps the most. Glad that I could help out a bit!

I wish you all a good time farming!!