I am very confused.

CrazybobC

Sodbuster
How can I prevent my crops from dying? I can't seem to figure out why I keep having crops die. Anyone know why it happens?
2022021812175500-C2B49A475DF5A340494292A1BD398579.jpg

Are they dying or disappearing? Because if they are dying, maybe it’s not the right season, and if they’re disappearing, there could be some little feathered demons getting to them.

CrazybobC

Sodbuster
Are they dying or disappearing? Because if they are dying, maybe it’s not the right season, and if they’re disappearing, there could be some little feathered demons getting to them.
This is after I harvested my final pumpkin batch. It's in fall and i have scarecrow all over the place.

Reactions: Tom

Hill Myna

Farmer
With this many crops, I like to surround the plots with lightning rods, at least 3-4 per each side.

I'm not sure if lightning rods have a range (like scarecrows do), but just in case I prefer to keep them close to the crops.
No, they don't have a range.

I like to have in between 20 and 30 rods to feel safe.

I use them to lock the grass starters in my pig pen. Yes, my Truffles are more important than my Pumpkins. Yes, I said they don't have a range...

FilthyGorilla

Local Legend
If you have enough lightning rods, it should be avoidable (unless you get back-to-back days of storms). I usually try to put down at least 10 lightning rods, I'm not sure what the best number is though.
Yeah, I should have gone further in detail but the chance for lightling to strike something other than a lightning rod goes down with more rods but never really hits a 0% chance.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.
Have a good day.

Yep I agree with PoppyforPenny, lightning is the likely culprit. FilthyGorilla you're remembering correctly, the chance to "intercept" a lightning strike is 1-(number of lightning rods not charging / total number of lightning rods)^2. So if half your rods are charging the next strike has a 75% chance of being intercepted, if 3/4 of your lightning rods are charging you've got around a 50% chance of intercepting the next one. If not intercepted, there's a baseline 25% chance of a lightning strike targeting a farm "feature" such as a tree or crop. That's impacted by luck buffs and daily luck. I typically shoot for 30 or so Lightning Rods and that typically does "well enough" that I don't feel the need to get more. That being said it'll never be 100% foolproof as the random dead crop in the middle of my fields can attest to.

Seems like you're far enough along to where it's likely just an annoyance rather than a huge problem. However if you're worried about it you can always check your fields right before going to bed on a day where it stormed and if something super high value was KO'd (like your first and currently only ancient fruit being grown outdoors with low lightning rod coverage in year 1, or your first and currently only sweet gem berry with a specific destination in mind or something like that) you can always quit out and restart the day. Worst case if you just don't have the coverage and your important stuff is getting hit just remember, lightning doesn't strike while you're sleeping ;-)

Elenna101

Farmer
Yep I agree with PoppyforPenny, lightning is the likely culprit. FilthyGorilla you're remembering correctly, the chance to "intercept" a lightning strike is 1-(number of lightning rods not charging / total number of lightning rods)^2. So if half your rods are charging the next strike has a 75% chance of being intercepted, if 3/4 of your lightning rods are charging you've got around a 50% chance of intercepting the next one. If not intercepted, there's a baseline 25% chance of a lightning strike targeting a farm "feature" such as a tree or crop. That's impacted by luck buffs and daily luck. I typically shoot for 30 or so Lightning Rods and that typically does "well enough" that I don't feel the need to get more. That being said it'll never be 100% foolproof as the random dead crop in the middle of my fields can attest to.

Seems like you're far enough along to where it's likely just an annoyance rather than a huge problem. However if you're worried about it you can always check your fields right before going to bed on a day where it stormed and if something super high value was KO'd (like your first and currently only ancient fruit being grown outdoors with low lightning rod coverage in year 1, or your first and currently only sweet gem berry with a specific destination in mind or something like that) you can always quit out and restart the day. Worst case if you just don't have the coverage and your important stuff is getting hit just remember, lightning doesn't strike while you're sleeping ;-)
I think it can strike while you're sleeping, actually - it might be a lower chance, I'm not sure, @BlaDe can probably confirm?

It used to be quite unlikely while sleeping, I believe. From the version 1.5 change notes: "Fixed overnight lightning not randomized correctly, so either every overnight lightning would strike or none of them would."

CrazybobC

Sodbuster
Most likely lightning, pretty much unavoidable and happens more often if you have a lot of crops (obv).
It's too bad but things do happen.
Also, nice sprinklers, year one?
Have a good day.
Yup! Year one! Keep in mind this is my fourth or fifth playthrough. Tryna complete the community center before year two. Scared it won't happen tho. Darn red cabbage.

nicodeux

Farmer
It is worth noticing that the "right amount" of lightning rods to feel safe against lightning strikes depends also of the amount of crops one farmer has.

Having less than 10 lightning rods when the farm has hundreds of tiles covered with valuable crops is risky. On the other hand, having 30+ lightning rods when there are only small patches of crops, is like wearing belt and straps on trousers.

Boo1972

Farmer
I had lightning hit a fruit tree only once and would like to have it happen again (I thought it was cool) so I average 10-15 lightening rods. I don’t lose an excessive amount of crops. On my beach farm, that’s more than enough for the small patch I use for crops. It’s not always enough for my battery needs though, at least early on.