Ideas?

HaleyRocks

Sodbuster
I have seen many people, building a Big Shed and filling it to the brim, with "Garden Pots". Is that so?

What is worth the effort, the fuss and most importantly, the time and resources, to add this in your farm? I mean, Big Shed full of kegs, Big Shed full of barrels/casks, Big Shed full of crystalariums, Big Shed full of storage or various machinery overall, are pretty much self explanatory... What is the most usual idea/mechanism, behind Big Shed full of Garden Pots? What to grow there that cannot be done in Greenhouse/Ginger Farm and is probably profitable to do so?

Ideas/suggestions?

MogBeoulve

Farmer
The idea is that you can maintain crops year-round in the shed, much like a greenhouse, while only using up a small amount of actual farm land (the footprint of a shed is small compared to the amount of pineapples you can grow inside). You can put kegs plenty of places other than your farm, so you reserve your farm space for growing more crops.

Personally, I am not a big fan of this method. Ginger Island has more growing space than I know what to do with. (Did you know that you can put pots of pineapples all over the untillable green tiles to the right of your house? And also up where the parrot express is stationed? I put so many that I groan when it comes time to collect them all.) I prefer to turn the majority of my farm into pasture.

On my current farm, I have about 25 garden pots in my house, with deluxe retaining soil. I just have blueberries and flowers in them. It's pretty fun, so I could see setting up a shed with profitable crops. I think it would be a lot of work without the retaining soil though.

Lew Zealand

Helper
Garden Pots in a Big Shed is a space efficient way to grow things only if you have Deluxe Retaining Soil because they cannot be watered with Sprinklers. You need to be able to walk between all the rows but they still take up less space and can grow most Crops but I think there are a couple that won't grow in them? In early game I use Garden Pots for Coffee Plants in the House (2 rows on the way to the door) until I get a bunch and re-use them later in the Greenhouse below the Fruit Trees for Pineapples.

But an extra Shed of them? Nah, that's too much work. I got a Shed of 1/2 Jars and 1/2 Kegs and visiting that twice a week is very much at my limit.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
It’s just more space for year round crops.

Honestly it’s more self explanatory than other machines in sheds like crystalariums as you can just store those off farm (much like your point about crops off farm on ginger island).

A few years ago I had 16 pot sheds which is a little over 2000 additional year round crops. I wouldn’t recommend more than a couple as they’re boring to harvest and honestly you can pursue more enjoyable forms of moneymaking. Also the pots and deluxe retaining soil aren’t exactly cheap on clay which isn’t the easiest to get en masse anymore.

In 1.6 the iridium scythe makes the pot sheds way better, not only can you fit a bunch more (as the scythe has a large wing reach) but it’s also a lot easier to harvest fast, only caveat is again clay being harder to get, but late in the game you can use my old clay farming guide to get something like 130 a day

VampireCake

Farmer
I remember someone who made a 'crop museum', one of everything nicely arranged, for aesthetics. I was thinking of doing something similar, or maybe making a flower shop the same way. Being *very* careful not to accidentally harvest things, especially now we have the iridium scythe. 😆

MogBeoulve

Farmer
Garden Pots in a Big Shed is a space efficient way to grow things only if you have Deluxe Retaining Soil because they cannot be watered with Sprinklers. You need to be able to walk between all the rows but they still take up less space and can grow most Crops but I think there are a couple that won't grow in them? In early game I use Garden Pots for Coffee Plants in the House (2 rows on the way to the door) until I get a bunch and re-use them later in the Greenhouse below the Fruit Trees for Pineapples.

But an extra Shed of them? Nah, that's too much work. I got a Shed of 1/2 Jars and 1/2 Kegs and visiting that twice a week is very much at my limit.
The only thing that won't grow in a garden pot is ancient fruit - which, fair, pineapples in pots with deluxe retaining soil is broken enough. And you do need the deluxe retaining soil; you'd waste far too much time watering without it.

Another fun thing you can do with garden pots is place them on untillable tiles on your farm. Since they are still on your farm, you can grow crops in them.

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
The only thing that won't grow in a garden pot is ancient fruit - which, fair, pineapples in pots with deluxe retaining soil is broken enough. And you do need the deluxe retaining soil; you'd waste far too much time watering without it.

Another fun thing you can do with garden pots is place them on untillable tiles on your farm. Since they are still on your farm, you can grow crops in them.
though at that point just place a building atop of those tiles and put them in there, most non tillable tiles are still buildable

imnvs

Local Legend
You only get one greenhouse. The GI farm is a trip.

Get yourself some Deluxe Retaining Soil and you never need to rewater, and it's more space efficient than growing outside, plus you can grow (nearly) anything. You can't do ancient fruit, but pineapples regrow forever and are plenty valuable. Profit!

Last edited:

MogBeoulve

Farmer
though at that point just place a building atop of those tiles and put them in there, most non tillable tiles are still buildable
This very true. What I do, though, is eke out little areas here and there that otherwise would go entirely unused because it isn't practical to put an entire building there, but a line of pots at the edge of growable space gives me just a few more usable tiles. (They are all filled with fiber because I'm too lazy to grow wheat in pots, and I can still use fiber to make grass starter.) It isn't supremely efficient, but I'm not doing anything else with those tiles.

Attachments

Last edited:

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
This very true. What I do, though, is eke out little areas here and there that otherwise would go entirely unused because it isn't practical to put an entire building there, but a line of pots at the edge of growable space gives me just a few more usable tiles. (They are all filled with fiber because I'm too lazy to grow wheat in pots, and I can still use fiber to make grass starter.) It isn't supremely efficient, but I'm not doing anything else with those tiles.
I Actually put my horse stable and/or silos down there, you can place them in a way that you can squeeze past and it's the perfect out of sight out of mind place for some of the uglier buildings, don't necessarily need the stable close when I get my horse flute

AveryGraham

Greenhorn
It’s just more space for year round crops.

Honestly it’s more self explanatory than other machines in sheds like crystalariums as you can just store those off farm (much like your point about crops off farm on ginger island).

A few years ago I had 16 pot sheds which is a little over 2000 additional year round crops. I wouldn’t recommend more than a couple as they’re boring to harvest and honestly you can pursue more enjoyable forms of moneymaking. Also the pots and deluxe retaining soil aren’t exactly cheap on clay which isn’t the easiest to get en masse anymore.

In 1.6 the iridium scythe makes the pot sheds way better, not only can you fit a bunch more (as the scythe has a large wing reach) but it’s also a lot easier to harvest fast, only caveat is again clay being harder to get, but late in the game you can use my old clay farming guide to get something like 130 a day
Thanks for the info, I will keep it in my mind.