I can't math

imnvs

Local Legend
I heard that using HSG as an Agriculturist to get a sweet gem berry is more valuable than other fruits or vegetables.
If you disagree, prove me with math.
Okay, here we go...

Sweet Gem Berry, grow time: 24 days, base value: 3000, investment cost: 1000
HSG, costliest ingredient is radioactive ore which is 300g value each so additional 300 investment cost (1 ore = 1 fertilizer)
DF costliest ingredient is iridium bar which is 1000g value each so an additional 200 investment cost (1 bar = 5 fertilizer)

Point #1: HSG+Agriculturalist: 13 day grow time, so 2 harvests using the same fertilizer (and this is the only way to get 2 harvests in season). For each tile used to grow sweet gem berries, you've now doubled your harvest. So for each tile you've now increased your total investment to 2300g for a base return of 6000g, without quality taken into account... but with it being 2 harvests, that is reduced to a 1150 investment, 3000 return per berry before quality.

Point #2: DF: 24 day grow time, so only 1 harvest in season. Since you only get 1 harvest, you are using 1 fertilizer/berry for 1200 total investment per berry and tile, and again this is before quality is taken into account.

At this point, the investment per berry is roughly the same, yes? The only thing that will change our equation is the quality of the berry... and only 1 of the 2 got any fertilizer to increase the quality, so that one's going to win out, per berry, every time. DF is the way to go. In fact, ANY fertilizer that increases quality will get a better return per berry every time.

However, you might be not be looking at the per berry return... you might be looking at the return per tile, and getting double the harvest, no matter the quality, is more valuable than increasing the quality, because the absolute best that quality can do is double your return (edit to add: and that can't happen unless you're using DF, but here we're already using HSG), and you've already done that. Quality is gravy at this point... but that's only on a per tile basis.

The specifics of the math don't actually matter. If you have limited space and are only growing in season, Agri+HSG is the way to go... but by the time you have HSG... you already have the Greenhouse and Ginger Island, which means you shouldn't have limited space. If you have the Greenhouse and Ginger Island, your best return for Sweet Gem Berries can be nothing other than Deluxe Fertilizer.

Last edited:

imnvs

Local Legend
I heard that using HSG as an Agriculturist to get a sweet gem berry is more valuable than other fruits or vegetables.
If you disagree, prove me with math.
Now... SGB vs other fruits & veg? Let's go with the cream of the crop, Starfruit.

All other things considered, it's just investment vs return. The fertilizer used could be used for either so makes no difference in the long run... unless you're worried about per tile, again.

Starfruit: investment 200 per, base return: 750, processed into wine: 2250, aged: 4500, profit: 4300 per fruit (limit: 250 aged per year)
SGB: investment 1000 per, base return: 3000, can not be processed, profit: 2000 per fruit (limited by quantity available at travelling cart, so between 16 minimum and probably no more than 24 per year)

That was per fruit, again. Now, again, if for some weird reason you're worried about per tile? Well, you'll get 3 harvests of starfruit in the summer, and 2 harvest of sweet gem berries in the fall... so... I'm not sure there's any competing here.

At this point, the investment per berry is roughly the same, yes? The only thing that will change our equation is the quality of the berry... and only 1 of the 2 got any fertilizer to increase the quality, so that one's going to win out, per berry, every time. DF is the way to go. In fact, ANY fertilizer that increases quality will get a better return per berry every time.

However, you might be not be looking at the per berry return... you might be looking at the return per tile, and getting double the harvest, no matter the quality, is more valuable than increasing the quality, because the absolute best that quality can do is double your return, and you've already done that. Quality is gravy at this point... but that's only on a per tile basis.
I am defeated... You won with logic.